• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1st 1,400 on '05 RX1ER

Stearn

VIP Member
1st 1,400 ride on the '05 RX1 ER.
I highly recommend that everyone turn off the computer, take a month and go riding. Does wonders for the mind.

Previous ride was '97SX700 Max long travel. Ohlins. 120hp.
New RX has Ohlin fronts with triple point carbide on the stock ski.

The new RX is one outstanding piece of machinery.

The best comment on my trip came from a SnowXer who I chased from St. Germain to Sayner Wis. 15 miles. His buddy went wide within a mile, took him on the inside. Got the double take look at the next stop sign like "what are you doing behind me". When we got to the next pit stop his comment was "so I guess it's not true what they say (non Yamaha owners) about those Yamahas. He did not think that they could even come close to staying up to him on the tight twisters let-alone staying on his butt. His mind has been changed.

This sled can fly through the woods just as well as the SX but you have to be able to handle it. It is heaver. This is not a sled for a 97lb weakling. If you can handle it, it will fly.

Having been on the SX for so long I thought at first the RX had way too much transfer but I found that riding early season UP/Wis condition the transfer was a great asset. Within two feet I was able to pull the front up and clear some nasty hole/ditches. This would never of been possible on the SX. I think I shall keep it this way.

The ski lift was not an issue. Though I found that during ski lift in the corner, as power was reapplied in the corner the Ohlin shock spring, set at 5 out of 10, would give in as in the front would start to dive. I increased preload from 5 to 7 and this tendency went away.
No complaint on the ski for on-trail conditions. The triple point carbide worked as advertised.

The rear skid performed as I had hoped. Actually this is the reason I made the jump to the RX. I'm a 200lb-geared rider. The stock (middle) setting was good until after 300 miles. This is about when the suspension started setting in and I became more aggressive. Bottoming became more frequent and I was unable to adjust it out with the RA. I increased spring preload 2 clicks, which was a great improvement. RA usability returned and bottoming diminished. When bottoming the skid feels solid. On the 'old SX you could just feel that W arm cracking.

MPG 15 - 18
0 oil use
Hyfax still serviceable
Top speed 110 indicated, groomed trail 2" of power.

Cool factor is off the scale.
So many comments and inquiries.
"Is that one of those new 4 stokers?"
People standing around it outside the pit stops pointing.
You hear yourself in stereo when idling through town.

What else can I say? This is the future of snowmobiling.

PK

Attachments

• UPDec1204.jpg
    UPDec1204.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 118

Great post ;)! although i think this sled can be setup for any size of rider I only weigh 140 and just love this sled as i did my 03 :D remember it's not how big it is it's how ya use it LOL

Glad to see your likin your new toy :Rockon:

Great report, and good comment about getting away from the computer and doing some riding! After 250 miles on my 05, I know that no one is going to be leaving me anywhere unless maybe I'm on a sno-x track. Everywhere else, I'm gonna be enjoying the coolest sounding, broadest pulling swiss watch sled on the market, and hanging with the big dogs on the lake too.

My 1st yamie was in 86 and have had 9 more newbies since that year. MY 05 Rx1 is #10 and it is a 10.

I know. Someone help me out. Why is snowmobiling good for the body and the mind?

Let me answer my own question.
I sled on my own quite often. Why??? Because I can't get anyone to take 3 weeks off from work.
When I go on my own it's a great time every time.
I make new friends every mile every day.
Has anyone ever asked to tag along with you and you said no? I don't think so.
I love you guys.
PK

Back