• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Phazer must doo's

SKIP

Extreme
I have been reading allot of posts here and wondering what are the "must do's" to an 07 Phazer. I just bought 2 of them, and it looks like one has seen some updates (has fan) but the other has not seen any since new.

I am going to use the knowledge found here and close off the tunnels myself, without ordering the factory kit.

The tank on the 07 shows a different part # than the newer models and they have gas tank side covers. Anyone know if they will fit on an 07?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.....
PS: I have not had much luck with the search feature....

07's have a larger capacity gas tank. They made them thicker in later years to help with escaping gas vapor or something. I dont' think the tank side covers fit with the old tanks, but i'm not 100% sure. I think there is a molded-in nut missing from the 07 tanks that prevents you from mounting them properly.

Here are a few post to get you started.

Up Bushman Pivot arm upgrade
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=76976

Up Bushman Spindle bushing upgrade
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=84758

Also, since you're in Canada check Sled Toyz for a FX chassis ball joint upgrade.

Link/rear suspension,exhaust clamps/manifold and Starterbolts are the ones that will ruin your day if not addressed.Rest you can fix as you go along.

The tank covers will fit, but as Jeffz stated, there isn't a place to fasten them completely. I bought them for my sled and haven't got a chance to figure out a way to bolt them up.

cannondale27 said:
Link/rear suspension,exhaust clamps/manifold and Starterbolts are the ones that will ruin your day if not addressed.Rest you can fix as you go along.

what do you mean starterbolts

kyleb400 said:
cannondale27 said:

what do you mean starterbolts

The two long bolts the hold the entire starter assembly were not Loc-Tited from the factory. The starter needs to be removed, checked for alignment, and bolted back together with Loc-Tite.

RayKnobs said:
or you could go by the theory that it hasn't come loose in 3 years of riding, why would it come loose now?

Mine was fine up until I hit 2000mi/ 3years. Some may have put more or less miles on, but now I KNOW that it won't come loose and leave me stranded.

As far as just pulling them out one at a time, I don't think you would be able to get at them both unless the starter is sitting just right. One bolt might be inaccessible unless the starter is out of the sled.

RayKnobs said:
Jeffz said:
One bolt might be inaccessible unless the starter is out of the sled.

If you can't take a starter bolt out until you remove the starter how do you get the starter off to remove the starter bolt?

You just F#$%&* yell at it a bunch of times? LOL :o| :moon:

There are two bolts that hold the start to the block... and there are also other long bolts that hold the two halves of the starter together. It is these long bolts that hold the starter together that you have to be concerned about.

My start was still working and the sled had 4000 miles on it. However, I decided to pull the starter when I had the front frame off while installing new bushings. One bolt had completely backed out and the other was loose. It was only a matter of time before mine would have crapped out!

Now here is a WORD OF WARNING! These bolts are extremely brittle! Especially, if they are loose because every time you hit the starter the two halves twist and stress the bolts. The one bolt that was loose on my starter snapped just trying to remove it the rest of the way to loctite it! And I was only using a 1/4 drive ratchet. Luckily, I had called the dealer and they said to go ahead and fix it myself so they got me a new starter under warranty!

I've attached a link from a previous post regarding my starter issues. There is a picture so you can see the bolts I am talking about! The picture isn't great but it will give you a better idea.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ht=starter

RayKnobs said:
Jeffz said:
One bolt might be inaccessible unless the starter is out of the sled.

If you can't take a starter bolt out until you remove the starter how do you get the starter off to remove the starter bolt?

RedPhazer said:
There are two bolts that hold the starter to the block... and there are also other long bolts that hold the two halves of the starter together. It is these long bolts that hold the starter together that you have to be concerned about.

^This.

Back