• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Attak drive shaft question and and help

rbig18

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper ltx se
Well, that time of year for me to start the yearly maintenance. I am at 9500 miles on the Attak and believe it is time to do the drive shaft before it snaps like so many have said at this mileage. I hear there was an upgraded shaft a little thicker supplied by Yamaha. Will I need to replace the sprockets as well or will mine fit? How do I know which shaft to order since the part number does not state which it is.

Second question- Should I be concerned about the stator at these miles?

Thanks for advise.

Depends on conditions and how you drive, my shaft broke last Saturday on my 06 GT with 15,300 miles on Quebec trails.The stator is original and has the up dated hand warmers from Rocker Dan. Thanks again Dan!!! ;)! ;)!

The trip to Quebec was OK this year. Unfortunately we went the first week of February and it was right after the big rain storm. It forced us to go further north and find a cabin. Still was able to get 600 miles on. I got lucky and was able to do a second trip to the UP 2 weeks ago and put another 400 on. All in all good season. Was thinking of trading the sled for the new Viper or 2012 XTX Apex but will wait another year and see if the Apex motor drops into a new chassis.

rbig18 said:
Well, that time of year for me to start the yearly maintenance. I am at 9500 miles on the Attak and believe it is time to do the drive shaft before it snaps like so many have said at this mileage. I hear there was an upgraded shaft a little thicker supplied by Yamaha. Will I need to replace the sprockets as well or will mine fit? How do I know which shaft to order since the part number does not state which it is.

Second question- Should I be concerned about the stator at these miles?

Thanks for advise.

At 9500 miles I would do the driveshaft for sure. On a 2006 you can go OEM or aftermarket Micro-Belmont which is a HD version. Ulmer sell them both ways with drivers already pressed on. Then to add to the draining of your wallet, that would be a perfect time to get new driveline bearings, new track, hyfax, look over the chain and sprokets, and look over the entire skid/wheels while it is all apart. Now if you really think you are getting a new sled next year........you may want to take a chance?? because you are talking a few bucks to do all of this.
As far as the stator thing, I have no opinion, because I don't know if it is an age thing, or a milage thing, or what?

Thanks. I am going to do the drive shaft, hyfax, for sure. I grease/replace all skid bearings every year anyway. Will inspect the jack shaft bearings while I am in there. 100% on a new sled next year one way or the other so I will keep the Attak in tip top shape but not drop big $$ this off season.

Last year I put
Copper exhaust donuts
Olite bushing in front bulk head and entire skid
Stainless y-pipes
clutch bushings

All as preventative. Hopefully drive shaft and some love will get me through next year.

2007 attakgt did my shaft and cogs @ about 10k . No visible cracks. Stator just crapped out last weekend 12300. miles.

I just replaced my drive shaft. Original broke at 12,500 miles. I bought a low miles used replacement from a member on here.

The way I look at it, is that I probably won't have this sled at 20,000 miles... but if I do I'll buy a replacement at that time. To me it didn't make sense to spend big money on a beefed up version since I'm not doing boost.

Back