• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 gt still bottoming after revalve

dave_dj1 said:
i think you also have to remember you are riding a "groomed trail sled" and not a ditch banger, it's like comparing a road bike to a motocross bike, it's just not made to handle that kind of trail well.

I think the whole GROOMED TRAIL thing is a joke.... Ive never seen a trail stay GROOMED for long..

The RTX isnt a rough trail sled either.. its still to soft..

A sled is a sled.. it should be made to work in all conditons... Like pol,cat and doo sleds..

I went with a heavier weight shock oil(Amsoil blue),and really made a difference.
If BIG BUMP is your thing,you bought the wrong machine,with the wrong suspension. IMO, I ride Wisconsin and UP Mich. TRAILS ,and 90% of the time ,when the susp. is set correctly, this sled will out ride anything out there.

Apex GT with revalve and updated head seal is a fantastic rough trail sled! Better than my 08 Nytro. Adjusting the rebound dampening is also very important to prevent bottoming.

reaper, how do u agjust dampenming to stop bottoming, And i agree, a sled is a sled gt or rtx this suspension from the factory does not handle the bumps, as stated the trails never stay smooth and i hate being limited on my riding because thier might be to much traffic and the trails might be to rough for the gt but the doos dont have a problem thier out thier,

Reaper how do set the rebound, im deterimed to get this thing to handle the rough

I'm goin back to my first post. Once- YOU- have the skid set-up properly,- YOU- will love it!! Quit complainin and get to the garage! Set up the set-in specs. Then go up with the pre-load one thread at a time, untill -YOU- dial the bottoming OUT. Then-YOU- can use the electric adjustment to dial it in even closer for the conditions -YOU- happen to be in at the time. Don't get so nervous, just set it up properly. You say -YOU have zero pre-load, if ya look in the book, YOU have alot of adjustment there, Use it!! ! thread up at a time! I just watched the Nas-Car boys, they dial those cars until theres no more race to race. -You- will get it GREAT just play with it!!

i agree with Honk.
I had my 06 GT revalved by Bruce, he also set it up with a stiffer spring (190lbs with gear also) and i think it rides great on the average beat trails in Western NY. Only occasional bottoming on big G-outs and I keep it on the softest setting and have the pre-load set right on the tight side of the spec. I have not played with the pre-load since the install, though. Honk has me thinking I might need to tinker now...

Anyhow, I also rode Old Forge to Tug Hill the other Holiday weekend (presidents day) and caught 18 miles of 3 ft rolling G-out whoops on Saturday, and I had to stand up the whole trail. Mine started bottoming hard after a few miles, then starting bottoming when I cranked up the EC to the hardest setting which seemed to get worse the more the rear suspension took a beating which forced me to slow it down a bit.
Initially I thought I blew the shock it was so bad but now I am convinced it was just the rear shock "fading" when the fluid got HOT, since after I got on a smoother trail and the shock was allowed to cool down, it didn't bottom on the occasional G-outs anymore. Back to normal and didn't bottom at all the rest of the weekend.
I don't typically ride hard in 3 foot moguls, not my style since I can't afford to replace broken parts all the time and it makes me cringe! But from motocross experience and suspension setup, i want the rear suspension to bottom occasionally then I know it is working / soaking and using the whole travel.

My concern now is I can't seem to keep the EC wire connector fastened tight with the ziptie around the shock reservoir bracket. It keeps loosening up and I know broken wires are imminent.

Can't remember were I set my rebound as it was last year but best this to do is find a quiet stretch of nasty moguls and start increasing the rebound dampening until you are just bottoming on the real big ones. Spring is not the way to prevent bottoming, spring is for rider weight and to set ride height. If you try to compensate for bottoming with heavier spring the sled will donkey kick you at the end of the travel and be rough in the stutters. Bottoming and for that matter the characteristics of the shock are largely controlled by the valving and if it is correct (06 Apex GT stock is not the 08's are) the sled will not perform well in the rough.

The Ohlins head seal is faulty on the 06 shocks and blows out very easily so suggest you get it replaced and revalved if you ride rough trails. This makes a world of difference.

If the seal is gone you will see black oil specs all over the yellow spring (easy to spot). I blew my first shock first ride out and then had complete shock replaced on warranty and blew the second one the next ride out!

I am 200lbs without gear and have the new seal and revalve done at Pioneer and run the stock spring and the sled is great in the stutters at full soft setting and rarely bottoms on the full hard setting, I would consider myself an aggreessive rider!

Also, when you have it set up right, You should bottom out once in a while only. play with it till its right! see ya

I never had the chance to ride my 06 GT with the stock shock, had it revalved as soon as I got it, also had the seal head updated as well.
I agree with the valving controlling bottoming and NOT the spring. I catch more stutter bumps than I do G-out whoops and I'd much rather have a plusher ride than a "donkey kick". Hahaha.

If your spring is too stiff, it will transfer more impact to the chassis and start tweeking things all over, too. You need the shock to move...

Reaper, what is your take on shock / fluid heat fade?

Hard to comment without knowing all the variables but all shocks will fade to some degree if pushed beyond the operating range of design. I have not experienced any shock fade on mine.

Maybe I have something else goin' south with my shock then.

Reaper said:
Or you ride it like a lunatic :Rockon:

Ha, true but that is not the case here. Only on smooth hard packed trails when it hooks up like a top fuel dragster...

For you guys with shock fade , try different oil. I went with the Amsoil blue and the shock is consitant and never fades.The original Ohlines shock oil is horse pee.

Back