• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 phazer will not go into reverse

Thor17

How’s it going? I recently purchased a 07 phazer gt for my son. The reverse was working intermittently and now it doesn’t work at all. I push the button and nothing happens no buzzer and no indicator light. This is my first Yamaha so I’m not very familiar with them. Any help would be appreciated thanks

When warmed up the idle speed should be around 1,800 rpm. If it's much higher the ECU doesn't usually allow reverse to function. One of mine had this exact issue when I bought it and turning down the idle cured that one.

is the indicator on the gauge flashing after you push the button?

When warmed up the idle speed should be around 1,800 rpm. If it's much higher the ECU doesn't usually allow reverse to function. One of mine had this exact issue when I bought it and turning down the idle cured that one.
Idle speed is around 1600 give or take 20 rpm when warmed up…still no reverse

There are several threads dealing with this issue in the Phazer FAQ section.

To tell you the truth every time I think I have this figured out it stops working reliably again and that is after 16500kms.

There are several threads dealing with this issue in the Phazer FAQ section.

To tell you the truth every time I think I have this figured out it stops working reliably again and that is after 16500kms.
I’ve done a quick search and read some of the threads dealing with this annoying reverse problem but didn’t really find anything like my problem….with no indicator light at all.

make sure all the plugs are clean and pushed together. sounding like one might have corrosion.

I’ve done a quick search and read some of the threads dealing with this annoying reverse problem but didn’t really find anything like my problem….with no indicator light at all.
I've just had a look also and couldn't find the thread/posts that I had in mind. I think it was Mooseman that was running into this. He's bound to show up here before long.

I'm wondering if the throttle safety switch plays a roll in this function. If for some reason the switch is stuck on when the throttle is released does the ECU lock out changing gears? I'll have to experiment on mine to find out.

Try this. Turn the key and start the engine, Dont pause to hear the fuel pump. Mine would not go into reverse sometimes - same as yours. But it you start it that way it will always go into reverse. At least for me.

Last edited:
Likewise here, if I pushed the reverse button immediately upon start up it would sometimes take reverse ... but not always.

I did just verify that any small amount of throttle input locks out the reverse button function. Too high of a TPS reading at idle may even cause it if that is out of adjustment. These things are fussy if anything is out of spec. Both of mine had reverse issues till I took the time to sort them out. They've both been trouble free for over 2,500 miles since, fingers crossed.

Mooseman that was running into this. He's bound to show up here before long.
You rang? :)

I never was able to find the cause of this problem, which is the infamous 'push the button and nothing happens'. Seems to be associated to the flashing green D light but that too there is no known cause. Mine would flash when I decelerated. All I could do, as indicated above, was to restart the engine, going straight from OFF to CRANK. It somehow bypasses whatever safety it's enforcing.

Back