• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AKrider said:
Sled Dog said:
You forgot to mention about all the blown engines the stingy oil burning etec two strokes had and still have. Is that progress or trying to beat govt regulations? It would be the latter and how about the $200 cat belts being burned up in a day is that going forward? You can go back and read how much some members here disliked not having reliability, walking is not fun and not being able to do one trip without a breakdown is not fun either. Yamaha is reliabilty becasue they build things well which means more weight you can ride or walk your choice in the ten years I have owned my 4 strokes yamis I have never had to walk home or be pulled home. I have pulled the other three colors more than once. Build them light and they will break down more often the other three have proven that point as well. There is room for Yamaha to make some improvements and I do hope they do it but not at the cost of losing reliabilty its what this company stands for and some just dont get it. Your not going to will or force Yamaha to build something that is not reliable its that simple.

I never claimed 2 strokes were more reliable the 4-strokes. However, 2-strokes were supposed to be dead years ago when the EPA regs came out and with technology and innovations they are still around and can actually get better milage than a 4-stroke. Certain models of 2-stroke engines from certain companies are way worse than others for reliability and a guy has to pick his poison. Are the '13 Cat's still having belt issues?

I don't follow your logic in how a heavier weight makes a sled more reliable?
You can say what you want about this.i almost only rida with Polarisguys.One had to change rivets and chassieparts after only 380 km!!!!(2011SBA)another one bought parts fore over 2500$ after 2000 km.(2011RMK A)Ihave 2300km with the same driving and i had replased handwarmers fore free at the dealer.yes its heavy.its a tank.

All this talk of ice build up and rear exhaust has always made me wonder why they never blocked off the hole from the factory, and added a full panel heat exchanger toward the rear, like on a doo? Hard to have ice build with a hot exchanger. Besides these things over heat in low snow from the factory. So only makes sense

That's why I put a turbo in the back where the muffler was. Just to cure my ice build-up problems.
I actually recall someone riding all day and when they got home, pulled the sled into the garage and put all the ice buildup from under the tunnel into a 5 gallon pail. When it all melted, they could barely fill a gallon ice cream jug with water. And If my calcuations serve me correct, a gallon of water weights 8.34 lbs.
So assuming you have 10 lbs of ice buildup, how much difference does that acutally make?
As for the new sleds and new releases and new mergers.... Who cares for now. Hold onto your shorts and wait for them to release it. All this build up is only going to make you more disappointed when it isn't to your expecations.
I'm sure when someone gets credible evidence of what's going to be released... They will tell us about it.
Just my $.02

Don't the Nytro and 09+ Phazers already have an exhaust fully above the tunnel? Are they any better with ice buildup?

The phazer has the exhaust above the tunnel. There is still one open hole in the front of the tunnel and there used to be an open hole in the rear. I hand an 07 and the icing was brutal. It used to coat the running boards and fill up the inside of the tunnel to the point where the track began to suffer damage. I closed both holes and never had an icing issue again. Unfortunately the gas tank sits above the exhaust which adds to the high COG and if the heat shielding fails, which mine did a couple of times, it can melt the tank. I was very paranoid of this and eventually wrapped the header and beefed up the heat shielding. The high exhaust and high gas tank coupled with the tall engine made for a very tippy sled. The MTX almost needed a kick stand, lol. They we're a fun sled, I'll say that but you really needed to be on your game.

sk-rx1 said:
Don't the Nytro and 09+ Phazers already have an exhaust fully above the tunnel? Are they any better with ice buildup?

All of Yammy's 4 strokes have the silencer angle out halfway through the tunnel.

Some good points being made here on the rear exhaust so I did a quick pro/com list on what I have experienced on my Apex RTX here goes:
Pros
-Longer length most likely gives better tune for sound and performance.
-Reduces engine heat under hood (unlike CAT Turbo)
-Does look neat especially from rear of sled
-Makes a good rearfacing handwarmer (joking)
Cons
-Icing (which has caused lug damage to my track as I don't always keep it inside)
-Breakage, Donut wear (experienced both, not fun)
-Extra weight
-Taller cg due to engine mounting for rear exhaust

Feel free to add any more.

Also those talking about enclosing the exhaust and then running a heat exchanger under it, Wha? Unless I am misunderstadinghow will an exchanger cool the engine down with a hot exhaust above it? Please clarify if am not understanding.

Are the doo's not having over heating issues? I ride with all doo's and anytime we touch roads which in Ontario we often do " follow road to trail........." there is so much steam and smoke coming off the back of the doo's and they over heat and go into protection mode which means engines dies after 40mph. ANNOYING but necessary to not blow motor apart. I ride my Apex and a friend of mine rides a Phazer in the same conditions and we do not have half of the over heating issues. This may be why Yamaha has the heat exchanger and tunnel design the way it is. For my riding it works for me.

Also those in favor of the Cat merger go to HCS and read a bit on the new Turbo. Not just belt issues but snapped Jackshafts, reverse gear issues,cracked TCL's gears and chains breaking and the latest is the bolts sheering in the secondary causing extensive damage to the clutch. Suzuki engine is great and suspension/chassis is great also but the clutches gears and shafts sound very problematic even on the '13.

It's too bad as I test rode a Turbo and was about to pull the trigger but not after I read for a bit. Also my dealer is Yam/CAt that are usually up on things and have heard nothing of any merger.

Murse said:
Are the doo's not having over heating issues? I ride with all doo's and anytime we touch roads which in Ontario we often do " follow road to trail........." there is so much steam and smoke coming off the back of the doo's and they over heat and go into protection mode which means engines dies after 40mph. ANNOYING but necessary to not blow motor apart. I ride my Apex and a friend of mine rides a Phazer in the same conditions and we do not have half of the over heating issues. This may be why Yamaha has the heat exchanger and tunnel design the way it is. For my riding it works for me.

You are correct. In Wyoming we rented 800 doos and on the teIl they overheated like crazy. My buddy rides a 2009 1200 x package and he had to add a front radiator kit to his also. On marginal days he had issues. Easy to claim the lightest sled when you leave half the stuff off the sled lol

Back