• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex XTX vs 2012 XF 1100 Turbo 141"

Stigapex

Suspended
Hello

We had a little race today with a stock 2011 Apex XTX, and a stock XF 1100 Turbo 141".

I can't understand why so many people are braging about the new cats. It most be the slowest hiperformance sled I've seen in many years.

It was very many sledlenght behind the Apex in a 660ft race. It was slow from start, and it didn't wake up very much before the race was over.

It is friends of mine that own both this sleds, and maybe some of you know, how much more boost do the cat need, before it wake up?
If I can help my cat-friend get a faster sled, he be happy, and I be happy.

It's not an alternative to drive on anything else than premium-fuel. Race-fuel is not an alternative. How much power is it possible to get in premium fuel ?

goto hardcoresledder.com and look in the 4 stroke performance section under the Cat forms..

We were on lake Gogebic a week ago and a friend with a stock, clutched, 07 Apex RTX lined up with a 12 turbo cat. The Cat had a launch box and was running 24lb boost. The Cat won but I was not impressed by the amount to say the least. They can be made to run but there is no other four stroke's in NA form out there that can match the performance per cc of a Yamaha, at least in the snowmobile world any way.

Stigapex said:
Hello

We had a little race today with a stock 2011 Apex XTX, and a stock XF 1100 Turbo 141".

I can't understand why so many people are braging about the new cats. It most be the slowest hiperformance sled I've seen in many years.

It was very many sledlenght behind the Apex in a 660ft race. It was slow from start, and it didn't wake up very much before the race was over.

It is friends of mine that own both this sleds, and maybe some of you know, how much more boost do the cat need, before it wake up?
If I can help my cat-friend get a faster sled, he be happy, and I be happy.

It's not an alternative to drive on anything else than premium-fuel. Race-fuel is not an alternative. How much power is it possible to get in premium fuel ?
He can send his ECU to D&D for there reflash,that on all stock motor,with stock muffler gives a solid 210 hp,and it raises the rpm as part of the flash,and if he adds a muffler,can add another 10 hp,this is what alot of them that want a no frills power adder,looks all stock,but you have no boost gage,or anything else that alot of guys who run big boost have,and you can run stock clutching with stock muffler. All on 89-91 octane.

kviper said:
We were on lake Gogebic a week ago and a friend with a stock, clutched, 07 Apex RTX lined up with a 12 turbo cat. The Cat had a launch box and was running 24lb boost. The Cat won but I was not impressed by the amount to say the least. They can be made to run but there is no other four stroke's in NA form out there that can match the performance per cc of a Yamaha, at least in the snowmobile world any way.
ow,24 lbs is about 260 hp,he should of killed the apex,was the cat just roasting the track,or did the cat owner have no clue,that is such a one sided race,or it should of been at any rate,how far did they run?

This is same story we've been hearing since the Apex came out in 2006! Every year there's a new sled thats gonna blow it outa the water, but it never seems to happen. XP 800, F1000, original Z1, and now the new Z1. The Apex really is a giant killer. It always runs way faster than it's 150 HP would indicate.

They ran for maybe 800' and the Cat beat him
by about 4 or 5 length's. We knew the guy and he does know what he is doing. Not sure of the number but he had a lot of stud's with ski's in the air. He did say they didn't have it figured out yet though.

I put 5-6 sleds lengths on my buddies 2011 Apex XTX out of the hole, pretty even on top right now. My only defense is I am down about 600RPM, I believe its due to a boost leak somewhere. I am 100lbs heavier then him and spinning the stock 1.5 track with no studs.

Very impressed with the sled in stock form, there are some stupid things but its no worse then any other manufacture. Cat has been really good at addressing the issues, proactive for sure. By far the best sled I have owned to date, the handling is unreal for a high CG long track.

Snowmobiles suffer badly from rotational losses in the track and skid. Like a PWC, it takes HUGE increases in power to add significant top speed. So, if the more powerful sled gives up a little at launch due to traction issues, it is difficult to recover before both sleds fall victum to the losses through the track.

Line the Apex XTX up with the 24 psi 1100 on a 50 roll, and I bet that the 1100 will significantly leave the XTX behind, as traction will not be as big a variable.

Apex xtx skid is the worst skid for drag racing! It does not transfer with no matter what length track u run. I run 1.5 crossover and even in perfect conditions out the hole i always spin like crazy and play catch up game...

Apex xtx skid is the worst skid for drag racing! It does not transfer with no matter what length track u run. I run 1.5 crossover and even in perfect conditions out the hole i always spin like crazy and play catch up game...

I think alot of us know in the past with the (2006-2010) model Apex, "stock for stock" the 136" Attak/LTX seemed to be the one to beat over the short track 121" version. The shorter one had a harder time hooking up and was geared taller. When the new EXUP version 2011-2012's arrived some people thought the XTX would follow suit but from what I have been hearing the shorter version 128" are better than the XTX for drag racing your buddies. I am just assuming but I think this is what Mike Knapp found out last year when he bought a new XTX and was disappointed in its out of the crate performance. Just my observations........

Raced an X-fire 144 on the lake yesterday only because it was a friend of a friend and he was telling everyone how fast it was. Packed powder for 1 mile plus. His longer track kept him ahead by over a few sled lengths for maybe 1/4 mile or more but the old Apex walked on by for a pretty good lead by the end of the mile. He had 700 miles on it and let me drive it afterwards. It was a nice sled and it hooked up good. It also looked good but that white is hard to see on the lake. It reminded me of a diesel truck. Tons of torque but a terrible sound. Maybe the short track can beat me but this sled isn't as fast as I thought. Now hyjack it and it is all over.

journeyman said:

I think alot of us know in the past with the (2006-2010) model Apex, "stock for stock" the 136" Attak/LTX seemed to be the one to beat over the short track 121" version. The shorter one had a harder time hooking up and was geared taller. When the new EXUP version 2011-2012's arrived some people thought the XTX would follow suit but from what I have been hearing the shorter version 128" are better than the XTX for drag racing your buddies. I am just assuming but I think this is what Mike Knapp found out last year when he bought a new XTX and was disappointed in its out of the crate performance. Just my observations........

Wasn't disappointed in the Apex engine performance as I was the chassis. Just wasn't the machine my XR1200 Doo is. Eventually made the Doo faster than the 2011 Yamaha Apex with header and PB80 clutch too, but that was just a bonus.

I have a new 2012 Cat turbo that is an absolute rocketship, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Doo for handling either. The Turbo Cat is faster than my my old turbo Yamaha's or turbo Doo's.

Not a chance any stocker even comes close, but it is boosted with JD Powersports 4 stage tune and Exhaust. Fast as all get out but won't rail like the Doo or ride as good either. That little Doo is still my all time favorite machine!

journeyman said:

Then gear up so it does not spin so much!

KnappAttack said:
journeyman said:

Wasn't disappointed in the Apex engine performance as I was the chassis. Just wasn't the machine my XR1200 Doo is. Eventually made the Doo faster than the 2011 Yamaha Apex with header and PB80 clutch too, but that was just a bonus.

I have a new 2012 Cat turbo that is an absolute rocketship, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Doo for handling either. The Turbo Cat is faster than my my old turbo Yamaha's or turbo Doo's.

Not a chance any stocker even comes close, but it is boosted with JD Powersports 4 stage tune and Exhaust. Fast as all get out but won't rail like the Doo or ride as good either. That little Doo is still my all time favorite machine!

Keep that one for the trails!!

Back