• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

“Where are the rest of the Yamaha snowmobiles?” and speculating about our future.

yamajammer76

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2024 Arctic Cat Riot 600 1.75
For several years we’ve been saying that maybe Cat would sell itself to Yamaha, but then the Textron purchased happened. After that many have suggested that Textron would sell the snow line to Yamaha, but I honestly don’t think that will happen.

The fact is Yamaha could just shut down the snow division, but then that puts their dealers in the Snow belt in a tough spot in the winter. It also does not monetize any value out of a product line that they have sold for 50 years.

The best way to exit would be John Deere style. John Deere sold their snow division to Polaris in 1984. Textron handles parts and service for remaining Yamaha sleds. Yamaha dealers get a chance to sell Cats in the winter. Last, but most importantly Yamaha gets to supply 4 stroke engines to Textron for a certain amount of years. Textron would likely pick up a lot of diehard Yamaha 4 Stroke fans and increase market share.

Just remember if this happens you heard it here first. :)

Why not a AC sale to Yamaha. You would get to keep the 4 stroke line under the Yamsha brand and then introduce the 2 strokes under the AC brand. You would still have the efficiencies of longer production runs using s common chassis and suspensions but get yourself back in the 2-s market and save face on the 4-s decision.

Will Yamaha sell to Textron..Hmm. well one thing for sure Yamaha is going to sell engines to Textron for now, we have to stand back and really take a look at the direction Yamaha is going, yes.. as true blue riders we are not happy with what is happening with Yamaha seems to be direction, but lets just step outside the box and see if we can understand what Yamaha is trying to accomplish here, my thoughts on this are maybe Yamaha is breaking away from the Cat agreement, they have to clean up their inventory to save their dealer network, nobody is going to buy a new sidewinder for $20,000 plus taxes when you can get a year 17 sidewinder sitting in a crate at a dealership for $15000 for basically the same machine, that dealer was selling that machine for $17500 a year and abit ago, the dealer is taking a huge loss, this is happening across Yamaha's dealer network, Yamaha's consignment agreement is putting dealers at the point of closing shop, this I think is why we are paying such a high price for a new sidewinder to recover losses, Yamaha has realized that this model is not working for them where they have a lower market share in the snowmobile world, so they have realigned and come up with a new model to cater to the market share that the have and hope to gain in the future, first, they have lifted some restrictions on the consignment agreement, so dealers do not get backed up with left overs by not ordering the amount of sleds they are required according to the old agreement, I believe you will see one maybe two sleds in their dealer ships on display for sale, the rest will have to be ordered, also I think Yamaha after a lot of the leftovers get bought up and the Cat agreement dissolved you will see a new Japan built sled 2020-2021, Yamaha will continue selling Cat built sleds but only the models that are big sellers for now, once Yamaha gets realigned and away from the Cat agreement a all new Yamaha built will be in their sled line up,... its built.. and already being tested, I think Yamaha sleds are far from over,... on a funnier note when Yamaha releases their all new Yamaha sled line up, all will be forgotten and Yamaha has completely redeemed itself. see what happens

For several years we’ve been saying that maybe Cat would sell itself to Yamaha, but then the Textron purchased happened. After that many have suggested that Textron would sell the snow line to Yamaha, but I honestly don’t think that will happen.

The fact is Yamaha could just shut down the snow division, but then that puts their dealers in the Snow belt in a tough spot in the winter. It also does not monetize any value out of a product line that they have sold for 50 years.

The best way to exit would be John Deere style. John Deere sold their snow division to Polaris in 1984. Textron handles parts and service for remaining Yamaha sleds. Yamaha dealers get a chance to sell Cats in the winter. Last, but most importantly Yamaha gets to supply 4 stroke engines to Textron for a certain amount of years. Textron would likely pick up a lot of diehard Yamaha 4 Stroke fans and increase market share.

