• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Attack - no spark

tonykof

Expert
So I drive my 07 Apex on the trailer last spring (running just fine), put the trailer in storage. Go to unload the sled this fall, no spark...:o|
The battery was a little low so I charged it up and put a booster on it, no start, thought I maybe flooded it, change plugs...no spark! And I’m seeing what I believe to be a code 12 (Crank sensor) on my speedo. So it basically broke sitting on the trailer:o| anyway...I checked the ohms and it appears to be within the parameters. Do I still replace it? Replace the whole stator?
Also ordered a new battery - the bigger one that still sits in the box

Any signs of rodent damage as in chewed wiring or possibly a ground corrosion issue. Just trying to think of stuff that could have happened while sitting over summer.

Just did this on my new-to-me 2007 Attak. Was running fine last winter and no spark with code 12 this fall. New stator and it fired right up. The stator comes with a new crank sensor wired in.
Good luck! Eric

Check the kill switch on the handle bars.

you need a new crank sensor you can just buy them from ricks stator or you can buy whole thing i recommend buy a new stator and buy the yamaha one even thought it will cost more it is better.

Looks like I need a stator...question for you. Can I use the Stator out of a RX1?? I’ve read they’re the same and I’ve read they are different.. I have access to a couple blown rx1 motors.

Looks like I need a stator...question for you. Can I use the Stator out of a RX1?? I’ve read they’re the same and I’ve read they are different.. I have access to a couple blown rx1 motors.
It's up to you, but you just need to change the pickup coil. I've done many without changing anything else. When you were testing it, did you test the stator charge wires or the pickup coil wires?
The pickup coil should be the same from an RX-1 to Apex, not sure about the rest.

05 rx stator 8fa-81410-00-00

07 apex/attack stator 8fp-81410-00-00

might work. never tried it personally.

The part numbers are similar where the 2003-2005 used the 8FA-81410-00-00 but then in 2006, they switched to 8FP-81410-00-00 (with several revisions to it i.e. 8FP-81410-02-00). 74Nitro is correct but when my went out on my 08 Apex, I knew I was keeping it so decided to replace the stator using OEM and not aftermarket. I just didn't feel comfortable with splicing in a new pickup coil and such and opted for the stator as it is my backup sled.

It's up to you, but you just need to change the pickup coil. I've done many without changing anything else. When you were testing it, did you test the stator charge wires or the pickup coil wires?
The pickup coil should be the same from an RX-1 to Apex, not sure about the rest.

I tested the ohms in the small plug

I tested the ohms in the small plug
Strange, when they fail they usually are open. What was the reading? When the ECU detects the error, I assumed they are open as well. Did you test at the ECU plug also to eliminate a problem in the harness?

Testing electronics is very new to me so I hope I don't sound too foolish...When I have my tester set on 20k the reading on the white plug with the grey and black/blue wire is 5.65. I'm guessing if I had a 2k setting it would read 565? What say you? :)

ps I don't know how to test at the ecu...at least not yet!

Last edited:
Testing electronics is very new to me so I hope I don't sound too foolish...When I have my tester set on 20k the reading on the white plug with the grey and black/blue wire is 5.65. I'm guessing if I had a 2k setting it would read 565? What say you? :)

ps I don't know how to test at the ecu...at least not yet!
Set the meter to continuity. Test between gray and black. To do it at ECU, just locate those two wires at the ECU plug and check.
But if it showing code 12, that tells me open or short circuit. The ECU more or less has a multimeter built in.

Oh ok, so you’re saying just check each of the wires for continuity (break or short) in the wire itself?

Back