• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

137 Rmotion a success in an apex

Brandon Doering

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2002 Yamaha SRX 700
2008 Yamaha Apex GT
42557109-30FD-4EA9-9E6E-392B706AE1D0.jpeg
00BECC07-9C4F-4003-902B-FA6521C4830F.jpeg
4A7FBF28-E05B-415E-9065-DA9790CF6024.jpeg
6C6810E4-E544-4EF5-9EC6-2EF9B63B4A47.jpeg
E995C42B-C669-457F-8934-685D65D9C1FC.jpeg
3BBBB831-9F7D-48B1-8310-CF9C3CD35A0E.jpeg
C5784A6A-C77A-48C4-A35E-578BED8E3765.jpeg
AD92C578-E749-4E92-9C8D-DAD3240A46FB.jpeg
72E66776-9D95-409D-AC9B-6E91EFE782C6.jpeg
690A84CA-C980-41C8-B881-88467F552AB2.jpeg
6B692782-C706-4C8D-9554-AB85AD2E4149.jpeg
Alright all, I spent 2 full days installing a 137 skidoo Rmotion in a 07 Apex GT. After all said and done I am blown away at how it feels and performs. It hooks like a mother and feels like you’re riding on a cloud. Here is a rundown of all the research I did including measurements. I got my suspension from Mickeys in Midland Michigan out of a 2017 MXZX. I was able to take measurements from the donor sled and also backed those measurements up by talking with skidoo. I ordered Wahl 2.86 8 tooth antiratchet drivers since I was changing the track length and also a tunnel extension from Tracks USA. While I had it apart I went ahead and changed the bearings also. So before I dive into the project I also had Chris Schmidt from Schmidt Brothers Motorsports install his stage 2 clutch kit for this setup and holy sweet sunshine what a difference it was compared to the Ulmer setup I had in there.
So here we go, measurements from center of driveshaft back to first mounting hole is 8.25”.
Measurement from center of driveshaft back to second mounting hole is 36”. What I ended up doing is dividing the diameter of the apex driveshaft which is l 1/16” and subtracting that from the two measurements so I could measure from the front of the shaft back. I moved the front bracket forward but kept the same height as the drivers on skidoo and Yamaha are basically the same height. The rear I kept the same distance down as stock (Which is 5 1/4” from bottom of tunnel protectors) to keep the ride height the same. I had to make new rear brackets with a 1/8” offset on each because the Rmotion is 1/4” wider than the tunnel in the rear. The front is the same width as stock. I used 1/8” stainless steel for the new brackets. The blind rivets I used I got from McMaster-Caar and cost me about 25$ for 200 rivets compared to Yamahas 2$ a piece. I got a pneumatic rivet gun from harbor freight and it worked awesome. All said and done there is plenty of room between the drivers and the front rails no clearance issues at all. Taking it out for a ride put a smile on my face right away. It just floated but lifted the skis hard every time I hit the throttle. My cousin and uncle were shocked at how it responded and felt. Bumps weren’t even noticeable compared to that aweful mono that was in it. I’ll answer any questions anyone has. Take a look at the pics and I would 100% do this again in a

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks like quite the project, turned out really nice tho. Just goes to show how much better the Apex could have been without that mono shock suspension.

That's AWESOME! Keeps us posted on the long term results.
You may have just given me the incentive I need to go R-motion also.
Though I plan on going 128-129 inches instead.

Looks like quite the project, turned out really nice tho. Just goes to show how much better the Apex could have been without that mono shock suspension.
Definitely, the mono is trash. I was pretty frustrated with how much money you can stick into a mono and it’s still trash.

Definitely, the mono is trash. I was pretty frustrated with how much money you can stick into a mono and it’s still trash.
Ya I agree. I even tried the Hygear setup on mine and was still way less than impressed. Ended up going back to an Ohlins 6.1 spring on mine with the Hygear valving. Its about the best (for me) that it's gonna get.
So just eyeballing the pics, it looks like the front skid mount is moved forward from stock and the rear is moved reward from stock, with new mounting brackets?
Also, on your measurements, did you go "straight" from one to the other, or was the measurement taken parallel to the ground?

Ya I agree. I even tried the Hygear setup on mine and was still way less than impressed. Ended up going back to an Ohlins 6.1 spring on mine with the Hygear valving. Its about the best (for me) that it's gonna get.
So just eyeballing the pics, it looks like the front skid mount is moved forward from stock and the rear is moved reward from stock, with new mounting brackets?
Also, on your measurements, did you go "straight" from one to the other, or was the measurement taken parallel to the ground?
Yes I moved the stock mount forward based on the skidoo measurements from the center of drive shaft back to first and second mounting holes. The rear bracket I fabbed And had to put an 1/8” offset on each side but I kept it the same distance down from the tunnel protectors as the stock mount. It kept the same ride height as stock.

Brandon, you piss me off!

Now i have to go buy an Apex & rip it apart!

I've actually been thinking of getting a used Ape & doing a complete tear down & re-assemble with new & upgraded stuff.
This project may be the first one i do.
Let us know as the year progresses.

P.S: Nice Job!
P.S2: Thanks for the neck ache

Do you know what year the R-motion is or what model it came off?
Does it feel sprung right?
Meaning, as of now, is there any shock or spring changes you would make?

Back