• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Apex front storage bag

02ViperMody44

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
2013 Yamaha XTX
YAHOO
ramody44@yahoo.com
OK, santa was kind to me, in that he brought me some accessories for my new sled, as it sets in the garage with no miles on it... :o| Regarding the front storage bag, has anyone run this on the 11's or 12's? I see in the instructions they are saying to loosen the bolt for the rectifier/regulator and mount it tilted down and forward, but I'm assuming those instructions are for the non-EPS sleds, which don't have the extra module for the EPS mounted there Has anybody successfully re-mounted the electronics on their 11's or 12's to use this bag. If so any pics advice would be appreciated. I was thinking about seeing about mounting it under that plastic bulkhead piece that they are currently mounted on. Anyone try that?
Thanks in advance..

I have a bag in my '06 Apex - really nice added storage. When it came to my '11 Apex XTX I was perplexed - how to make use of this extra (all be it smaller than my '06) space?? After trying to relocate some of the hardware (I was not successful - found it just too tight and required a bunch of specialty fabricated clamps/parts) I concluded that I would either have a special bag designed or simply use the space without a bag. So last year I simply stored a few things with no bag but made sure they would not bonce around or cause excessive heat build up - I have a set of booster cables, work gloves, toe rope (aka cat rope) and gas siphone in the front and no problems for 800kms. Some guys have mentioned heat build up - I kept an eye on it through last March when it was warm out and had no problems.

If you find another solution plse post!!!

Yeah, I sure will. I was looking at it last night for a moment, and was wondering whats under the plastic piece that the electronics were mounted on, wondering if I could invert the pieces, and mount them from underneath. I will look to see if that is possible.

Like SRX boy, I could not figure out a way to put the nose cone bag to fit, so now I also use the space to store small set of jumper cables, and a tow rope. Hope I never have use those items on my sled.

You can get it in but the shape of the bag doesn't properly fit into the '11's and '12's given the new equipment. You could get a bag nade but the new machines but the space is so tight that getting the bag in and out would be a pain - I concluded better off just using the space with small items is best.

smitdog55 said:
I was told by a dealer the nose bag won't fit and went with a windshield bag

I really have to state my dismay w/ the Yamaha reps. that I spoke to at two different shows. One in the 2012 Syracuse, NY Powersports show and the other a couple of weeks ago in Old Forge, NY. I asked them about the bag for the front, and they said that it would fit as Yamaha wouldn't offer it for the '12 Apex, in their catalog, unless it would. Also stated that there would be no issues for heat...again see above. I also asked them at both shows, if there were any changes to the skid to help combat any of the Hyfax issues. At both shows, I asked numerous reps. and all said that there were NO changes done to the skids from '11 to '12 on the XTX Apex. I brought up the fact that the front outside bogie wheels on the skid on the '12's are in front of the pivot mount and looking at pics of the '11s they are behind them. Deer in headlights look. They had no knowledge of any changes, and again said that the skid was unchanged. If you look at the parts fiche, you can see that the wheels are in different positions, different mounts for the wheels, different rails w/ different holes, and my limiter strap only has three(3) holes whereas I guess the '11's had 5. Different part numbers for all. Just my gripe... but I hate buying things only to have to send them back. I bought/ordered a grey and black deluxe sled cover, but there was a superseded part number, and it is a blue and black cover. No description that there is a color change... all seems very sloppy to me.

I was able to fit my front storage bag from my 07 RTX into the front of my 11 XTX, its a lot tighter w/ the PS but its in there.

I hear what you're saying as well. Kevin at port Yamaha flat out told me it wouldnt work for the nose bag in the 2012, he does know his stuff. As for the other changes, I dont understand why there isnt a sheet with all the little changes like the limiter straps, with only 3 holes this year not 5, and i was reading posts telling me to move it up two hole etc and the wheel changes were likely to help reduce hyfax wear and yamaha didnt mention it to anyone since they dont claim there is an issue with 2011 model xtx.

I placed my storage bag and just used the velcro straps attached to the aluminum cross bar to hold it in place. I really feel that it won't move, I am not going to be placing anything heavy in it, maybe tow strap and Jumper cables. The sled is a 12 Apex SE...

Yamaha Reps/Dealers are either untrained on the changes from year to year or denying that anything was changed in 2012 to address the 2011 hyfax wear issue because then they'd be admitting there was a problem in the first place...all leading to an ugly Yamabigbucks recall !

When researching before I purchased, Yamaha "Product Manager" in CA told me the same thing about NO changes on the 2012 skids to reduce hyfax issues when I called to see if anyone had a straight answer...and sure enough, there are changes...maybe related to handling and not hyfax ??....doubt it.

Either way, if reps/dealers have any value at all to the sales process, they should be familiar with what accessories (at least bags and covers) work with a 14K sled that comes with very little storage in the first place.

kingstonnh said:
Yamaha Reps/Dealers are either untrained on the changes from year to year or denying that anything was changed in 2012 to address the 2011 hyfax wear issue because then they'd be admitting there was a problem in the first place...all leading to an ugly Yamabigbucks recall !

When researching before I purchased, Yamaha "Product Manager" in CA told me the same thing about NO changes on the 2012 skids to reduce hyfax issues when I called to see if anyone had a straight answer...and sure enough, there are changes...maybe related to handling and not hyfax ??....doubt it.

Either way, if reps/dealers have any value at all to the sales process, they should be familiar with what accessories (at least bags and covers) work with a 14K sled that comes with very little storage in the first place.

Agree 100% :drink:

Just another thought - Skins has a new rear tunnel bag specifically designed for the XTX - just picked one up and it looks like it will work well. They have some special heat reflective material where the two exhaust pipes go so there is no need for turnouts. It feels like the bag is slightly larger than the front storage bag but I wouldn't want to carry anything too heavy. Its my first year with it so I can't tell you how it will work. If you go to the Skins sight under the yamaha category you will see there is a special bag for the '11 and '12 Apex XTX.

SRX Boy said:
Just another thought - Skins has a new rear tunnel bag specifically designed for the XTX - just picked one up and it looks like it will work well. They have some special heat reflective material where the two exhaust pipes go so there is no need for turnouts. It feels like the bag is slightly larger than the front storage bag but I wouldn't want to carry anything too heavy. Its my first year with it so I can't tell you how it will work. If you go to the Skins sight under the yamaha category you will see there is a special bag for the '11 and '12 Apex XTX.

I have that same rear bag, and am looking forward to trying it out also.

Was up in Kap over the holidays- Skins rear storage bag worked really well. No bouncing around and the kipper was easy to get into even though it was -30C a couple mornings. A must have for the folks with XTX's.

Back