• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 XTX track suggestions

1500 miles this season on my cobra, and I've torn two lugs. I was kinda bumped when I saw that, but it did out perform the ripsaw in every way, aside from losing a couple mph on top.

ChagG has one on his sled and loves it. He's the only one I know of.

nate007 said:
ChagG has one on his sled and loves it. He's the only one I know of.

I know people that have them on an Apex, an RX-1, and an XP Renegade. Rave reviews all around.

I just wish you could get them in a 1.75.

MrSled said:
How about an Ice Ripper and maybe do away with the studs? Anyone have thoughts on those?

Ice ripper is a Better track for just general trail riding and no studs... Better then the ripsaw. But, for drag racing not so much against a studded track. My 2 ply Cobra worked great, but lost 4-5 on top end on my 06 Apex against the ripsaw witgh same studs. 2 ply Cobra had 144 1.450 studs. No issues with pull throughs or ripped studs. Lots of drag racing too....

If I had to choose between a Cobra and a Predator I would choose to go with a Predator track. Just seems to be a better overall choice if running hardpack and looser snow conditions. I felt the Cobra did give up some acceleration over the Ripsaw in hardpack.

BADSLED said:
If I had to choose between a Cobra and a Predator I would choose to go with a Predator track. Just seems to be a better overall choice if running hardpack and looser snow conditions. I felt the Cobra did give up some acceleration over the Ripsaw in hardpack.

I didn't know you could still get the Predator. I had a Predator on my SKS, and loved it. When I stretched my Dragon I tried to get one, and couldn't. Can't remember what my choices were exactly, but I ended up with another crappy Ripsaw.

Hi Tom, I've got 1.75 backcountry on both my Nytro XTX and Apex XTX and have been really happy with that track on both machines. It's night and day better off trail and still seems to be fine on trail. I am running ice scratchers on both sleds to help the slides, when riding trails.

Agman 57 said:
Hi Tom, I've got 1.75 backcountry on both my Nytro XTX and Apex XTX and have been really happy with that track on both machines. It's night and day better off trail and still seems to be fine on trail. I am running ice scratchers on both sleds to help the slides, when riding trails.

Goin out on a limb but I don't think the 1.75 is what he is looking for, he would have put the BC on long ago i'm sure if he wanted off-trail traction. Thanks again Tom for the great track deal!

Tom i have a cobra track on my apex.. 3500 miles and still going strong..

I am missing some lugs, but that was my fault.. I was riding really hard in deap snow and spinning alot and the lugs were hitting frozen dirt and ripping them off.

THe track is 100% better than a ripsaw in performance

Yamaha XTX track

I'm running the Backcountry 1.75" (Yamaha part #sma-track-90-74) This track is great off trail and fantastic in a straight line on trail, but tends towards understeer on trail. I was thinking of trying Yamaha's 14" wide 1.5" 144 track to help th sled rotate through turns better and still have better than stock off trail performance ( yamaha part #sma-track-90-44 ) Has anyone used this track and do they know if it will fit the stock rail width and bogey spacing?

mj

mjaremko said:
Answerd my own Q.

14" wide track is for phazor, probably will not fit Nytro.

mj

They might fit, I've heard of people running 14" tracks on other sleds to try and gain some top end speed.

If you cut 1/2" off each side of a normal 15" wide track it would still run on the bogie wheels, barely...just like the phazor track.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they fit.

I know a few people that had ice rippers on and they where un happy with the traction on ice and ended up studding them.

A 14" wide will fit on a nytro.

Tom I put a 128 iceripper on the Apex and it is and OK aide to slippery trail situations, but does not accelerate or brake anything like the studded track I took off after 10,000 trail miles with 144 - had lost a couple lugs and studs.

So if you ever want to launch on ice or brake HARD on ice it will not compare with studded. But if you want to cruise with better traction than stock and better balance and less weight than studded it is good.

Yamadoo

Back