• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex wont start...need help diagnosing

matpoh

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT
Pulled my sled out today to work on clutches and decided to start it up. Battery was at 12.0 volts and nothing worked when I turned the key. I hooked up a battery charger and when I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump engage and the gauges light up. When I try to start it the sled tunes over but will not fire. I replaced the spark plugs thinking the might be fouled. I'm sure they were the original plugs. They looked rough but not fouled really. New plugs regardless. Still turns over but will not fire.

In my testing, I have noticed the gauge pod will turn off and on 2-3 times in the five seconds while I am trying to start it. Like completely off and then right back on again.

I read that battery and plugs will solve a lot of starting issues with these. I was thinking with new plugs and a 200 amp charger, I have addressed both issues.

Only error code I get is 22 for intake air sensor on airbox. Don't think that would prevent it from starting.
Checked all fuses and all connectors appear to be ok. It ran fine when putting it away in early March.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Well I must like to do things the hard way. When I had everything apart to swap the plugs, I failed to test for spark and put everything back together. I pulled it apart again today and tested one plug only (pto side) and zero spark. I'm assuming the rest are similar but didn't test each.

I'm off to more searching but at least now know which direction to take.

If anyone has suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.

I don't want to sound insulting but. When you checked for spark as you cranked the engine over did you make sure the plug ground strap was grounded against the engine? That's pretty important.

First thing to come to mind is the pickup coil if no spark but usually throws a code. They do more often than not seem to fail after sled has been sitting for a bit. Almost like it knows you are done riding! Seen it at least half dozen times.

it could also be in the ignition switch. could try jumping the solenoid to start the sled with the key in the run position.

I'd go back to the battery. Even though.It reads 12 volts these sleds get funky when the battery is not happy. I Ihad the same problem with my 06 at the start of last season. Two different chargers were telling me it was full.

But surely I can rule out the battery if it is connected to a battery charger.....right?

plug in the air box sensor to remove code and re try after long charge on the charger. if screen is cutting in out check connections for corrosion near solenoid and ground blocks.

But surely I can rule out the battery if it is connected to a battery charger.....right?
No that is not the case. Had a charger on my phazer battery that was going dead and it still wouldn't turnover.
Here's the thing. If the starter, with or without the charger attached will easily turn the motor over, it should be getting spark.
If the motor doesn't turn over easily it could be hit or miss.

SOLVED...Just to update, I was following back some wires and started to notice some evidence of a mouse. One frayed wire later with a butt connector and some heat shrink tubing, up and running again. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Back