• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 vector starter replacement

wkeggenhoff

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex RTX
Anyone change their starter ? Looked at small cover underneath belly pan see filter but no starter

Where is it even located ? Front of motor, rear ?

Parts breakdown doesnt show where mounted

Getting power out of start solinoid wire that goes to starter but it doesnt make anykind of noise at all

thanks

The first thing I would do is check your starter relay. Its down by the Battery .
This is of the Apex but almost the same procedure. When you get down to the Battery look at the Small relay Block on the Left hand side of the battery. Clean these up very well. If there full of Green corrosion maybe get a new Starter relay.

Don't , put everything back together until you try it . You can plug the wires in by the head light and try to start it . If everything is perfect with the relay block then leave everything apart and we will go on to the next step .

Last edited:
51vrC1PgHLL._AC_SX355_.jpg
It looks like this . The parts break down might show you were it's located .

Using the video DGZRT provided, here's a still image shot where I circle the relay (small circle) and the starter (larger circle). Like Travis mentions, there's no easy way to get at it but if you've ever done an oil change, most if not all of the parts that need to come off to replace starter would have been removed.

StarterRelay.JPG

I've done this a few times, the front motor mount bolts have to come out and undo the exhaust flanges also. The rear motor mount bolt needs loosened, and the motor then will pivot enough to get it out.

Using the video DGZRT provided, here's a still image shot where I circle the relay (small circle) and the starter (larger circle). Like Travis mentions, there's no easy way to get at it but if you've ever done an oil change, most if not all of the parts that need to come off to replace starter would have been removed.

View attachment 163349

vector/venture starter is on the rear of the motor. supposedly tipping the engine ahead and pulling the filter helps.

Anyone change their starter ? Looked at small cover underneath belly pan see filter but no starter

Where is it even located ? Front of motor, rear ?

Parts breakdown doesnt show where mounted

Getting power out of start solinoid wire that goes to starter but it doesnt make anykind of noise at all

thanks
Not an easy job but doable. Have a look at this thread:

Back