• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2 part. trail tank install...... no power.

phatkid

Pro
Hello guys got the sled running tonight after changing the plugs and a little seafoam in the tank.

Now I cannot get the tank back into place at all no matter how hard I beat on this tank .... had to unbolt rear suspension to fix tank studs. Got tank bolted down but I'm still off a half inch or so of making the seat fit and all lining up as it was before.

Now to top it all off I went to make sure the sled would restart and now I have no power to anything. Checked battery terminals there ok.

Im starting to dislike this sled a whole lot. Nothing is simple when it comes to this thing.

Any help again would be well appreciated. I'm about ready to just drop it off to someone to finish all the tedious pre-season stuff :die :o|

Thanks
Jammie

I know at the end of last year when I replaced my exhaust donuts I had one heck of a time getting the trail tank back in.

I used a couple of ratchet straps across the footholds to help move it into position, but still didn't get it as close as I liked.

I finally drained most of the fuel out of the tank and left the cap off for a while to see if it would help to not have uncompressible liquid to fight against.

That got me the last 1/4".

Allen Ulmer told me a neet little trick, pinch off the breather line and use a shop vac on the filler to pull in the sides of the tank, also losen the bolts that hold frame that goes up around the top of the gas tank.

Well as ok still out here at midnight. I pulled the tank back off. Started messing with connectors and got power back to the sled atleast. I'll try the empty tank as I have 5 gallons of gas in it right now.

If this dont work ill be trading someone a trail tank complete for a bolt in stock tank.

I'm not screwing with all of this over a couple gallons of gas. I'll fill up every 75 miles not to have to deal with all this headache. Lol

I actually loosen up the back two as well on the steering gate. As I recall it was a bit of a bear but I was able to get a socket with extension through the right hand side and had to use an open end wrench to get the left side.

There was a lot of swearing involved with the reinstallation for sure, but I was too close a number of times with the OEM tank in the UP.

I went through the same issue with my trial tank after removing it for header replacement and decided to go back to stock. The way I see it, I purchased a Yamaha for it's reliability, performance, fit and finish. If I have to beat on aftermarket part to fit it on because of it's poor quality and lack of R&D it does not belong on my sled!

Bad sled. I'm starting to agree with you I didn't buy a 10 k sled to have to use 4 x 4 s and rubber mallets. I do truly love this sled however I'm starting to question myself. Just frustration I guess.

I used rachet straps tied to the cross frame and dawn soap at all the tank contact areas. It is a PITA the second time around.

Next time I am thinking of drilling a hole in the center of the tunnel near the tank end and use it as a pry point to push the tank forward. Then plug the hole with the rubber plugs like the ones used for the exhaust bolt brace holes.

Last year we rode a few times over 130 miles between gas stops. Most of the guys I ride with have 1200 and SDI Doo's. They have good gas range.

I would empty all gas and place outside if it is cold or if you have a under standing wife put it in the deep freezer, it should shrink a little.

Back