• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 EPS intermittant problem

titanrcr

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 Sidewinder LTX LE
2015 Viper LTX SE
2011 Apex
I have a 2011 apex and on my last two days of riding had the "EPS" light up on the guage cluster. First day it would come and go during the first half mile of riding and the power steering would come and go as well, very noticable difference. Second morning it lasted about 5-10 minutes and then cleared. Both days once it cleared up it was good for the day. Have about 3K miles on the sled now, just curious if anyone else has had anything like this happen? Both times it was the first start for the day or ice cold machine.

Check to see if the ECU in the nose cone is packed with snow. I also had this happen after riding in dusty conditions and the next morning the EPS light came on . After a few miles it went out. It was also well below freezing at night.

Called 2 dealers and they told me if the volatge is not at a certain level, the first thing that the computer do is to deactivate the EPS.

They suggested to change the batterie. I order one I will let you know if it is the fix

Thanks for your responses,
I will check for codes and check the battery voltage as well. I was thinking that maybe the snow that can accumulate in the nose would cause a moist environment under the hood during riding and then freeze something on the eps system at night. Both nights it had dropped to 15 or 20 below zero. I could see the low voltage being a problem as well, have never charged the battery. Curious if the new battery cures your EPS issue. When that EPS stops working you remember how good it really is!

its not anything to what you guys are saying. Its freakin cold in saskatchewan all the time here and Ive tested it out plenty of times. Nose full of snow, nose empty. At -20c it seems and colder the eps will quit while riding at that temp. It will not work until your either riding in warmer temps or your driving the machine hard on the trail or in powder as when its break time the heat seems to work on it. -20c and colder the eps does not work, period

yamahahaapex said:
its not anything to what you guys are saying. Its freakin cold in saskatchewan all the time here and Ive tested it out plenty of times. Nose full of snow, nose empty. At -20c it seems and colder the eps will quit while riding at that temp. It will not work until your either riding in warmer temps or your driving the machine hard on the trail or in powder as when its break time the heat seems to work on it. -20c and colder the eps does not work, period

A few guys thatn own 2011 and up rode last week in pretty cold temperture -30 and below, never had any ESP problem. Any How I will let you know I will change my Batterie. The only thing not sure that we will see temperture as cold as last week before the end of the season.

The steering is still a lot lighter than I remember my attack to be without eps. With it off there is a difference but not as much effort required to push the bars compared to my older apexs. With the little difference felt with eps on then off I hadn't noticed plenty of times that it probably wasn't working in frigid temps. -48c right now. -3c in 36hrs go figure

This might be a good reason to add the storage bag that so many are worried about over top of the unit in the front of the machine. That would at least keep the snow off of it and keep it warmer when it's that cold. I've had a storage bag up in the front and never had any issues but i haven't used it when it's been realy mild either. When i do then i will just remove it.

I had the same issue with my 2011 apex, only on cold mornings, (-25c or colder)After things warmed up under the hood it would start working again.Only happened twice.My 2012 xtx has not had this happen.

Back