• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 set ups

Well I have almost 300 miles on this skid and I CANNOT get this thing soft enough. I weigh 210 without gear and I've been moving the springs and revolver all over the place trying to soften this thing up. I have tried spring settings from 1 to 5 in revolver postion 2-3 and 2-4. When the skid finally does compress on a large bump or g-out it pops me right off the seat on rebound. I am begining to think I have the wrong spring/shock combination. The number on my shocks are DB-09. It is in a 05 rx 136. I put 130 miles on yesterday and it beat the hell of me. It just won't work as set up in the small trail bumps, this is where my mono skid shined. Time to give Jeff a call

You better call Jeff. No way the mono shines over the ZX-2 IMO.

Do you have problems with the small bumps at any speed or at some particular speeds?

You weight a tad more than me. I have mine at 2-4 and springs at 5 for agressive riding. If it pops you off at rebound you finally did bottom it out, this tells me you have the springs set too soft. When any skid compresses fully you will have the force of the impact transferred to your back and the back of the sled will be launched upwards, no skid in the world can keep this from happening. Bottoming is a NO NO that can eject the rider from the sled.

Please keep us informed on what you find :)

Definitly NOT bottoming out. When it does compress on a big bump it actually feels good--like its working -- but then pops me off the seat slightly on rebound ---even at speeds around 30 mph. I ride groomed trails and I'll be the first to admit I don't ride as hard as I used to. When I am on the secondary feeder trails I can feel EVERY bump. It seems if I ran over a dime I would feel it. On the higher speeed trails--50 to 80 it just dosen't feel as plush as i thought might be. I does take the big hits though.
These are the adjustments I tried in this order yesterday--Revolver 2/4, spring at 4, then 3 ,2,1,. Revolver at 2/3 spring at 3, then2,1, At the end just 130 miles I was beat to hell. I am aware on the position sensitve shocks you can run too soft a spring and get into the hard portion of the shock too soon but don't believe this is the case. Could I possibly need to run 2/4 and 5 or 6 on my spring?
Maybe I just bought the wrong skid for my style of riding?

"Maybe I just bought the wrong skid for my style of riding?"

Stain, this I can say for sure, if you have all the right parts and is installed correctly, is not the case. I was about ready to give up the sport due to my back, don't have a lot of miles on the new suspension so I will speak with limited experience. But the kick back that came from the 03 proaction would not allow me to ride anymore. I believe this is no longer the case. The first ride made a pretty big difference, only time will tell. I would definitly make sure you have the correct suspension and then make sure it is installed correctly and not defective (I'm sure this is possible with the amount of production going out) before I quit on the suspension.

Make sure you are setting On 2,4 or 2,3. Hole #1 will make it brutally stiff...I tried it. To reduce darting and tippiness, I found 2,3 to be the best setting for me and my skis. I also have to run my fox floats at about 20-30 psi to reduce the tippiness and ski lift. My A arms are slightly below parrallel and it rails.

Shane,

try this combo out for Canada. Running the A Arms so low does make the front suspension worse....but for Canada trails, it is more than adequate and also steers a ton better.

Stain, what is your track tension like? I think that if the tension is too tight, it will seem too stiff. Perhaps try loosening the track a couple of turns and see if that helps any.

I will admit I have been running my track tighter than usual after reading some stuff by mike knapp--hmmm- I guess I'll go out and loosen it up and see what happens

Good idea STAIN, I ride mine on the loose side of spec.

Stoutner,

I am definitely planning on letting the front end down some more. Still pointed slightly upward. Going back to Canada next weekend. Wanna head north with us?

Shane

Grimm said:
Stain, what is your track tension like? I think that if the tension is too tight, it will seem too stiff. Perhaps try loosening the track a couple of turns and see if that helps any.

Loosened mine up and it is much better, still can't find where all the vibration is comming from yet, I can feel it in the running boards but when I inspect track clearence problems I don't see any?

I feel the vibrations too. I think it's coming from the track rubbing on the back of the rear arm.

Shane said:
Stoutner,

I am definitely planning on letting the front end down some more. Still pointed slightly upward. Going back to Canada next weekend. Wanna head north with us?

Shane

I'd love to but I have to do a little maintenance on my sled and my Bank Account :drink:

When I let off the gas I hear this ratcheting type of sound coming from somewhere. It sounds like it is coming from my clutch. Track is tight...not track ratcheting for sure. It doesnt seem to happen as much when I hit the brake...only under engine braking is it really noticable.

I have not even looked at the belt yet...could be a belt???

....Any Ideas???

Well track adjustment has relieved a LOT of my problems. No longer does this skid pop me off the seat after big hits and it actually seems to work in the small stuff. I don't know what I was thinking-- I ALWAYS run my tracks loose and for some reason after reading some stuff on track tension I thought it would be better tight. Yes I am a dumb-#*$&@.
Rode about 75 miles today, started at 2/3 and springs on 5 but moved them to 4 after a while. Got to get on some hard groomed trails. Still seems as if it could be a little softer

Try going to #3 on the springs, but I wouldn't go further than that.

I am on spring setting #3 now (was @ #1) loosened up the track and I am pretty happy with this set-up other than the vibrations.
I weigh in @ 190lbs fully dressed and ride mildly aggressive.

Grim - I think your right about the track rubbing on the back arm, I see nothing else it could be.

Back