• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 IRON DOG

It appears team#5 is at White Mountain and in the lead. Now on layover. Also Team #23 has scratched after having coolant issues, something with heat exchanger ??
It would be real nice to see Team #5 1st to Nome and then also finish 1st.

TEAM 5 Declared layover in White Mt.

TEAM 32 Declared Layover in Ruby.

TEAM 23 Scratched in Galena due to mechanical problems. (I understand that they lost a motor due to lack of coolant (leaking exchanger) (Mark/Jeff keep your chin up, Theres always next year)

(It would be an amazing thing just to have a 4 stroke finish this race for the 1st time in history)

We still have 2 teams that need your good wishes

GOOD LUCK TO TEAMS 5 AND 32

5 Spence Steve Anchorage, AK Yamaha Nytro Rookie
5 Wold Wayne Wasilla, AK Yamaha Nytro Rookie

32 Downs Chris Ninilchik, AK Yamaha Nytro Rookie
32 Swanson Ryan Kenai, AK Yamaha Nytro Rookie

Root'n for Jeff/Mark, for the simple fact that I know of them through this site and all the help jeff has given me, and all of us. Sorry to hear you scrapped, good luck next year! So sorry it didn't work out for you.

Man that sucks. I was really hoping they'd go without any major problems. Oh well always next year. Hopefully the two other Yammie teams come in well.

A cyber beer and a hats off to teams 2, 23, 35 BETTER LUCK NEXT YEAR!

TEAM 5 IN NOME

TEAM 32 UNOFFICIAL TIME, based on GPS tracker 12:28p.m. NO information from UNK. Possible layover.

KEEP THOSE FINGERS CROSSED

If there is any member of TY in Nome see if you can get any info from Jeff and Mark (Team 23) I hear the may be in Nome to watch.

Dumb question with probably an obvious answer but... Why do a lot of guys who race the Iron Dog wear open face helmets? I am assuming it's for fluid intake, but I wasn't sure if there was some other strategy. Seems like a major safety issue to me. I don't I'd want to race anything that grueling w/o a chin guard.

TEAM 5 STILL ON LAY OVER IN NOME
TEAM 32 ON THE TRAIL TO KOYUK

While I was searching the net for any new info about the race I found a report about Jeff/ Mark (team 23) the report basically stated that the oil drain plug came loose on the dry sump. Then the motor shut down due to a low oil pressure warning. They towed to Ruby replaced the plug then added oil and went back out on the trail. Apparently the motor failed sometime after that. (This may not have been a cooling problem)
(Please take this particular report with a grain of salt at least until we hear from Jeff or Mike)

I think I would sleep better with a blown motor due to a drain plug coming loose than a blown motor due to a crank failing or a rod breaking or piston coming apart... But it still would suck.

Back