Just remember if this happens you heard it here first. :)
This makes no biz sense whatsoever...lol...Yamaha has no snow division to sell to anyone. Yamaha is an engine company and can sell their snow engines to any company that wants to buy them. Textron has little interest in AC no interest in Yamaha. Lo

I wanted to be sure that you all saw this post.. it was a letter form Yamaha:

YAMAHA GOES ‘HEADS UP’ FOR 2019 WITH RELEASE OF SIDEWINDER SRX LE

Return of SRX, 5 LE Spring-Only Models, And Electric Start Snoscoot Highlight Enhanced 2019 Line-Up

March 6, 2018 – Yamaha has rocketed off the line into 2019 with the release of the all-new Sidewinder SRX LE, a snowmobile engineered for top speed fanatics who want the fastest production snowmobile ever built.

The SRX incorporates Yamaha’s potent Genesis 998 Turbo four-stroke motor into a lowered chassis, Camso Ripsaw 1 track with 1” lug and handlebar adjusted electronic Fox IQS suspension. SRX owners will exude confidence knowing their snowmobile is primed for heads up competition. To see the SRX in action, click here.

The SRX is one of 5 Yamaha Limited Edition (LE) models for 2019, others include Sidewinders in L-TX, X-TX, B-TX and M-TX variations. LE models incorporate upgraded features and graphics and are only available with a deposit during the Spring Power Surge sales program from March 6 – April 16, 2018. Further information on all 5 LE models, with their upgraded suspension, unique track options and additional accessories, can be found on Yamaha’s US and Canadian 2019 Snowmobile Launch Pages.

The Snoscoot returns for 2019 with the addition of standard electric start, a flashy, new Orange colour scheme and more accessories than ever before. The Snoscoot was an instant fan favorite after its debut last year and these enhancements are sure to keep the Snoscoot in high demand.

What’s new at Yamaha is exciting, but what is not returning is big news too.
2019 sees a number of units removed from the Yamaha line to address an inventory imbalance in the market place.

Yamaha Snowmobiles North American Team Leader Peter Smallman-Tew explains, “We want our dealers to have long-term, stable profitability. We can’t control snow, but we can ensure they are selling profitable, current model year snowmobiles. Right now, dealers have too many carry over models, so we need to correct that. One way to do this – an approach we and our competitors have traditionally adopted - is spend your way out by attaching big rebates and miniscule finance rates to carry over inventory. This will sell some snowmobiles, but it devalues the current year models and affects our relationship with our loyal Spring deposit customers. It becomes a race to the bottom, and that is not healthy for the industry. Customers don’t want to buy current year units if those units will lose much of their value the following year because of rebates.”

Smallman-Tew explained further, “For 2019, we’ve made a tough decision to limit our 2019 production to key, high volume snowmobiles and place even more emphasis on our Spring Power Surge early deposit program. These measures will help to reduce dealer inventory and maintain greater value and demand for Yamaha snowmobiles. Our dealers, and most importantly our customers, will enjoy a healthier relationship with our brand.”

Customers keen to get their hands on a 2019 Yamaha snowmobile will want to ensure they place a deposit in the spring, as some 2019 models like Sidewinder B-TX and Sidewinder M-TX will only be available in the spring.

On the topic of spring deposits, Yamaha’s Spring Power Surge program will be even more exciting for 2019. Apart from the usual incentives like accessory credits, extended warranty, and attractive finance rates, Yamaha intends to reward those customers who place a deposit and register a 2019 unit. Each customer will be entered into the SPS Sweepstakes, where they can win 1 of over 100 Yamaha prizes, including Pressure Washers and Generators. Not only that, but three ‘Win Your Purchase’ prizes are available to be won for customers who place a spring deposit. More information can be found here for the Canadian program and here for the US.

Yamaha is building off a strong 2018 and has boldly stepped into 2019 with the new Sidewinder SRX, an enhanced line-up and aggressive new Spring Power Surge sales program. The time to Conquer Snow is right now.

Complete model information is available at Yamaha-motor.ca or Yamahasnowmobiles.com

Whitedust is right, when a corporation sells, they are selling inherent value. Yamaha has no value in it's snow division. Textron already has access to the engines, and all the rest is their Intellectual property already. They are not buying a customer base, as none are under contract. If anything, they may gain a dealer network. And that has diminished, there is no value.

On that same note, Textron spinning off AC, would give Yamaha full rights to the intellectual property in the snow division. The engines would be interesting as I doubt they are using those in any other lines. They would not be buying the engineering team, as the real engineers all took an early retirement less than a month ago. They are all gone!

