• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 set ups

Man, if you can't get your suspension to compress with preload at 2 with you at 210 lbs, and pins at 2/3, then maybe there's something wrong with your suspension or installation.

I can't see pulling up on the limiter helping you out, probably worsen it.

Are your ski springs at full soft?
Did you loosen track tension?
Did you call AD Boivin?

STAIN said:
It seems that those that are riding ungroomed/off trail really like the skid---any more in put from GROOMED trail riders? I am ready to go to #1 preload on my skid and try it, any thoughts on limiter adj? I am still trying to get some " cushyness" out of this skid.

Can't get any cushyness either, #3 on the revolver is supposed to be as good as it gets, then try different pre-loads to keep in in the soft spot of shocks. Didn't get a chance myself to try the 3 position before the snow melted.

A big issue that I found is that although AD Boivin wants the track tight due to cold weather contraction, I found that I run it loose like I did stock. With the ZX2 when the track is tight it tends to severely limit plushness and ride quality. Run your track as loose as possible without ratcheting and then make your adjustments. I also found that the pre-load settings in the manual are bit on the stiff side.

I spoke at length with Dennis and he said that the ZX2 is designed such that the front of the suspension rails should follow the contour of hte trail. Therefore, by tightening up the limiter strap will significantly decrease the effectiveness of the suspensions ability to provide superior ride quality.

I believe this suspension is one kick #*$&@ killer ride. The fun part is just figuring out how to get the set up you like for your sled and riding style.

Preload definitly not to high--been up there. Track is now super loose. Suspension is far better than when I started. Its not that the suspension is no longer compresing[ that was previous problem that was self inflicted ] and actually works pretty good now in the very short stuff and big rollers but still has alot of rebound and seems stiff in trail bumps. I was going from 6 on the preload and working my way down, afraid of getting the preload to soft but now I am going full soft and working my way up. ---When the snow returns!!!!
I don't believe these shocks are traditional position sensitive in the way we are accustomed to, with by pass holes in an inner tube but are some sort of progressive valve stack. Called Excell the other day and they have yet to fool with valving on these. It seems to me the valving may be too stiff for my riding if I am 215 lbs. and have to run the very bottom of the spring preload setting.

I run my track just the same as I did on the Proaction or Monoshock, as loose as possible without having it ratcheting. This would be twice as loose as Yamaha specs. When applying 10 kgs of force to the middle of track I get 6-7 cm or 2,5-3 inches gap. Fairly loose that is. When at +10C or 51F lifting the rear end off the ground, the track hangs down 12-13 millimeter or 1/2 inch.

I have no problem running it like this, if it ratchets tighten it one turn on the adjuster and keep on riding.

Thats where my track is at---just at the edge of ratcheting.

Personally, when I had my track loose and traveling at low speeds, my track seemed to rub a lot (with some noise) and cause a vibration. Also, the suspension seemed to sag a whole lot more when the track was loose, which didn't "sit" well :rofl: with me. Riding with the track loose may have caused my shocks to use their final spring rate, making it feel harsh. After tightening up the track a bit, the suspension felt a lot better. I think this suspension relies heavily and in relation to track tension.

On my last ride, I hit some pretty rough trails, lots of bumps, holes, g-outs, and moguls, that really tired me out. At the end of this 4km stretch, I thought something was wrong with the suspension (maybe a sense of paranoia due to bolts breaking, etc.) due to how tired and beat I was. However my buddy riding behind me (on a GSX) commented on how very little I had to stand up in those bumps and how many times he bottomed out. Then I realized that I don't stand up nearly as I used to in order to take the bumps and I didn't even bottom the suspension out all day.

The rebound should have been adjustable on the ZX-2. I run 5 for preload and I can notice it rebound too fast at times. The springs will set in after some 500-800 kms or 300-500 miles, it may cure the rebound issue just enough. Or I may have to go down to 4 on preload and give some away on the small bump capability.

On my mono I put the RA wheel in the middle, went up on preload until it only bottomed out occationally, then adjusted the rebound by going up on the RA until I had the rebound I wanted, usually 2-3 steps up from mid position on the RA.

Well after 500 miles on this skid I believe its starting to settle in, put 140 miles on today with revolver on 2/4 on preload on 1--its seems to the trail set-up I'm looking for. I kept thinking that it could be better until I rode a 07 Ski Doo renegade 1000---could not wait to get back on my RX!! I still think a revalve may be in order later as I am 215 and am on the lowest setting but I will put some miles on before I do anything. Might try a limiter strap adjustment [ tighter ] but will wait for some really hard trail conditions to make that determination-- it was pretty meally today.
I will say again ---this skid really takes the big hits and high speed g-outs --80mph plus--like nothing else.

I have pulled in the limiter to the middle position, works well. I weight the same as you, I would suggest you trying the preload at 3 or 4, at 1 you will compress the shocks into the firm part of its stroke when you step onboard making the skid ride firm. I rode with preload at 3 for 70 miles, when home I set preload at 4, I was too often in the firm part of the shock making the ride a little uncomfortable over the small bumps and stutters.

After todays ride I've been thinking about making another hole in the limiter strap half way between hole 3 and 4. I pumped up my Fox Floats from 70 to 75 lbs, now my front end is fully extended with no sag up front. This gave me a little too much ski pressure and too little transfer in the nasties. It was harder to get the skis up using the throttle. Out on the lake it was just great for drag racing and speed runs. I won't set the coupling to hole 1 on the revolver, this will give away too much over the nasties. Therefor making a new hole in between holes 3 and 4 may reduce ski pressure and give me back some of the transfer lost going from hole 3 to 4. I'm thinking of making the hole 3.5 in the limiter strap to better suit my needs. I may even email ADBoivin and suggest them to make the hole 3.5 HAHAHA

BTW - If you want it to rail, you will have to give away some softness and suck in the limiter strap. It's the only way IMO to get the ski pressure needed to make the sled rail.

With this skid we have to fight the added ride height at the rear of the sled.

After rereading this entire post I'm going to loosen my track. 2/4 4 preload it felt like the skid bottomed out or bucked me in some g-outs today. After the track adjustment I'll try 3/5 preload. So far I'm the only one with a 151 single shock version so I guess I'll have some trial and error.

Have you tried sucking up the limiter strap? It puts your skis back on the ground without giving away too much on the transfer. Anyway tell us how it works running it in transfer 1.

Back