• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 NH TY ride

I have some friends who called last night just before I left for work, and they said they might be heading to Pittsburg to find the snow. I will probably hear from them today about how the trails are. We got a dusting last night, but we are still only at about 6" here in Colebrook. But last night at work I was in snow so deep the 'Doo Skandic could barely make it through, and in fact I burried it once. Nothing like making snow to cheer up a sledder.

I wish I could go Saturday, but I'm scheduled to work every night from now until Monday morning, all 12 hour shifts from 6pm to 6am, so I'll be in bed while you are riding. Man I wish I could go though...

I was told tonight that I can use my own sled at work though, so I'll probably start playing on the mountain with the RX. Nothing like doing hillclimbs on a ski slope and get paid for it!!!

Jim

Jim, who needs sleep when there is riding to be had. FYI, my parts should be here tonite and I should be ready to roll for Saturday. I will keep you posted.

I think Young's Store is accessable from the open trails, but I don't know for sure. I have tonight off, which I'm using to rest, but tomorrow when my wife is working I may take a ride up and see with my own eyes. We may have some more snow coming in a few days; if so, many more trails should open up.

As of right now there is no grooming in Pittsburg. And something to warn you about: Anyone who comes up may see trails that have been rolled to pack them, and there may even be some sled tracks on them, but except for north of Back Lake, trails are CLOSED. Anyone caught on trails which are closed will be fined by the state. It may be confusing since some of the trails will seem to be open since they have been rolled and may have some tracks on them. At the last Colebrook club meeting there were a couple Fish & Game officers on hand, and they said anyone caught riding on closed trails WILL be fined. Just passing the info...

Jim

Trails are only opwn when the state officially says they are open. They can't open them if they have less than 6", but even with more than 6", they aren't open until the state says they are. I have 6" in my yard right now, but down the hill in town there is slightly less, and some areas have much less. On the other hand, Errol has quite a bit more, but for some reason their trails aren't open yet as far as I know.

Even last year, when our area got over 3 feet of snow in early December, people were upset because the state didn't open the trails until Dec. 15th.

Jim

Well I have an official snow report from Pittsburg. I just barely got back from there (driving) and got some good info.

I couldn't get any definate answers to which trails are officially open, but I talked to several people who have been all over the northern area. You can easily get to Young's Store for fuel, so the gas issue won't be a problem. From Young's Store south along the west side of the state (toward Colebrook) there is very little snow. I have around 6" on my hill, but all along Rt. 3 between Colebrook and the south end of Lake Francis, there is only 2-3" of snow.

The riders I talked to said the conditions were decent to good early season riding, with the usual washouts to watch for, from Young's Store north and east. They went as far down as Coleman St. Park, but the trails started to get boney down there, but got much better east toward Errol. From Errol north the trails were pretty good for early season riding. They saw 3 groomers throughout their ride, so there is some grooming going on.

Keep in mind though that as I write this the "flatlanders" are heading north with trailers looking for the snow, so the trails will get beat over the weekend.

My opinion? If you have nothing better to do, head on up for a day ride Saturday. But I wouldn't go out of my way to hunt down the snow until we get a little more and the trails get prepped a little better. But there is hope, and we are getting into the season!

Jim

Attachments

• pittsburg1.jpg
    pittsburg1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 203
  • pittsburg2.jpg
    pittsburg2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 200
Rode Bear notch road firday. Good frozen cover! Good destination for a day trip and do a little testing/ setup. This new mono skid ROCKS. You see the bumps and laugh as you squeeze the throttle.

Looks like the TY NH ride is a no go as of now.. There is no snow pretty much any where. With an inch to inch and half of rain coming Pitts is going to get eaten up fast. Now they are talking another rain storm for next week too.. So looks like a no go...

Yea, thats pretty much what I was thinking. I went out yesterday from my yard in Colebrook, and although there was snow on the trail to ride on to get to better trails, there sure wasn't enough to handle any warm weather, or worse yet, rain. I was hoping it was going to be cooler than forecasted since a couple nights ago it was down to about -30 here. I found it hard to believe we could go from -30 to what we are at now so quickly!

Maybe we can work on another date later in the season, maybe in Feb. but we'll have to start over figuring out what rides everyone is going to be on so we can come up with a date that works.

Jim

I don't know what the trails are like up in Colebrook, but I went to Quebec City for the weekend, and there is not enough snow to sled all the way up I-93. In fact, as far north and east as Sherbrooke, Thetford Mines and evenb St Marie, there was some snow on the ground, but the railway lines were showing in all the railbed tracks.

Saw tons of 4-wheelers out on the QC trails, but not one snowmobile.

However, it was starting to snow in northern VT and NH and southern QC when I drove down this afternoon.

Around Littleton it was totally brown., we need lots of snow.

Trails? What trails? I have green grass in my yard. I would say about equal grass and snow showing. Pittsburg is supposed to have a few trails still open, but according to their site, they are icy and have washed out spots. We really need some snow before anyone does any real riding. There might be spots to go out and test ride a sled for a few miles, but I don't there are enough trails with snow to really get between two points. I'll update when things change.

Jim

Back