• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'16 Turbo recall - Interesting tidbits

it says only the sleds that left the dealer with the mpi kits will be coverd, im
not pleased with that as i couldnt afford to buy my sled and have it turboed at the same time,y dealer told me the 2016 had the same engine as the 2015 and i could turbo it at any time, as far as i am concerned i was sold a sled with false advertising and i want them to cover my sled in the recall or buy it back and i will buy a sidewinder

it says only the sleds that left the dealer with the mpi kits will be coverd, im
not pleased with that as i couldnt afford to buy my sled and have it turboed at the same time,y dealer told me the 2016 had the same engine as the 2015 and i could turbo it at any time, as far as i am concerned i was sold a sled with false advertising and i want them to cover my sled in the recall or buy it back and i will buy a sidewinder
That would leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth too.

I'm really hoping that in time everyone gets fixed. This is not a good look for Yamaha if not. In my mind, the guys doing turbos are likely the guys who will buy a new sled and spend a ton on accessories and parts. Not a good portion of your fan base to tick off.

I went back and fortb with the dealer about adding a turbo on my 16 spring purchase and when I put the money down i told the dealer I would have the turbo added after 1 year. A few weeks after i picked up my 16 i seen the rod issues i went to my dealer and sat with them and was assured there was no issues and if there was Yamaha would fix them for everyone.

I watched the Powermodz youtube video yesterday and the yamaha rep was describing the sidewinders motor and how it has the legendary yamaha durability anf I really felt like I got screwed over. I have told my dealer a few times that if i knew my 16 had a new motor I would have let them keep the $500 deposit and bought a leftover with a proven engine. I guess all we can do is to call yamaha and let them know how we feel.

This is almost exactly the same scenario I went through last year at my dealer, once the recall finally comes out and they can identify (hopefully) which sleds are affected and if my sled is one of those with the "bad" rods but Yamaha still doesn't plan on fixing it because I didn't buy a turbo kit last year, I guess I'll call customer service and voice my complaint, if that doesn't work maybe I'll seek legal advise. It's just not right IMO!

recall notice.jpg

Well its official here in Canada. Got this in the mail today.

Attachments

• recall notice for Rods.pdf
    342.1 KB · Views: 663
View attachment 123298

Got mine in the mail too. Have an LTX DX with build date of Oct 2015. Not turboed so not covered by the "modification campaign". My dealer says not to worry. It's only the extra stress of the turbo that can cause the problem. NA engines are fine. If anything should happen the engine will be covered under warranty. Not sure what to think st this point.

Got mine in the mail too. Have an LTX DX with build date of Oct 2015. Not turboed so not covered by the "modification campaign". My dealer says not to worry. It's only the extra stress of the turbo that can cause the problem. NA engines are fine. If anything should happen the engine will be covered under warranty. Not sure what to think st this point.
A smart dealer would not say that other than to say thats what Yamaha claims. So far. A bad rod is a bad rod.

my dealer told me Yamaha is only give them 10 hours to do the repair he is going to refuse to do it because it is not enough time an i believe him. I use to work as yamaha tech an i do not think i could do it in time. It is plain BS on yamaha part fell sorry for big dealer who has a couple to do they are going to loose money on that repair.

my dealer told me Yamaha is only give them 10 hours to do the repair he is going to refuse to do it because it is not enough time an i believe him. I use to work as yamaha tech an i do not think i could do it in time. It is plain BS on yamaha part fell sorry for big dealer who has a couple to do they are going to loose money on that repair.
Thats a rumor. I havent seen it in writing but its 20hrs to do what many have estimated to be almost a 35hr job. I am sure dealers with many will have a major headache on thier hands. Yamaha should be replacing motors with remanufactured motors not rods especially now.

I like the idea and having one place rebuild all of them. I had a hard enough time getting my sled assembled by my dealer. I'm not sure how many dealers would be able to handle it.

I guess this is why you dont see manufacturers offering turbo kits as options. It really sold me as I figured once I got bored of the stock power i could always turbo it and have the 4 stroke reliability

he told me that when they where at tech school RTA told that they would only get 10hours for repair. he told his service dept to turn them down an to call Yamaha he not doing them, an loosing money. you are looking at a good 30 hours to do this job I did an RX1 in 2003 that when it was caused by slag from casting part an had to replace rods & rings cyls and i had 32 hrs into.

View attachment 123298

Interesting in that this letter does not recognize a group of problem rods but says that the design of rods in the 2016 "new" motors was not sufficient to handle the additional stresses of the turbo. So the 2016 design specs were lowered from the 2014-2015 specs. And based on their advertising the engineering group did not tell the group offering the turbo kits, or the customers.

I dont think that is what the case is at all. I think that they have a batch of poor or non heat treated rods that made it into production. They have decided that the rods are more than satisfactory for a normally asperated motor. They may even be okay in the turbo but they have had issues there so they are doing somthing about those motors. They are essentially blaming it on the MPI turbo over boosting the motor which should never happen due to the EABC. It seems like they found the perfect way to phrase it so they look like they are taking care of the customer while shifting blame to the turbo aspect.

To my knowledge there has not been a failure in this motor for any N/A ones. Its just the turbo's ones. And this needs to be stressed again: not all the 2016 motors have bad rods. Not even all the late 2016 motors have bad rods it has been discovered. Just some of them and I guess the problem for Yamaha is figuring out who got them. They have decided to just replace all the turbo rods just in case. We will never know but it would be interesting to know how many actually have the unheat treated rods.

Back