• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 Viper Oil Light

When I come to a stop I hit the kill switch but that light only comes on once and a while when it comes on the sled won't start you have to turn the key off for a minute or two and then she fires right up

Bww. Use the key switch and I think its going to work alot better for you. What you're seeing is normal when the kill switch is used, I know that I have seen this on our sleds before because I still like to hit the kill switch for some reason at times. Old habits. You're right if the sleds oil light is on it will not start until you turn off the key and back on to reset the ECU. I hope this helps.

Thanks yamahaguys, I was just worried my sled wasn't getting oil pressure... I just bought the sled secondhand ..... I think we still hit the kill switch because were used to the old two strokes Haha. Do the Yamaha vipers have a break in Mode till 1500 km, and then it will give you full power

Thanks yamahaguys, I was just worried my sled wasn't getting oil pressure... I just bought the sled secondhand ..... I think we still hit the kill switch because were used to the old two strokes Haha. Do the Yamaha vipers have a break in Mode till 1500 km, and then it will give you full power

The Vipers don't really have a electronic break in mode like some of the doo's have. However most guys here say the motor really comes alive with more miles and I agree. I think I noticed mine really starting to come alive around 800 miles or so. My profile picture here was with at about 30 miles so this is how I break in. ;) Congrats on your new sled ;)!

The Vipers don't really have a electronic break in mode like some of the doo's have. However most guys here say the motor really comes alive with more miles and I agree. I think I noticed mine really starting to come alive around 800 miles or so. My profile picture here was with at about 30 miles so this is how I break in. ;) Congrats on your new sled ;)!
Thanks yamahaguys. The reason I ask about break-in when I pin it it just seems to want to hit limiter 0-120 Kilometers an hour. Is it supposed to hit limiter all the time or something wrong and I should take it to the dealer ?

Thanks yamahaguys. The reason I ask about break-in when I pin it it just seems to want to hit limiter 0-120 Kilometers an hour. Is it supposed to hit limiter all the time or something wrong and I should take it to the dealer ?

Should not be hitting the limiter all the time so you may have something going on with the clutch, belt slipping, clutches dirty and or binding, etc? You might want to start a new thread on that question so the clutch experts can see it and help you out.

Last edited:
We stopped on the trail today, I noticed that when I shut my machine off the oil light was on. Checked the oil and went to start it. No go. I cycled the key again and the light was off. Worked good all day after that.

Has anyone seen this before?

Yes mine did this a few times last year when I first bought it used, hasn't done it again since.

Same thing. No ignition when the light was on ?

All day working great , pull up next to a bunch of pooo doos and this happens. Ick

Mine did something similar to that last year, I was driving along and I noticed the oil light was flashing. I started slowing down so I could pull over and the engine shut down on me. Went to go restart it and it fired right back up but the oil light was still flashing and it only ran for a few seconds before shutting off again. I tired a few more times but it was the same, run for 10 secs then shut off. We tried tipping it on its side for 30 secs to help prime the oil system and that seemed to help. Next time we fired it up it ran for a bit longer before shutting off and the last time we tried it stayed running and the light was off. Was fine the rest of the day and hasn't acted up since. The oil pressure sensors seem to be a little sentisive in these things, I've even noticed when I first turn the key off and shut off the engine the oil light will come on for a split second before the gauge powers down

I wonder if its sensing the checkball in seperator being frozen closed and not getting full flow because of it?

Back