• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1000cc Yamaha ATV in the works?

If that design is true I don't like it. The engine is way back, reminds me of the old Suzuki's with the engine way back and didn't turn worth a crap.
I like the paralell twin, but it needs to be mounted like the Polaris is.
I fear Yamaha and other Japanese brands are losing their mojo if you know what I mean.

I couldn't find that patent so its hard to say whether its good, bad, or just 'other'.

Big companies file patents all the time. The patent (any patent) is just an agreement to share a trade secret in the public domain for the right to protection from someone else copying your secret. IOW by using the patent system, you can tell everyone secret sauce which then has the protection of the laws of the country you filed in.

Patents are primarily defensive in nature. You 'teach' everyone about an invention so you have exclusive access to that invention but you are not necessarily going to exploit that invention.

Patents are mostly derivative works. That is why patents have citations, you show that you understand all of the relevant inventions that came before yours and how yours is slightly different.

Patents are teaching documents. You do not have to be accurate in your drawings. The drawings do not have to show the actual invention but they have to be clear enough and referenced correctly such that the claims which reference the drawings and the text of the claims make sense.

Patents are intentionally vague. When you are writing a patent, you would not claim something like 'this is our new 1000cc design' you would in fact state as little as possible. Patents are written to only be specific enough to get your point across so that the reader who is 'skilled in the art' could understand it. When you write a patent you typically start out very high level and vague and only add as much detail as the examiner demands or that you need in order to claim protection.

Its the claims that matter. The description of a patent (problem and solution brief at the front) are the boundaries of your patent (field of research and specific problem within that field), and the claims are the specific invention.

Some examples of how you can use patents.

1. You share your new design because you have a real invention.. unlikely but it happens
2. You share a design for something you are considering but have not committed to building (a placeholder)
3. You share a design for something that is derivative of another company or persons invention to block them from further progress.
4. You share a design for something you are actually going to build.

The drawings could be illustrative of a design using a reverse engine layout and how they solved different problems like how the airflow is routed, the fact that it changes the balance of the bike, etc, etc.. without the claims though, you have no idea what the patent actually means. The fact that they create a drawing with the engine that far back is just their way of emphasizing a point, which could simply be to mount the engine backwards you have to solve some other problems.

Completely off topic but evaluating the grizzly and the latest outlanders I noticed that the spelling in the can am forums and social communities is atrocious. I mean - really bad. Just an observation...

Back on topic. The current grizzly just doesn't stand up to the competition when it comes to anything but reliability. Everyone I spoke with who owned a grizzly said they wouldn't own anything else. Half the people I spoke with that owned an outlander used to own a grizzly and wouldn't go back. The main reason was power and handling and other than some small complaints about power steering on the doos up until the 23/24 model year everyone seems happy. The other half of the outlander owners seem to only care about mud bogging and only want to talk about lift kits and 40" tires..

Yes, the grizzly needs an upgrade.

The King Quad 750 is a very nice bike but won't hold a candle to the 850's or 1000's.

Back