• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coil over shock

The 146 has a solid shaft going across with wheels on it.
The white blocks near the rear scissors arm will limit the fwd travel of the shock thru the relay rods to keep it from going fwd into the center wheels.
I had purchased my elka before yamaha had come out with the updated air shock from fox.
I had sent my shock back to elka 3 different times to get the fitment correct.
Elka had sent me the spacers at my request for fitment. The hygear appears to have their own spacers made up also for the coil over applications.
The issue i have with the way my shock is set up is the fwd lower bolt will bend if the rear suspension is bottomed out hard.
Proper spring sag and compression settings will help prevent this.
The fwd shock mount bracket that is on the cross shaft needs to be wider to support the longer bolt for the wider spacers.
Otherwise the set up works great.

90436.jpeg

The 146 has a solid shaft going across with wheels on it.
The white blocks near the rear scissors arm will limit the fwd travel of the shock thru the relay rods to keep it from going fwd into the center wheels.
I had purchased my elka before yamaha had come out with the updated air shock from fox.
I had sent my shock back to elka 3 different times to get the fitment correct.
Elka had sent me the spacers at my request for fitment. The hygear appears to have their own spacers made up also for the coil over applications.
The issue i have with the way my shock is set up is the fwd lower bolt will bend if the rear suspension is bottomed out hard.
Proper spring sag and compression settings will help prevent this.
The fwd shock mount bracket that is on the cross shaft needs to be wider to support the longer bolt for the wider spacers.
Otherwise the set up works great.
How did they correct the fitment & why did you have to send it back 3 times
When you buy the elka shock will they send you the new spacers & longer bolt for the lower shock mount.
When you say the forward lower bolt will bend if the suspension is bottomed out hard, are you talking about the bolt that connects the relay rods to the shock mount.
When you say that the forward shock mount bracket on the cross shaft needs to be wider how do you accomplish this.
Do you think if I bought the inner shaft & wheels that are in front of your shock bracket do you think that will work.
When removing the 2 inner wheels & the 2 locking down blocks that mounted on the cross shaft beneath the shock mount bracket do you just elimate those wheels & blocks & re-install the shaft itself.

Sorry for all the questions.
Thank you for all that information
Rich

How did they correct the fitment & why did you have to send it back 3 times
When you buy the elka shock will they send you the new spacers & longer bolt for the lower shock mount.
When you say the forward lower bolt will bend if the suspension is bottomed out hard, are you talking about the bolt that connects the relay rods to the shock mount.
When you say that the forward shock mount bracket on the cross shaft needs to be wider how do you accomplish this.
Do you think if I bought the inner shaft & wheels that are in front of your shock bracket do you think that will work.
When removing the 2 inner wheels & the 2 locking down blocks that mounted on the cross shaft beneath the shock mount bracket do you just elimate those wheels & blocks & re-install the shaft itself.

Sorry for all the questions.
Thank you for all that information
Rich
The fitment issue was the compression knob coming in contact with a grease fitting on crossshaft.
This required a different offset end cap and reservoir on shock.
104612.jpeg

The bolt and spacers Elka sent me.
This is the bolt that bent.

Here is the leak. Number 3 I have run into. Will look and see if eyelet is now available but it wasnt last year. Sucks

Last edited:
Here is some pictures of the grease fitting that is causing this issue on the air shock.
The offset end cap on the Elka keeps the compression knob from hitting the grease zert.
Or just remove the grease fitting and install in different location.
104612.jpeg

Screenshot_20231014-091138_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20231014-091348_Photos.jpg

The shaft and wheels for the 146" are not located as close to the shock as the 129" does so there is no adjustments for them. However, I had problems with the OEM shaft spinning and ended up purchasing Hygear's replacement part that is needed when installing their SingleShot shock replacement on the 129" but is optional on the 146". With that said, worst case scenario is purchase this part from Hygear to deal with the shaft and wheels on the 129" and then purhcase the Elka shock you want.

View attachment 173642View attachment 173643View attachment 173644

Here is some pictures of the grease fitting that is causing this issue on the air shock.
The offset end cap on the Elka keeps the compression knob from hitting the grease zert.
Or just remove the grease fitting and install in different location.
View attachment 173690
View attachment 173688View attachment 173689
Tried to order a shock from Elka but they said it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get one.

I got my Elka from Accelerated Technologies (AT) and theirs come with all the spacers etc for a direct replacement. Also the Elka from AT does not have the external reservior so there are no contact issues. Although mine is for the 146, AT is a shock specialty shop and an Elka dealer so they can do what needs to be done and they are extremely helpful. I highly recommend them for your situation.

I got my Elka from Accelerated Technologies (AT) and theirs come with all the spacers etc for a direct replacement. Also the Elka from AT does not have the external reservior so there are no contact issues. Although mine is for the 146, AT is a shock specialty shop and an Elka dealer so they can do what needs to be done and they are extremely helpful. I highly recommend them for your situation.
Thank you for that information, I called them this morning

Back