• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Vector RS fishtailing bad

Miata Mike

Extreme
Bought the sled used a few months ago for the Wife. She rode it and complained about fishtailing, so I jumped on it and thought it wasn't all that bad.

Today I used her sled as my Attak was missing an idler wheel and I had my hands full all day long. I noticed the shock preload was not on max like my Attak, so I cranked it to the full preload setting. The remote shock setting is about 4 clicks from full hard, just like my Attak. I weigh about 280 pounds by the way. Increasing the preload helped some but not nearly enough.

What is the clip setting on the Mono shock like I have read about? I saw a chart that said it should be on the third setting for my weight instead of the stock one setting.

I have the stock unstudded track and will not be studding it. No idea what the strap setting is but assume it is stock. I am thinking I might need to let the straps out a bit to lighten the skis.

I also do not know what the transfer rod is set at, but again assume it is in the bone stock setting.

I plan on changing the used Woody's Dooly Carbides to 6" Woody's Dooly Carbides. My Attak is perfect with them.

Any ideas on what settings I should be looking to change. The rear of the sled is all over the place with lots of track spin. Thanks in advance!

I just got back from the dealer that I bought the sled from and he suggested I pull the straps tighter one hole at a time to see if that helps.

I will also check to see what the transfer rod is set at.

What is the clip setting on the Mono shock like I have read about? I saw a chart that said it should be on the third setting for my weight instead of the stock one setting.

OK, I have read that the shock needs to come out to change the clip setting on the shock, so that will not be done this Winter.

Any ideas? The 2 smoke side would have chimed in. I can't really find any good threads that describe any setup procedures per se.

I would say if you are still getting a lot of track spin that you need to add in weight transfer. G.B.

I would say if you are fish tailing that you have too much front ski pressure and weight transfer. Back it off. I had the 2009 and had the limiter strap pulled up one from the factory setting and transfer out half. It handled good.

I just got back from the dealer that I bought the sled from and he suggested I pull the straps tighter one hole at a time to see if that helps.

I will also check to see what the transfer rod is set at.

I would say if you are still getting a lot of track spin that you need to add in weight transfer. G.B.

I had the 2009 and had the limiter strap pulled up one from the factory setting and transfer out half. It handled good.

Sounds like I will start off with pulling up the straps one hole and adding a bit of transfer if still at the stock setting. I wish the sled were here right now and not 70 miles away at the cabin. :o|

Indy said:
what model of mx5 do you have? I have a 94R.

I currently have a black 92C with the special edition Nardi & BBS package.

I had a 95M which was my favorite :Rockon:, and a white 91A.

put up for the winter?

Oh, absolutely. Wisconsin is horrible to these cars rocker panels. What about yours? There was a time I would have liked to have an R package. I do miss the way my 91A handled like it was on rails.

I almost lost my 92C hot dogging it on an on ramp. Kicked the back end out and almost over compensated. Good tires are a must. ;-) After that I have acted more my age driving it. ;)!

I used to put it up in the winter, but our winters are hit and miss with snow. I had it out yesterday. Mine does handle well, 16" 50"s all the way around, like driving a go cart. But with the R package, no power steering, kind of a bitch to turn until you are moving. This is the only picture of it I have on my desktop, after a little fender bender. All back together now, new doghouse and de-chromed.

Attachments

• 100_1680-web.jpg
    100_1680-web.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 71

Back