• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2010 Vector Horsepower

superb

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper turbo, 2013 Apex, 2012 Vector LTX, 2010 Vector LTX
If's its 6 hp more, does that make it 126hp. Why do they still call it 120hp.

2010 Yamaha Vector review

Got a chance to ride the 2010 Vector this weekend in Derby, VT.
The motor definitely has some noticable advantages over the old 120 HP engine. It pulls much harder than the carb version, and the throttle response is much quicker. No worrying about how quickly the choke can be taken off in extreme cold weather. The clutch still seems to engage quite smoothly, but the power turns on a lot quicker than my 06 120hp motor.
The 2010 handled great and everyone that got a chance to try it seemed to say that it was the most comfortable sled to ride. Everyone there that I talked to, who had experience with the carb 120hp motor, said that the difference in the motors was very noticeable. I agreed.
So, if this 1049cc FI motor gets any better fuel economy than the old 973cc carb motor, which it should, then it should be the ultimate trail sled in that horsepower class.
Not the most exciting release for 2010, if you're looking for 170hp, but If you want the most fuel efficient, comfortable, and reliable trail sled that you can find in the line-up, then Yamaha built your sled this year.
Hopefully this is helpful to anyone looking for that class of sled.
On another note, the two Yamaha Demo guys, Eric & Scott are both excellent at answering questions and providing technical knowledge on the new sleds, as well as real world riding experience.
Get out and ride these new Yamahas, you won't regret taking the time to show up at an event.

I also thinking about popping for the 2010 LTX GT but I am worried about the suspension holding up over aggressive trail riding in the 2-3 footers which we just pound our way through..

Re: 2010 Yamaha Vector review

hamilton1049 said:
The motor definitely has some noticable advantages over the old 120 HP engine. It pulls much harder than the carb version, and the throttle response is much quicker. No worrying about how quickly the choke can be taken off in extreme cold weather. The clutch still seems to engage quite smoothly, but the power turns on a lot quicker than my 06 120hp motor.
The 2010 handled great and everyone that got a chance to try it seemed to say that it was the most comfortable sled to ride. Everyone there that I talked to, who had experience with the carb 120hp motor, said that the difference in the motors was very noticeable. I agreed.
So, if this 1049cc FI motor gets any better fuel economy than the old 973cc carb motor, which it should, then it should be the ultimate trail sled in that horsepower class.
Not the most exciting release for 2010, if you're looking for 170hp, but If you want the most fuel efficient, comfortable, and reliable trail sled that you can find in the line-up, then Yamaha built your sled this year.
On another note, the two Yamaha Demo guys, Eric & Scott are both excellent at answering questions and providing technical knowledge on the new sleds, as well as real world riding experience.
Get out and ride these new Yamahas, you won't regret taking the time to show up at an event.

Great report!

My sentiments exactly regarding the 2010 RS Vector LTX GT.

This is going to be a superb trail / touring machine! ;)!

what is the max rpm on the 1050cc ? is it 8600-8800? my 2009 venture gt gets 8,000 max. and bows belts every 100 miles,cant find problem.

I've got 3000 miles on my belt with no problems.

I'm experiencing 8,400 rpms at WOT.

You may need to take it back to the dealer.

Hope this helps! ;)!

hondo said:
120 HP class motor.

Nytro is a 130 HP class motor. ;)!

come on hondo. give us something beyond the yamaha brochure yada yada..
This is a ? that is on the mind of many people interested in the vector and its new mill.
the 973 was a 120 "class" sled, . The 1049 in the nytro is a 136 to 138 hp sled that is being called a 130 "class" sled.
Yet the 1049 vector is still being called a 120 HP. sled.
give us a break....we didn't ALLL vote for our current admin.
man up.

hamilton1049 said:
So, if this 1049cc FI motor gets any better fuel economy than the old 973cc carb motor, which it should, then it should be the ultimate trail sled
in that horsepower class.

The 120 hp 973 has excellent MPG without FI so when I see a "report " on the new 1049 as being better on fuel mileage, it is a mute point.
AND it sounds like you are reading the yammie brochure to us....SORRY
I have an 08 vector GT and rode the 2010 in muni a few weeks ago.
And unless we line up the 2010 and my 08 side by side ....I could not feel the diff.
All I see is a mill that has much more potential. being stiffled in HP .

snoway said:
hondo said:
120 HP class motor.

Nytro is a 130 HP class motor. ;)!

come on hondo. give us something beyond the yamaha brochure yada yada..
This is a ? that is on the mind of many people interested in the vector and its new mill.
the 973 was a 120 "class" sled, . The 1049 in the nytro is a 136 to 138 hp sled that is being called a 130 "class" sled.
Yet the 1049 vector is still being called a 120 HP. sled.
give us a break....we didn't ALLL vote for our current admin.
man up.

