• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 xtx oil level

TURBLUE

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder MTX
625C0AD2-2E8A-42D4-BE0B-A6C0EB6A625D.jpeg
A2233BD9-32D8-448C-9A82-6B1D1D7BE703.jpeg
So I’m confused on what oil level I should be following. I bought this 2014 xtx 162 used. The oil tank has a dipstick and sight glass. According to the manual and everything I read on here I should be following 1/2 of the sight glass.

or the tank has been updated but how do I tell.
Or he just bought the dip stick.

he was running the level on the dipstick and not the sight glass ...I changed oil and curious on what’s right.

I ride mountains so am I ok to run off the dipstick level for the steeper terrain?

I’m guessing from looking at the parts diagrams for the 14 xtx and 15 mtx I should go off the sight glass. Looking like if you have the dipstick you shouldn’t have the sight glass so he must of added the dipstick to the original oil tank.

Yes you are correct, the earlier Vipers used the sight glass to determine the oil level. Just curious if the the dipstick goes down that far or if their was a new oil tank to go with the use of the dipstick.

Someone simply ordered a dipstick and put it in the old style sight glass tank. The dipsticks were designed to be used with the MTX tanks that had a baffle inside to help keep the oil at the bottom of the tank during extreme angles. If you had a sight glass with no baffle on a trail sled you would use 4.1 quarts of oil and if you had the dipstick with the baffled tank you would use 4.4 quarts. These oil volumes are assuming you've changed the filter and drained the crankcase. Since you don't have the baffle inside of the tank I would probably run at the sight glass level to help keep oil out of your air oil separator.

Last edited:

Back