• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 gt still bottoming after revalve

yea i think i was at tug hill mbarry racing with you that weekend, and that is what got me all upset about this topic, My shock definatley fades bad, at first it is almost to stif with one bar of dampening and then the more i ride the rough i crank it up to full by the end of the trail. Ok so how does rebound dampenig effect dampening, should i increase or decrease rebound

The gt shock has a one way check valve,so turning up the rebound will only affect rebound and not add to compression dampening. The more rebound dampening= less kickback. These are anodized aluninum body shocks,and tend to fade more with higher oil temps. The anodizing helps with consistently from keeping the oil from alum. contamination. If the piston wears off a spot of anodizing this will also lead to poor shock performance. There's alot better shock oils out there that don't fade as easily.

apexgt4life, sounds like we are feeling the same shock characteristic. I am not sure what oil Bruce uses but easy enough to find out.
berge75, thanks for the tip on the shock oil you have had good luck with.

Rebound doesn't directly affect compression, but indirectly influences the feeling. If the rebound is set too high it slows the shock return down so it doesn't extend all the way back out in time before the next bump and gets packed up (starts compressing again at mid stroke). This is right where the valving is getting stiffer and the shock compresses harder, it feels rock hard.
You need just enough rebound to keep from kicking up on bumps but strokes back out as close to 100% as possible so it is ready to absorb the next hit with plushness.
Oh boy, I'm scaring myself... I almost sound like I know something.

ok ill give it a wirl for my next trip to bump hill, oh by the way what u guys think about me picking up a ski doo mxz 500ss o4 as a tinker toy for preatty cheap, figured i could play around with it seeing as though its just a 2 stroke and preatty easy to work on rather than this jet engine in the apex.

I still have my 96 Vmax XT with a rippin' 135HP 600 twin. Sure is lighter, but it's not the powerhouse that my Apex is.
Atleast I can still tinker and tune with that 2-stroke...

berge75 said:
The gt shock has a one way check valve,so turning up the rebound will only affect rebound and not add to compression dampening. The more rebound dampening= less kickback. These are anodized aluninum body shocks,and tend to fade more with higher oil temps. The anodizing helps with consistently from keeping the oil from alum. contamination. If the piston wears off a spot of anodizing this will also lead to poor shock performance. There's alot better shock oils out there that don't fade as easily.

The rebound adjustment will have some effect on the compression dampening. I had my Ohlins shock rebuilt by Bruce at Pioneer Performance and he included instructions about adjusting your suspension. The instructions clearly state that if you are still bottoming out after setting the shock to full hard, to increase the rebound dampening and you will get some more compression dampening.

yea ill give it a try, thanks guys this site rocks, any aftermarket skids out thier, if not good business for this sled, if we can get this suspension right, nothing will touch these sleds

Roadrunner said:
berge75 said:

The rebound adjustment will have some effect on the compression dampening. I had my Ohlins shock rebuilt by Bruce at Pioneer Performance and he included instructions about adjusting your suspension. The instructions clearly state that if you are still bottoming out after setting the shock to full hard, to increase the rebound dampening and you will get some more compression dampening.

Thats what i read on my instructions that came with my revalved shock also..

Rebound will have an effect compression dampening.

Tug is always Tug. My 06 will bottom on the g outs, but not too bad. Anything smaller, the doo's that come with us go home cryin..lol...my reinforced revalved mono is the best riding sled I've been on in normal non g out type garbage..just need to go fast and not get 'into the holes' stay on the gas and keep it transfered back for the hits...but when you do hit the far side of a biggun, they will bottom as they are a falling rate like the M10. Falling rates are your best riding suspensions, while rising rates take the big hits better, but are more harsh. Keep adjusting the mono, they come around and are hard to beat for comfort...200 mile days in and around the plateau are cake. But then again I grew up riding Tug on another RTX...a 73 RTX 447 Skiroule!

SumpBuster said:
Tug is always Tug. My 06 will bottom on the g outs, but not too bad. Anything smaller, the doo's that come with us go home cryin..lol...my reinforced revalved mono is the best riding sled I've been on in normal non g out type garbage..just need to go fast and not get 'into the holes' stay on the gas and keep it transfered back for the hits...but when you do hit the far side of a biggun, they will bottom as they are a falling rate like the M10. Falling rates are your best riding suspensions, while rising rates take the big hits better, but are more harsh. Keep adjusting the mono, they come around and are hard to beat for comfort...200 mile days in and around the plateau are cake. But then again I grew up riding Tug on another RTX...a 73 RTX 447 Skiroule!

Well said, you really captured it !

I forgot to mention.. the harder you are on the gas the better the sled rides.. Stay in the throttle.. keep the skis up and lean back..

welterracer said:
I forgot to mention.. the harder you are on the gas the better the sled rides.. Stay in the throttle.. keep the skis up and lean back..

Just like motocross... When in doubt, gas it!!!!

welterracer said:
Roadrunner said:
berge75 said:

Thats what i read on my instructions that came with my revalved shock also..
MY BAD. No ckeck ball. I had it apart last nite has the insert screwed in there,but no ball. The size of the hole in the insert is rather small,so the amount of dampening change will be small.

which spring did pioneer install 5.5 or 7.1 ? I have a friend who is 300lbs

he blew 2 ohlins shocks on his 2007 attack gt sent the shock to pioneer had Bruce do special valving spec for his weight 7.1 spring no problems since

I would make sure you have the 7.1 spring If you ride hard you need a stiffer rate spring not more more pre load on a soft spring

It is normal to bottom out in the big holes

Back