• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 vector speedo not working

snocruzer

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex RTX
2006 Yamaha RS Vector GT
2003 Yamaha RX1 Turbo
Hi, I have a 2006 rs vector and when my wife was riding the other day the speedo stopped working. Also, when this happened the caution light started flashing along with the engine icon. The first thing I thought was the engine overheating. This was not the case. The temp was fine. The engine ran fine while the light and icon were flashing. Could the caution light have to do with the speedo pickup going bad? I do not have a service manual for this machine, so I do not know if there are any codes or how to access them. If I could get a service manual for the rs vector that would help me out.

Your driveshaft bearing is probably shot and it is now hitting the speedo sensor.

I was thinking this might be the problem. Will i need to take the track off for replacement of the bearing?

No you don't have to remove track. Do a search for replace driveshaft bearing on RS. It will be the same procedure for Vectors, Ventures and Apex's. Last time I did one is took me a couple of hours.. Just hopefully your speedo sensor isn't all eaten up or you will have to get a new one. I'm sure barn of parts will have whatever you need.

If it's the speedo bearing and it's destroyed to that point, best of luck getting it off the driveshaft.

Here's how I had to do one on a project sled I picked up recently. Yes, that's a socket welded to the inner race, and it took a Milwaukee 1/2" 1400 ft lb cordless impact to spin that bisch off. It sucked...

Attachments

• 20220116_101842.jpg
    20220116_101842.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 90
check your pm snocruzer

yup on the bearing failing and taking out the sensor. i have had to use a brazing tip to cut off the inner race on a few sleds. last failed one came off with hammer and punch in 3 peices.

Thank You everyone for your help. I finally got the bearing and the speedo cable in last thursday. The bearing came out easy (yes it was destroyed) but, when I removed the set screw on the backside of the bearing it slid off the shaft with no problem. the speedo works again and we put about 200 miles on it with our 1 day trip to the upper this week. so again thank you for the replies.

Back