• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

sheetwright said:
Murse said:
Are the doo's not having over heating issues? I ride with all doo's and anytime we touch roads which in Ontario we often do " follow road to trail........." there is so much steam and smoke coming off the back of the doo's and they over heat and go into protection mode which means engines dies after 40mph. ANNOYING but necessary to not blow motor apart. I ride my Apex and a friend of mine rides a Phazer in the same conditions and we do not have half of the over heating issues. This may be why Yamaha has the heat exchanger and tunnel design the way it is. For my riding it works for me.

You are correct. In Wyoming we rented 800 doos and on the teIl they overheated like crazy. My buddy rides a 2009 1200 x package and he had to add a front radiator kit to his also. On marginal days he had issues. Easy to claim the lightest sled when you leave half the stuff off the sled lol
We are getting a lighter sled(just how lighter is the question).As for power i beening hearing about the cross-country sleds pushing close to 160HP in race trim(SNOWGOER FORUM feb2012).This combo in a new lighter package will be insane.A Turbo option will be the bomb.......But they maybe ready to rewrite the displacement rules.Picture a 673cc triple pushing 115-120HP(We know the phazer engine is hitting 80hp,same as cats two-stroke).Imagine this really hitting hard in the two-stroke 600 market :-o .

I'm hearing 40-45lbs lighter from my sources. Puts the sled in the 475 range +/-.That with the possibility of 160 NA motor or a 180+ turbo option and a better suspension will make most happier. May not make the apex diehards happy, but the lower body style may help IMO. It will be different for all, but put us in a better position then minor changes every decade.

The cross country sleds are not 160hp. I would challenge Snowgoer in a heartbeat to dyno my sled. All that we are running is a dynojet system with the auto tuner added on. Unless the factory guys have more in them than what they are telling me, but this TY team was supposed to have the same equipment.

This past weekend I went trail riding with Gade Thrasher and the Muffin Works boys and his sled was clutched from Ulmer. My clutching is still stock and Gade Thrasher smoked me!.

Agreed I would put my machine on the dyno and bet against the cross country machines any day....160hp hmmm I think those engines can take way more, I would be expecting 185-200 NA
I need a dyno near me! Damn the far north , no dynos :drink:

koreyk125 said:
The cross country sleds are not 160hp. I would challenge Snowgoer in a heartbeat to dyno my sled. All that we are running is a dynojet system with the auto tuner added on. Unless the factory guys have more in them than what they are telling me, but this TY team was supposed to have the same equipment.

This past weekend I went trail riding with Gade Thrasher and the Muffin Works boys and his sled was clutched from Ulmer. My clutching is still stock and Gade Thrasher smoked me!.
I have to be a little more in depth.This info was from the SNOWGOER forums trash talk section.Some folks were there ragging on the yamaha cross-country sleds and why they were ban(ski-doo sticky fingers)in stock classes with the light front end.One of the posters said he was talking to a yamaha racing member at the soo-500 race.He mention the Nytro having many enhancements to the powerplant(hitting close to 160hp).Loose lips sink ships..

Everyone has sources, lol who are these sources? I have to admit I have no real solid sources that actually know more than I do about the 2014 which is not much other than they are coming. I hope these people are not counting on the dealers for sources, we know how correct their info was the last 10 years.

Thats just it, NOBODY (unless you work high up at Yamaha) knows whats going on! You guys and all your sources can speculate all you want...

Anyone know if Skinz has sold alot of "black project" nytros? Im thinking thats what the nytro mtx would have looked like with anual updates...

Sled Dog said:
Everyone has sources, lol who are these sources? I have to admit I have no real solid sources that actually know more than I do about the 2014 which is not much other than they are coming. I hope these people are not counting on the dealers for sources, we know how correct their info was the last 10 years.

I was at two different dealers and they no nothing they both said yamaha says nothing like the programs coming they don't know til mid-night on the 1st of the mounth

sledneck22 said:
That's why I put a turbo in the back where the muffler was. Just to cure my ice build-up problems.
I actually recall someone riding all day and when they got home, pulled the sled into the garage and put all the ice buildup from under the tunnel into a 5 gallon pail. When it all melted, they could barely fill a gallon ice cream jug with water. And If my calcuations serve me correct, a gallon of water weights 8.34 lbs.
So assuming you have 10 lbs of ice buildup, how much difference does that acutally make?
As for the new sleds and new releases and new mergers.... Who cares for now. Hold onto your shorts and wait for them to release it. All this build up is only going to make you more disappointed when it isn't to your expecations.
I'm sure when someone gets credible evidence of what's going to be released... They will tell us about it.
Just my $.02
I think the amount of ice buildup in tunnel varies allot. I too have a heated garage and create a fresh batch of ice on every ride. If trails are smooth and suspension works less, I can usually double the ice under there. I can't believe the weight difference when I'm done riding and pull the sled in garage to lift the sled on dollies again. I can guarantee its much more then 10 lbs difference at times.

Anyways, on the 2014 speculation part of things, I believe yamaha will work off the Nytro platform and improve it from there. I think the Nytro is a great sled and I also ride a new doo, which is my wifes sled when we go out as a family. There is a few things with the Nytro that could definitely improve to be competitive to competition with minimal cost, which is beyond me as to why things don't change sooner. If you can get things from the competition, why is it you can't with Yamaha? e.g, If you can get a bigger fuel tank for more range with a doo 1200 and have better gauges, storage etc, why would yamaha not have a fuel tank size to be competitive and throw the Vector gauge on Nytro? If a newby customer is in the market for a Nytro class sled and does research, what are the chances for a yamaha sale? Yamaha markets the Nytro as a ditchbanger so I guess yamaha says we don't need more then a 28L tank, nice gauges or storage...wrong Yamaha!

In my opinion Yamaha has to have a different approach with its customers where they need to think "the customer is always right" mentality. Sometimes thinking practical to improve or not improve something will steer customers away to the competition because at the end of the day, if a customer buys from the competition, its a sales loss to yamaha and their is a reason for it. Yamaha's marketing seems to be well thought out, but it is slow as hell where yamaha often misses the nitch or trend.
This stems from years ago when yamaha often reacted to the competition 2-3 years late. From the mid 90's when the big tripple cylinder craze was on and polaris was sitting in the #1 spot, yamaha answered to that when the triple craze moved to the big twins. In the late 80s, yamaha came out with the first rider forward sleds with the snowscoot/snowsport in a small sled segment. Could this have been a platform to work on and steel the thunder that the Doo rev won over in 2003? When the revolutionary RX-1 released in 2003, it took a couple years to dump the proaction suspension in favour of improved suspension in a time where yamaha's were known for poor suspensions. The other OEMs focussed on weight and longer travel suspensions while yamaha added weight with a poor suspension. If it wasn't for yamaha's killer engines, I don't think yamaha would have survived. Yamaha now has great suspensions and great trail sleds with killer engines that I believe to this day are still the best in the business. At the end of the day, the competition has set new standards in weight and also closed the gap in 4-stroke performance. Now yamaha is sitting in a more level playing field with reliability as a strong selling point. We all know Cats will only get more reliable with a great platform, Doo has a great lineup catering to a more variety of riders and will no doubt raise the bar once again with their 4-strokes, Polaris is no longer treading water and stealing a bit of the 2-stroke market and yamaha is.........................??

Dan

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain the Phazer is just like every other Yamaha when it comes to exhaust. The exhaust still still runs under the front of the tunnel and then exits above the tunnel at the rear. Having the hot exhaust exposed to the snow creates all the ice.

Back