Neither would have much gain by buying out the other. Yamaha buying AC from textron would be most likely, but even that is very slim.

Yamaha is truly cleaning house of many things, and the sled division may just be the next. As I mentioned in my sled group on Facebook, it hurts to have the conversation after owning so many Yamaha sleds. I'm glad my Apex has many more miles left in it.

Last edited:
I think that's Yamaha's way of trying to let there loyal customers down easy. The letter has merit but, the trend in company interest in the snowmobile line appears to have been waning for years now. Just my opinion.

Yamaha is truly cleaning house of many things, and the sled division may just be the next. As I mentioned in my sled group on Facebook, it hurts to have the conversation after owning so many Yamaha sleds. I'm glad my Apex has many more miles left in it.

You're probably right and we are all just wishful thinking to ease the pain a bit when you know an old friend is going to die. I think they will wait to make the announcement about the discontinuation of snowmobiles until February-March 2019 to help sell all the inventory they can until then. It's coming. We all know it, but don't want to admit it.

I think that's Yamaha's way of trying to let there loyal customers down easy. The letter has merit but, the trend in company interest in the snowmobile line appears to have been waning for years now. Just my opinion.
I don't think so, I think they are moving away from Cat, they are trying to get rid of as many procross left overs as they can, the are not investing in the pro cross chassis anymore than they have to, new stickers, shock packages that's about it, Viper will be gone next year, but Viper guy's not need to panic what's coming to replace the viper will be cutting edge and pure Yamaha.

I agree that this letter is sort of an easy let-down for loyal Yamaha customers. It is designed to give just enough hope for a future with the brand that people will still buy the left over sleds. I predict the plug gets pulled on the snowmobile division around February-March 2019. By then the dealer inventories should be low enough a few orphan sleds won't be a big deal. With most of them being Yamacats parts should be available for many years so even though it's an orphan line it should still be a safe purchase.

What I don't like is the excuse on the slow sales is because of low snow. That is just BS in my opinion. The majority of slow Yamaha sales is because of an extremely stale lineup with holes all over the place. Anyone really want to buy a "new" 10 yr old design Phazer when you can get an ACE 900? How about a Viper on a chassis that's been around since 2012 with no upgrades VS. a 900 turbo? And for all the guys begging for a 2 stroke from Yamaha just get ignored. When year after year your customers are asking for updated suspensions, updated electronics, updated bearings, updated side panels, updated this, updated that; and instead update nothing but just sugar coat the release of "our customers want the fastest sled" #SRX? Hello! Yamaha already has the fastest sled for the last two years.

If Yamaha wants sled sales to take off, offer something new once every three years or so; is that really too much to ask? IF you are in the business, then act like you care. How about the sales success of the 2014 - 2015 Vipers, or the Sidewinders! You bring new products to the table and POOF! your customers will reward you with sales, plan and simple. Oh, and you can still release new products your customers are asking for and still do the same low volume spring order program you have now and still not flood the market. Take the new Polaris 850 for example, It looks like that is spring order only.

So sad considering how well the wheeled and water divisions are delivering new products to their customer base consistently.

I don't think so, I think they are moving away from Cat, they are trying to get rid of as many procross left overs as they can, the are not investing in the pro cross chassis anymore than they have to, new stickers, shock packages that's about it, Viper will be gone next year, but Viper guy's not need to panic what's coming to replace the viper will be cutting edge and pure Yamaha.
I am not holding my breath. You are optimistic and I applaud that. I sure hope you are right.

adubs916 you make many good points. I recently purchased a 2017 Yamaha Raptor 700R. It wasn't much different from the same machine I had purchased back in 2007. I kept waiting for Yammi to upgrade the machine with a bigger engine or something to freshen up the quad. Same basic machine with mostly BNG for over 12 years now. Yamaha does seem content with releasing something new about every 4-5 years. While Doo and Poo are releasing something new every couple years. Maybe that's why Yamaha has been 4th in snowmobile sales for 20+ years. Conversely, that's why Doo has been #1 for many years. And Polaris seems to have taken a more aggressive stance in the last few years. Seems they want to expand there customer base. Yamaha? Not so much.

Back