• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 nytro help

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Nytro ER
First post but I’ve been following the forum for a long while. I’ve tried searching and not having any luck here with a solution. I’ve got an 06 nytro er that I picked up with a bad stator. Noticed when I test rode it the tach wasn’t working and had er-1 on the display. Thought it may have been due to the stator. Anyway, changed it and now the sled runs and charges perfectly but still have no tach and the error. Checked all grounds (all clean and good continuity), swapped the ecu, traced wires and everything looks good. The 3 relays in the right footwell area are starting to green up a bit (that’s on my hit list this week) but everything seems to check out. When I start it up, the tach does its test sweep so that tells me the dash is working. Other than that and the code, sled runs like a top. Any suggestions on what to look at next? Everything I’ve found is for 08 and newer so far.

Thanks

have you looked at the connector down by the hood hindge and where the harness comes through the frame under the storage box in the nose? could have a broken wire there as it was a problem area on the rs and rx sleds of that era.

have you looked at the connector down by the hood hindge and where the harness comes through the frame under the storage box in the nose? could have a broken wire there as it was a problem area on the rs and rx sleds of that era.
Yes, did a wiggle test on them all with a continuity tester hooked up. No problems there. It’s a weird one. Thinking about getting a new wiring harness just to try. I know it’s not a huge deal not having a tach but it’s not right and really annoying me.....

So swapped in a known good ecu, no change, then a gauge cluster, no change, swapped in a new wiring harness and still having the same issue. Sled runs fine except error 1 and no tach. There’s a new stator in it and the fact that it runs SHOULD eliminate the pick up coil as faulty. It’s driving me nuts!

On a Phazer, had that error with a bad ground wire from the battery (loose spade connector). Are all the grounds good?

Yes, grounds were one of the first things I checked. They all seemed good and solid

"Seemed" and "is" are not the same. Did you check using a multimeter or, at the very least, a test light? Same for fuses.

Not doubting you, just touching all the bases.

No, absolutely. I should have clarified that. I did a continuity test from the battery and used an incandescent test light to apply a small load and they all lit up. It’s strange because the sled runs perfect. I tested the voltage at the cluster on the blue/yellow wire and getting 12V. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be a pulse voltage or not since I only have a digital meter and they take an average. It’s a head scratcher

er-1 is a communication problem between the gauge and the ECU. Maybe check the wires between them. When the Phazer got that error, the ECU was dead because of the bad ground but yours is working. They're not talking to each other.

That’s what I got from searching on here. That blue/yellow wire SHOULD be the comm wire between the two and it tests ok on continuity. Even swapped out the harness as a last resort. I’m down to thinking it could be the pickup coil in with the stator but reading 288 ohms across it and not shorted to ground anywhere

That means no communication. (er-1)
I would check this wire for continuity.
Y/B from the ecu to meter.
No, absolutely. I should have clarified that. I did a continuity test from the battery and used an incandescent test light to apply a small load and they all lit up. It’s strange because the sled runs perfect. I tested the voltage at the cluster on the blue/yellow wire and getting 12V. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be a pulse voltage or not since I only have a digital meter and they take an average. It’s a head scratcher
blue yellow is one of the wires from speed sensor.

Blue/red is the power wire and is fused by the 'signal' fuse.

Whoa, timeout. Just re-read your first post again. If this is on a Nytro, how you say
When I start it up, the tach does its test sweep so that tells me the dash is working.

The stock pod on a Nytro doesn't "sweep". Did you swap in another gauge?

That means no communication. (er-1)
I would check this wire for continuity.
Y/B from the ecu to meter.

blue yellow is one of the wires from speed sensor.
Just checked and .2 ohms from the cdi/ecu up to cluster

Whoa, timeout. Just re-read your first post again. If this is on a Nytro, how you say

The stock pod on a Nytro doesn't "sweep". Did you swap in another gauge?
Really? I bought it with a blown stator in the fall and it’s done a sweep when it first starts every time? It’s the original back in it now but I did try another and it did the same

Back