Well Snoway,

Sounds like you need to start reading the brochures, starting with the 2009 RS Venture GT. The information is pretty obvious regarding the 1049 base motor information. There are other sources such as Maxsled.com, Snow Tech, and Amsnow, have all provided written information.

Chris Reid, on the Yamaha Canada Sled talk site has a video of the new 2010 Vector running against an Apex.

You can also go online to the Yamaha Motors Snowmobile site (2010 Snowmobiles, RS Vector) and glean more information.

A 120 HP "Class" motor is a motor that has from 120.0000 HP - 129.9999 HP. Thus the term "120 HP Class Motor".

A 126 - 128 hp motor is still a 120 hp class motor. Got it??? How's that for being spoon fed?

From what I can personnally deduct is that the manaufacturer can tailor a motor for a certain snowmobile application within a couple of HP and still remain within a particular HP Class.

Talking about "manning up", here are a set of both facts and assumptions to consider;

The 1049 base Nytro motor has been detuned by changing the cams to bring down HP to 126 - 128 HP. Why do you ask??? For a broader low end torque band and also to reduced harmonic vibration. Now go back and re-read some of the previous posts regarding those that have had a chance to demo ride the 2010 Vector LTX GT.

Low vibration, reduced vibration: Couple that with extrovert drivers and a fully clipped track Blue #6 of the 2010 Brochure, "With every-window open pattern" will do several things; Reduce vibration, and reduce slide wear. A looser track will also hook up better in loose snow and powder conditions. On the sled there will be; Blue #1 of the 2010 Brochure, "A new forward facing track tensioner".

From what I have read, the 2010 Vector motor has cams that are slightly are different than whats in the RS Venture GT. Thus,Red #2 of the 2010 Brochure, "New trail-tuned Genesis 120 FI 4-stroke engine". The motors HP output will probably be closer to 128 HP. Make the clutch more suitable for trail riding "trail tuned" than the touring version of the RS Venture clutch, and the end result should be an extremely capable trail sled. Yamaha is also doing it's own home work with the goal of producing better and more refined products.

In optimum snow conditions if I'm getting between 18-20 mpg with a 2009 RS Venture GT, I'm assuming the 2010 RS Vector LTX GT (once the motor is broke in) should be able to get 20 MPG or better, based on ones riding style.

If I continue I bet I could qualify for a Pell Grant.

Let me know when you are ready for your own homework assignment!

Cheers! :jump:

Hondo, I'm ordering a 10 Vector LTX GT. Should be a great sled. I love that motor in my 09 Venture GT. However, couldn't improve on fuel economy over 07 Venture. Ran them side by side for hundreds of mile mpg the same. The vector seat sucks for long distance riding so I'll have rebuilt to touring seat. Have a great spring and summer. Ended up with 5300 miles on 09 Venture GT. Great sled.

Darren71 said:
what is the max rpm on the 1050cc ? is it 8600-8800? my 2009 venture gt gets 8,000 max. and bows belts every 100 miles,cant find problem.

Try taking out the spacers behind the three bolts on the secondary .I did that to my RS Venture and have not blown a belt since .

I have been thinking about a 2010 Vector LTX GT also Studdog,

My seat guy can work wonders.

Fuel economy certainly depends on riding style and snow conditions.

I changed my oil yesterday with 3,100 miles on the sled.

Studdog, you have got to be the "high miler" on the 2009 RS Venture GT.

Congrats! ;)!

Darren71 PM'ed me. He is also using Dayco belts which could also be a problem. Just a guess not seeing the machine. ;)!

snoway said:
hamilton1049 said:
So, if this 1049cc FI motor gets any better fuel economy than the old 973cc carb motor, which it should, then it should be the ultimate trail sled
in that horsepower class.

The 120 hp 973 has excellent MPG without FI so when I see a "report " on the new 1049 as being better on fuel mileage, it is a mute point.
AND it sounds like you are reading the yammie brochure to us....SORRY
I have an 08 vector GT and rode the 2010 in muni a few weeks ago.
And unless we line up the 2010 and my 08 side by side ....I could not feel the diff.
All I see is a mill that has much more potential. being stiffled in HP .

True, the 973 does have excellent fuel economy and mileage range with a 10.4 gallon fuel tank.

However, I wouldn't consider better FI fuel mileage just a mute point.

Why??? Compare the 2010 specifications with previous specifications in the brochures.

The fuel tanks have been reduced from 10.4 gallons to 9.4 gallons for EPA compliance reasons.

So, a fuel injected motor getting 5% better fuel ecomomy with a 9.4 gallon tank should give you approximately the same mileage range between fuel stops.

This becomes a very important issue when cruising in Canada, especially when riding in adverse snow conditions which may require a higher power demand.

Couple this scenario when riding in areas that have longer distances between required fuel stops, makes me stop and pause for a moment in order to do some serious "number crunching".

I want to know exactly how much fuel I may need to make the trip in order to arrive safely at the next stop, with a sufficient amount of fuel reserve. ;)!

Back