• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 set ups

kinger said:
Anybody go from transfer at 2 to 1? I may try that, mine really wheelies coming out of a corner.

I tried my transfer at 1 and thought that it made the sled ride really harsh. That really stiffens up the suspension over the short stutter bumps. Maybe you could try 1, 3 setting.

1, 4 sucked for me.

I've got 200 kms on the skid now. I've checked the bolts every 50 km or so with 47 ft/lbs torq and nothing moved so far. I looked at my track and have about 1 1/2 inchs of hang so I left it where it was at. I tried #3 preload setting it felt better in the nasty ditch trails but affected my handling on the trail. I set it back to 4 and got back the handling. I let the skid have more break-in time, maybe the shock will work in a bit and I'll end up staying with the 4.

Last weekend I had my bolt back out after 250 k. Tightened it up on the trail and it stayed in place for the rest of the trip (300K). I removed the bolt cleaned it off and reset it with red loctite. Tomorrow heading out for another 400k to 500k trip. Will report back after the trip.

So do I, until they no longer move.

700 miles on skid. In my opionion it is too stiff with too much rebound for GROOMED trail riding. I am at 2/4 and `1 on spring preload. Tried 2 on the preload today and was worse. I think that a revalve is in order. New Attacks ride better in the smalll chop. Higher preload causes excessive rebound. I do believe that the skid is tough and will outlast the mono. I ride GROOMED trails with speeds from 30 mph to 90 mph---what 90% of us ride. I think the heavier you are the more you will like this skid. I will wait untill EXCELL has a chance ot tune these shocks and revalve. I realize that the harder you hit this skid the better it works but that just is not real world riding.
BTW do any of you notice how much easier your sled rolls with skid vs. the mono?

STAIN - I started out with the preload set at 5 for the first few rides. Then I set it at 3 to test what it would be like, didn't like it had to go up so I went with 4. I can hear you on the rebound, we need more rebound dampening. I hit hard all day long and that is my real world riding, some of us do not have groomed trails and in my bumpy trails the ZX-2 shines, it is even better than the '07 Apex RTX skid.

It rolls cause by the added ride height and front arm pressure, suck in the limiter strap to holes 1 and 4 and feel the difference, you get more ski pressure.

Limiter has been sucked in. I think the 8 inch rear wheels really helps. Also track noise is down compared to the mono skid. I have been riding this sled back to back with an 06 apex gt and an 07 attack gt. The 07 Attack GT is the nicest riding sled I have ever ridden hands down.

The ZX-2 is not even close to be as soft as the Mono that's for sure, I have a mono sled so I know about that. But the mono can't take the big bumps any good :-(

How did sucking in the limiter strap work for you?

By taking in the limiter strap I don't get as much ski lift out of corners while on the power as before. I am wondering if I would not have been better off putting the fat boy spring in my mono and revalving for the rebound. I guess my biggest concern on the mono was durability. Plus the hyfax wear was irritating.
My mono would crash through g-outs and smaller sharp bumps thats for sure, but it was sweet in the short trail chatter.

Yes the mono shines in those conditions :)

Anybody resolve the rubbing issue? I feel the track rubbing at slower speeds (20-40mph). At high speeds I do not feel it...

Latest positions. Conditions - totally groomed trails, 10-15 F. Rider weight 205 fully dressed. Approx 500 mi on skid before adjustments. Increased preload to 4. Felt much better than 1 or 2, although not fully revealing because of the excellent conditions. Very fun to ride at positions 2 and 4 with predictable ski lift. Because of the perfect conditions, moved to position 5 "more skis" Less lift and more stable at higher speeds. At this setting, the sled has never handled so well. It carved better than I thought this sled was capable of.
After moving to position 5 on the revolver it seemed to lower the front end a bit, making the a arms totally parallel to the ground now versus being slightly raised on #4. I am totally happy with this position, but would still like to see a little slower rebound as others have mentioned. Other than that, I now have a brand new sled that I totally enjoy and can actually go in reverse without sucking a flap. One tip though from my experience - to facilitate changing revolver positions I found it easiest to back up onto a small log. This helped immensely and avoided me breaking another metal retainer ring on the revolver! Good luck and will report back on crappy trail conditions.

By the way, right hand side was the only bolt needing retorquing. Bottom swingarm bolt moved, loose, cleaned, new lock tite applied and retorqued. Will check next time I ride.

yammi said:
Latest positions. Conditions - totally groomed trails, 10-15 F. Rider weight 205 fully dressed. Approx 500 mi on skid before adjustments. Increased preload to 4. Felt much better than 1 or 2, although not fully revealing because of the excellent conditions. Very fun to ride at positions 2 and 4 with predictable ski lift. Because of the perfect conditions, moved to position 5 "more skis" Less lift and more stable at higher speeds. At this setting, the sled has never handled so well. It carved better than I thought this sled was capable of.
After moving to position 5 on the revolver it seemed to lower the front end a bit, making the a arms totally parallel to the ground now versus being slightly raised on #4. I am totally happy with this position, but would still like to see a little slower rebound as others have mentioned. Other than that, I now have a brand new sled that I totally enjoy and can actually go in reverse without sucking a flap. One tip though from my experience - to facilitate changing revolver positions I found it easiest to back up onto a small log. This helped immensely and avoided me breaking another metal retainer ring on the revolver! Good luck and will report back on crappy trail conditions.

Yammi, are you saying you are set on the shock preload setting #4 and the revolver at position 5?

Thanks!

Shane

Back