• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 Apex XTX Studs ??? How many? Too many or Not enough?

heychubba

I just picked up my '14 XTX and was planning on studding it. But with the 144" in track, pitched at 2.52, it gives me 57 flats to put studs. That's an odd number and I was hoping to to go 2 + 3 every other lug. But that will leave two lugs next to each other with the same number of studs. I'm not too worried but just wondering what anyone else has found out from trial & error? I could go with 114 at 2 per lug or 171 with 3 per? Too many and it might be too much rotational weight, too few and they might rip out from over stress. Or... 133, going 2+2+3 or 152, going 3+3+2????

Been gone over alot obviously.
Search would find you most of those.
Or read in past the first couple pages.

Anyway I will say that in the beginning I only had 2 in each paddle and I was bending them often.
Not enough for all that torque.

No disrespect Mr Crow, but this isn't the first time I've used the internet. I know how to search, and I have. That's why I posted the question.

These new Apex's are more powerful and have longer track than the ones in the previous years. (This will be my 4th Apex since 2006) I was hoping for some feedback from riders that are trying to make things work on the newer sleds.

And thank you for the input about '2 per' bending from the torque.

I'm running 1 .450. 3 perole down the middle only.my exhaust has damage .just added 1/2 to the Tunnel protectors.thinking about dropping the suspension 20 millimeters.

i run that same pattern with the 1.375" and it works just fine. before i changed the pattern from the perivous owner i had some bent because there was only 2 singles per row. i checked mine from last year and they all look good with that 2-3 pattern. i have no damage whatsoever to my exhaust. i can't figure out how some guys do and others don't. the only thing i can think of is they are either not running the track tight enough or they just hammer and jump everything in site. i ride aggressive and i have no problems. if you're worried then just do the fix to the protectors as mentioned above. i'm thinking of adding an old set sliders on top of the tubing between the u brackets to keep it from collapsing in case i ever do get in trouble and land hard. ;)!

of coures the common rule is one stud per horsepower and with a newer apexes pushing close to 170hp the three in every row would be the right way to go I can tell you from past experiance with the apexes i have owned that they will rip out studs if under studded. I have gone prestudded on my curent and last sled i love it but i was one to under studd my machine as i like it to let go a little in the corners. I love the sled with the prestud set up and no issues with tear outs or exhaust damage yet. also weight savings as well over standard studs. just my .02 for what its worth.

I have a '13 XTX and agree, there is NOT a lot of info regarding any particular stud pattern for the longer track(144) models. The odd number of slots does make that an issue. I use a 3 per bar pattern, down the middle, of 1.34" roetins. I did bend/break quite bit of them last year in the 3400 miles I travelled. I would recommend the Hauck tunnel protectors, that add some hyfax to the protectos:
http://www.hauckpowersportsinc.com/page ... duct/54720

No scratches/dings on my exhaust in those miles.

Also, I made the mistake of studding too close to the center of the track, and my studs have worn down the eyelet of the front suspension shock.

I use one double woodys plate per bar , turbo at 295 hp works well , not to heavy at speed !Track went 9989 km before spitting it off , no studs pulled through !

as 02viper mentioned, keep away from the centre of the track. forgot to mention that, that's why i restudded my track. also make sure you tightened them down good so the head is flush because the heads will and do damage the inside idlers at the front.

I run a 3/2/2 pattern I believe it works out to 133 down the middle They are 1.5" and have 1000 miles with no issues .Rear shock damper set on low and rear spring set on low and i am 230 lbs.My machine is a 2012 xtx

Back