• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 RX1 Rear suspension grease zerk install

sledheadron

Just got done installing zerks in the rear suspesion. Had to tig weld bosses so the zerks didn't hit the shafts, 5 different places. Hardly a spit of grease on the stock shafts from the factory.

Not as bad as it sounds, used 1/4-28 zerks and used a 1/4-28 nut for the boss. Need to tig them to keep the heat to a minimum, looks factory. but I thought I would let everyone know-no grease on the shafts=corroded shafts in a hurry.

I have been thinking about this no zirk issue... It makes no sense. Probably a bunch of engineers under pressure to reduce weight and contain expense.

If it weren’t the chance of breakdown in the middle of a vacation, I'd just buy the extended warrantee. But since seat time is a factor, I believe installing zirks by year 2 is the smart way to play it.

Oh yeah I had a hard time getting the new style skid back in. Easier to get into the track but to get the rear bolts in I had to loosen the spring preload and use a ratchet strap to colapse the suspension a bit. Tried moving the coupler both ways but i didn't seem to help. Make sure you have a small ratchet strap on hand makes the job OK

Jim, I can fix your name for you...you should email me. As far as the skid, if you disconnect the weight transfer rods it will go right in.

Why install grease zirks...?

Do you guys think that the engineers at Yamaha just forgot to add them or something? :?

There must be a reason for keeping them out of the design. We used to lube our car suspensions as well but everything on cars is "greaseless" as well. I think it's just the evolution of suspensions. No zirks needed!

But...I guess time will tell!

Yamaha admits that the zerks were an overlook on the monoshock rear suspension. They told my dealer this at the tech update and said they MIGHT cover the cost on installing them If people complained enough. I certainly didn't wait for that to happen and had them install I think 4 zerks. It cost about $ 90or so. I wasn't happy paying for this but I certainly look at It as preventative maitenance instead of pulling the suspension or pay the dealer every year to grease It as yamaha suggests.
So far the only minor issue I've had with my new yamaha since jumping ship from Polaris. Of course I've haven't ridden It yet, but no worries. :Rockon:

Jim

blue05rx1 said:
Yamaha admits that the zerks were an overlook on the monoshock rear suspension. They told my dealer this at the tech update and said they MIGHT cover the cost on installing them If people complained enough. Jim

Wow...I had no idea. :?: They ACTUALLY claim they did forget! My take on the issue was that they did it on purpose to allow the dealers to reap more service revenue through the replacement of the skid bushings every season. But...I don't think they would ever admit that. :D Afterall....these machines are as close to maintenance free as you are going to get....you need to give your dealer network some form of revenue from services!

No lack of revenue to the Ski-Doo dealers....lots of stuff to fix there ;)!

I really dont think Yamaha admited to that, I was at the same training and I posted on this issue...they said after several seasons of testing, they found no wear....and they suggest pulling the skid every year to greese the skid cross shafts.

All the cross shafts and bushings are the same as the old pro action skid, aluminum shafts and black plastic split bushings, and there were always zerks there in the past. The only exception is at the top front 2 pivots they are the nylatron type bushings. This is the only spot you may not need zerks but I put them there anyway.

Rxwonder is right. I forgot that my wife's car doesn't have zerks. I don't think Yamaha or any manufacturer would admit to forgetting, thats just hearsay.

Back