• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex ski labelled "pathetic" by Bergstrom

Hmmm don't like the sound of that! Back to the old Yam skis or after market for 2011s.

Say what you want but when it comes to ski's/carbides/darting...Scott knows his stuff.
Yammi has yet to give us a decent ski, so I'm not sure why we would believe this one to be any different.
I'll take Scott's words over Yammi's marketing hype any day of the week.

Not saying he doesn't know his stuff, but don't forget, he's a business man. He actually just lost a bit of credibility with me; making a judgement prior to trying the product himself. Had he ridden one, or done much testing himself, then he may have some ammunition. There may be a lot more in the design along with the rest of the machine that could factor in to the reason why Yamaha did what they did. Until the snow flys, there's no way he can make a statement like that and be 100% sure.

jf

I would say Mr. Bergsrtrom has approached his analysis from an Engineering stand point using past knowledge of what typically happens to certain desaigns of skis with certain sleds.

The 2011 Apex will behave from a sled standpoint (not a driver standpoint) similar to the past ones. From an external shape/ weight/ etc. stand point it's pretty similar to the '06-'10's.

He then got ahold of the ski and measured it's shape from every angle. My money is on Scott Bergstrom that he's right and his fixes improve the ski. The guy is a genius at this stuff.

Mike

well honestly how many miles does he have on these skis??

I'm not sayin hes wrong, as i know yamaha sucks at skis, but i beat the f-ing crap out of all 3 new apex models on demos last year and never had an issue with the skis. Two of them had stock carbides, one had duallies all felt the same. So to say they are dangerous is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, but hey hes got to scare in some money right?

Maxout01 said:

I'm not sayin hes wrong, as i know yamaha sucks at skis, but i beat the f-ing crap out of all 3 new apex models on demos last year and never had an issue with the skis. Two of them had stock carbides, one had duallies all felt the same. So to say they are dangerous is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, but hey hes got to scare in some money right?

I'm thinking he thinks these ski's would suck if they were put on a NON EPS sled?

My thinking is, with EPS any ski would feel pretty good, even older model ski's, which most have tried and know first hand they do suck.

Irv said:
Maxout01 said:

I'm thinking he thinks these ski's would suck if they were put on a NON EPS sled?

My thinking is, with EPS any ski would feel pretty good, even older model ski's, which most have tried and know first hand they do suck.

the bottom line is though hes taken it pretty far to call them dangerous, when my driving experience on them was excellent.

But theres a reason yamaha only has these on the apex, what the reason is im not sure, but my point is yamaha didnt make these for anything but the sleds they are on, they arent aftermarket fit anythings skis, they arent even full yamaha line up skis, they are only on the apex.

Maxout01 said:
Irv said:
Maxout01 said:

the bottom line is though hes taken it pretty far to call them dangerous, when my driving experience on them was excellent.

But theres a reason yamaha only has these on the apex, what the reason is im not sure, but my point is yamaha didnt make these for anything but the sleds they are on, they arent aftermarket fit anythings skis, they arent even full yamaha line up skis, they are only on the apex.

I agree, pretty early to say they suck, especially if he hasn't ridden the EPS Apex yet?

Well i have ridden his set up on an Apex and it is one poor excuse for a fix for darting. It masks the problem rather than fixing it. The only thing his set up does is lift the front of the ski so it does not dart, By doing this it upset's the balance of the ski making it steer hard and makes it feel like it has steering binding issue's because of loading the rear of the ski. Ride a pair of SnowTracker's one time and you will see what i mean. I now have over 4,000 miles on mine and i think i may get another season out of them. Now he wants to sell you more stuff to load the rear of the new ski on the new Apex. Don't tell me how great his stuff is just ride a sled with Snowtracker's and then tell me what you think. They have exactly the oposit approach and they work.

kviper said:
Well i have ridden his set up on an Apex and it is one poor excuse for a fix for darting. It masks the problem rather than fixing it. The only thing his set up does is lift the front of the ski so it does not dart, By doing this it upset's the balance of the ski making it steer hard and makes it feel like it has steering binding issue's because of loading the rear of the ski. Ride a pair of SnowTracker's one time and you will see what i mean. I now have over 4,000 miles on mine and i think i may get another season out of them. Now he wants to sell you more stuff to load the rear of the new ski on the new Apex. Don't tell me how great his stuff is just ride a sled with Snowtracker's and then tell me what you think. They have exactly the oposit approach and they work.

X2 on the snowtrackers. I've had triple points and there is no comparison between them and snowtrackers.

We tried snowtracker's and was not pleased at all. We went right back to our Bergstrom's after 150 miles. My wife will not ride with anything other than Bergstrom's and Im telling you I have tried all brands. So for those that say they turn hard I dont buy that, My wife is 5'1" and a 120 lbs and she has no problem driving her Apex. Im not getting into a pissing match here, Bergstrom's work the best for us on groomed Wis. trails. and we try and get 200 miles a day on.

I haven't tried the snowtrackers so I can not comment on them. I have only tried the Bergstrom triple points with ski savers and shims per Scott's recommendation and I am very pleased.

Back