• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Phazer RTX... OR.... 2008 Rev XP TNT?

Chris K

Veteran
Looking for a few pennies here, so...
Without bashing the Doo...
What is your take on how these sleds will match up?

I have ridden the new XP and wow!! Incredibly light and fast, with a remarkable suspension, and great ergos (in all fairness the sled I rode was an 800cc though).

The TNT is supposed to weigh in at 399lb. dry! And backed by a reliable ( by that I mean reliable for a 2 stroke) 597cc engine with over 100 HP, this sled should be a blast to ride. That and the TNT resale should be very high - I predict it's going to be one of the hottest (and hottest selling) sleds this year, along with the Nytro of course.

Then there's the Phazer RTX...
Let's face it, the reliability of a 4 stroke should make the decision a no-brainer. But I wouldn't mind more than that... Here are some important factors to me:

Price (advantage Phazer by $500)
Styling (draw, neither really turn my crank, both have ugly grey panels)
Acceleration (Draw, the Phazer from a dig, the TNT catching up top)
Top Speed (TNT)
Fuel economy (Phazer)
Weight (TNT)
Resistance to breakage (Phazer, there's no way a 399lb sled will hold up to any kind of abuse)
Seat Comfort (TNT)
Short term resale (TNT)
Longevity (Phazer)
Fun Factor (Draw?)

Now it's obvious I want to choose the Phazer because I'm posting here and not at DooTalk.com, but I wouldn't mind anyone else's opinions (or feel free to add to my list of pros and cons) so that I will never feel like I made the wrong choice when I buy the Phazer.

Hey,
I have ridden nothing but 440 race sleds for the past few years, I currently still own an 03' REV440.
The phazer is a ball, but to be a real hard edged, ditch ridng machine it needs some mods. #1 is a NEW TRACK..I mean it NEEEEEEDS it.
As far as which machine to buy, the TNT will be faster. I think it will be faster from start to finish(not that the phazer is slow) I wouldn't say 2strokes aren't reliable, especially the TNTs non ho 600 motor..You would get years of reliable use out of that motor.. I love my Phazer, no sled has excited me like this one..From the look, to the sound, to the feel. It is very innovative and unique and for that, I would choose it over the TNT. Good luck! Frank.

TRUTH said:
Hey,
I have ridden nothing but 440 race sleds for the past few years, I currently still own an 03' REV440.
The phazer is a ball, but to be a real hard edged, ditch ridng machine it needs some mods. #1 is a NEW TRACK..I mean it NEEEEEEDS it.
As far as which machine to buy, the TNT will be faster. I think it will be faster from start to finish(not that the phazer is slow) I wouldn't say 2strokes aren't reliable, especially the TNTs non ho 600 motor..You would get years of reliable use out of that motor.. I love my Phazer, no sled has excited me like this one..From the look, to the sound, to the feel. It is very innovative and unique and for that, I would choose it over the TNT. Good luck! Frank.

Thanks Frank, that's a great example of the response I was looking for.
Sounds like you have experience with Yamaha and Doo so your opinion is appreciated.
The reason I guessed that the Phazer would launch better is because I watched a drag race between a Phazer FX (albeit with a 1.5" track) and a Rev 600 HO (SDI). The Phazer pulled about one length ahead from a dig, then the Doo came back with a vengeance. But you're probably right, the power-weight ratio on the TNT is actually higher than the old Rev 600.

Chris,
No problem, glad I could help a little..With a big lug track and 96 studs, a Phazer would launch hard! A phazer with the stock track doesn't hook at all what so ever, until 30 mph. I was real dissapointed in the power at first, until I realized I was just spinning and spinning.
I'll tell you, no sled has ever got me so giddy, it is just a fun play sled. Replace the exhaust with a much lighter one (that is quiet), put a big lug track on and I think you will have the coolest, most fun sled out there! I Chose the phazer over the Nytro..On paper it says 487 pounds, but in the real world, it literally feels 50 pounds lighter than my Rev 440. I could not be happier (but remember, if you want to ride the ditches hard, you will need a few mods to the phazer to make it really work well) Roost on! Frank ;)! PS, where did you see that vid of the Phazer VS Rev 600?

I saw it LIVE, no cameras present.
Wish I could have filmed it though - I don't think either guys expected that!

I have been reading alot about how crappy the stock track is on the Phazer. Which makes me want to buy this '07 FX Demo I found - it has a 1.5" Freeride track... Saves me the hassle (and money).

i would go with the phazer, the tnt surely will be quicker and have the top end, the phazer was new this year and had some bugs to work out, but overall a great break thru, when i got mine i changed the ski's to slp slt's, put the ulmer clutch kit in and put the excell exhaust, made a huge difference for weight and power, the only thing i didn't like about the track is at higher speeds it felt like the back end was going to come out from undeneath you, i had 72 studs, this off season, i'll add 24 more, don't forget dyno-jet has a controller out for the phazer that ulmer racing is working on and i'm sure there will be more performance items out there, stick with 4-stroke, the way yamaha is coming out with new and lighter machines, people will be looking at and buying more 4-strokes instead of 2-strokes

Tough choice.

I've got an '05 500SS I purchased new, thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Great MPG, awesome suspension and great seating position. I have over 3500 miles on her since '05, not one problem...zero maintenance.

Also, have an '07 Phazer FX I purchased for this past season. I had the same concerns coming off the SS. Figured worse case scenario, if I didn't like it...give it to the wife. Well guess what, it has around 1150 or 1200 from this season...I maybe let my son ride it 5 miles, the wife 10'ish. I Bogarted every mile on it... ;)!

Coming off the Phazer everything else fells fat, the narrow tunnel and seat work great. If I was @ the dealer writing the check for '08, it'd probably be a leftover '07 Phazer. Save some depreciation, the '08 Phazer is not any different and any warranty work will be covered on an '07.

For me it would be a coing toss there both great sleds.The non ho 600 engine originally released in 199 is the most relable engine ski-soo ever made.They both get great gas milage and 600 dosen't use much oil.

The new doo will weigh at least 60# less than the phazer, I would say the phazer would feel heftier. I would wait and see if Yamaha updates the Phazer. Too many headaches if your a high miler! Four stroke weight should equal 4 stroke reliability. On the other hand I would never buy a first year sled ever again! I would wait till there's snow on the ground, If the Phazers gets updated, go with an '08.
The ski-doo will be almost impossible to hang with in the trails as well. Many engine options as well.
Bottom line: I was planning on buying a Rev for the past 2 years. Bought a Phazer because it was Yamaha, and because the engine. I stongly regret it. :dunno:

ahhh, sorry, I mis read what you wrote..With some minor tweaking, everything will be fine with this awesome sleds chassis.. :Rockon:

Well, I had a dealer quote me $8750 CDN (+tax) OTD today on the RTX.
Not bad, but I think they may be able to sharpen the pen a little more. However, the local Doo dealer won't budge yet on the TNT, still around $10K. Makes my decision slightly easier.

Don't get me wrong, I think the TNT is probably worth a little more, but add everything together, like the cost of 2 stroke oil etc., and I can't justify the extra cost considering the similarity in fun factor.

Back