• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 rx1 DARTING

You shim under the rubber at the back of the ski rubber. Most guys use something between 1/8" and 1/4" thick. The idea is to give the skis a toe up attitude.

You will need a piece about 1 1/8" across and as wide as the rubber piece of ski saddle.

Glue/screw it to the bottom of the rubber piece and hopefully end up with about an 1/8" gap under the front of carbide if it is sitting on concrete.

I will look for a link to a better description for you.

I am running px301 skis by usi. They are older skis that I bought used. I like them enough we have them on my wife's sled too.

I wanted more floatation for off trail was why I switched skis.

Shimming loads the rear of the ski lifting the front. It also causes harder steering or at least it has on every one I have ridden.
Shimming should make for easier steering... at least in my experience and the reading I have done.

Always interesting to see the different results people get with mods.

When you shim the rear of the rubber bumper you tip the front of the ski up and the rear down. that increases the amount of wear bar on the ground behind the spindle and will increase steering effort! I have tried everything from setup, shim's wear bar's and ski saver's to ski's to solve this problem with the biggest waste of money being ski's! The only thing that 100% solves the problem with out pushing or hard steering is SnowTracker's!!

I have an 2003 RX-1 wifes sled darting real bad sliding in the corners real bad was told to run snow trackers read up on them some people say they are dangerous to use it will flip you off sled Im looking for input on these or getting dual runner skis ?

A real agressive rider will find them selves carrying higher corner speed due to the fact that the trackers bite better and will have less push in the corners. When in loose enough snow to get some push people tend to turn the bars farther to try to get the sled to come around and then when they catch hard snow the Tracker's will bite and can catch you by serprise. It does you no good to turn the bars farther when your not hooked up any way its just that conventional bars are more forgiving in these situations. If your not a real agressive rider I suggest the semi agressive Tracker's.

Shimming loads the rear of the ski lifting the front. It also causes harder steering or at least it has on every one I have ridden.

Shimming is supposed to unload the front of the carbide, you can overdo it and load the rear but best is load the center. Worked well on my RX but did not totally eliminate the darting just improved it on stock then Simmons then Curve ski's. I tried the Curves on my 2011 but after one winter changed to Snowtrackers on my stock ski's. Best thing I ever did. Sled tracks, turns and feels more positive then it ever has. Going to put snowtrackers for the stock ski's on my warrior something I should have done from day one!

On hard packed groomed trails my sled darts all over the place sometimes it's kinda scary because it's so unpredictable on what it's going to do . Is there any way to fix this ? Changing skis ? Adjustment anywhere ?

I'm with the ones that are telling you to make sure the front end is tight. My 05 Warrior had slop in the bushings from new. Take out the play first and align as recommended by the carbide manufacture and or Yamaha.

I would recommend snowtrackers and they are installed with no toe or 0 toe.

I have an 2003 RX-1 wifes sled darting real bad sliding in the corners real bad was told to run snow trackers read up on them some people say they are dangerous to use it will flip you off sled Im looking for input on these or getting dual runner skis ?
I read the same thing not diggin that at all ..

One post long time ago on hardcore sledder is the the only post. A thousand posts that love snowtrackers. Go figure! Thousands of mile and still haven't flip my sled yet!

One post long time ago on hardcore sledder is the the only post. A thousand posts that love snowtrackers. Go figure! Thousands of mile and still haven't flip my sled yet!
Does the sled ever feel like its unpredictable in the corner with the snowtrackers ?tippy ?

Exactly the opposite, I put them on my wife's Phazer a few years back with out her knowing. First ride she said that was the first sled she felt confident enough to meet oncoming traffic with!

Exactly the opposite, I put them on my wife's Phazer a few years back with out her knowing. First ride she said that was the first sled she felt confident enough to meet oncoming traffic with!
I consider myself an aggressive rider which ones do you prefer and why ?

I would do the agressive's and be aware of over steering in loose conditions. You also may find your self cornering at a little higher speed than you could before because they don't push like most bar's. A semi agressive trackers bite about like a normal carbide. They also can be a little more sticky on surfaces like bare plywood on a trailer, like a new sharp carbide would. As stated above make sure everything is tight and set toe to 0 with no shimming under the rubber bumpers. You will go straight down the trail with one hand like you never thought possible!

Back