• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 Rs Venture engine noise

Wilson

Expert
The last time i rode my sled when I shut it off it had no noise . Now when it is at idle it has a dry rattling whirring noise . I can't tell where it is coming from at first I thought it was the clutch but i took the cover off and it doesn't seem to be coming from there . It seems like it could be coming from the exhaust but I can't see any thing loose . I heard the same noise coming from an RX1 on the Manitoba ty ride. We thought it was the clutch .
I think I might take the clutch off and see if the noise is still there .
Has any one had any thing like this happen on the 3 cyl four stroke ?
I hope this isn't going to be the first 3cyl four stroke to blow up .

It is probably the clutch. Call your dealer, they have a shim kit they will install probably for nothing. It will quiet the clutch for about 200 miles or so, and the noise will come back. Yammi says it is do to harmonics from the 4 stroke engine pulses of the triple. But the clutch will still be in spec.

My far right cylinder started leaking at 9,950 miles. The sound of the motor which was not normal was the clue.

Replaced all three exhaust seals as well as the single pipe connecting seal underneath in the tunnel.

According to my dealer these seals are not covered under YES.

They are a wear/gasket item.

Currently have 10,486 miles on my 05 RS Venture.

Hope this helps! ;)!

I think it is some thing in the exhaust but have no figured out exactly where it is coming from . It also comes and goes . I put 410 km on it this weekend and it is not as loud now . I will probably leave it till end of season as I want to take the skid out and check the bushings . I am also going to order a shop manuel . They don't have very good ones but are better than nothing . I would also like to thank you for your tip on the rear spring bracket . I made and installed one of those .

I rode my sled for a couple of hundred miles before I could find the problem. The sound progressively got a little worse.

You hear the sound more when the engine is cold. As engine heat builds up the exhaust gasket starts to seal better and every thing sounded pretty normal when riding.

There is a metal shield cover at the engine exhaust /manifold pipes.

Upon repair of the exhaust seals we found the shield was sooted over the leaking cylinder.

In my opinion, I wouldn't run too long without repair. Could be more expensive should something else become damaged.

Thanks, and glad to help! ;)!

Dont go too long with a leaking exhaust. If its the cylinder head to pipe connection, hot gasses pushing thru will erode the softer aluminum head. That would be an expensive repair.

Was the leak right at the head ? or where the flex pipe joins the exhaust pipe . I will probably only ride another 2or300miles this year . I am planning to drop the track and replace all of the bearings when I do the exhaust . I would rather do all of it at the same time . I suppose I could just not ride any more this year . Thanks for your help we don't get much Venture input I guess there are only a few of us on this site .

Was the leak at 1 or 4

Attachments

• Venture exhaust.gif
    Venture exhaust.gif
    58.9 KB · Views: 107
Ok from the other post I figured out that it is the donuts. do you do it from the top or does the track have to drop?

Attachments

• Venture exhaust.gif
    Venture exhaust.gif
    58.9 KB · Views: 166
Wilson,

That is the same cylinder pipe "donut" that was leaking on mine.

Fix it from the top. The seat and fuel tank needs to come out. Quite alot needs to be removed before you can get to the pipes.

Hope this helps! ;)!

Wilson,

Looks like we have the same thing going on with our sleds. I am not sure if I am going to tackle the job myself or have the dealer do it. I was not sure if the job had to be done from the bottom or top, until Hondo steered us in the right direction. Good luck.

With the warm temps coming in my neck of the woods, it looks like I won't have to worry about it much for the rest of the year anyway.

I did my exhaust donuts today . It is not that hard it will be a lot easier next time . There is no need to loosen the muffler ,just remove the two 5mm allen keybolts holding the front exhaust pipe and it will slide back .
I recommend replacing the exhaust clamps as well as they wear from vibration and are loose ,I didn't have new ones so I ground off the spacers to make them tighter .My opinion of the gaskets and clamps is that they stink . The gaskets are to soft that is why they wear out so fast .
I think this is another every 7000k job along with the bushings in the front suspension . Hondo if you have not done yours yet they are likely worn right out . I would like to thank you for your help .

Thanks Wilson,

One good reason for having this site. :rocks:

Funny you should mention front bushings. I was replacing the carbides on my precision skis when I discovered alot of bushing play.

The bushings are still functional. Never-the-less, I ordered new bushings. They should be in next week.

I would not have discovered the play if I didn't have the sled jacked up in the middle on the front frame.

Thank you Wilson for the heads up! ;)!

Current mileage on my sled 11,435 miles.

Hondo: You probably already know about this, but, ...

Did you order the bulkhead bushings. They are not shown in the tech manual and these were the worst worn on my 04. The bulkhead bushings are not in Pioneer's replacement kit either. You may also need some of the nylon spacers/seals/washers.

The bulk head ones in mine were worn right threw ,metal to aluminum for some reason the aluminum didn' t wear . I plan on taking mine apart again after season and installing grease nipples s in the a arms ,and staking the bolt so that it doesn't move in the bulk head . My theory no movement no wear . I will Post more on this when do it .

Back