• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Suckur said:
Rear exiting exhaust is the most ridiculous idea ever to grace snowmobiling. I'd like to meet the engineer that didn't realize snow melts when it meets a heat source and re-freezes when it meets cold aluminum! Lol
Nope your wrong.Paying 17000 grand for a new two-stroke sled in this day and age to have it last no longer than a few seasons is the most ridiculous idea to ever grace snowmobiling(along with the heated seat from cat :exc: ).Thats not progress,thats highway robbery :tg: .

low slung said:
Suckur said:
Rear exiting exhaust is the most ridiculous idea ever to grace snowmobiling. I'd like to meet the engineer that didn't realize snow melts when it meets a heat source and re-freezes when it meets cold aluminum! Lol
Nope your wrong.Paying 17000 grand for a new two-stroke sled in this day and age to have it last no longer than a few seasons is the most ridiculous idea to ever grace snowmobiling(along with the heated seat from cat :exc: ).Thats not progress,thats highway robbery :tg: .
A few seasons..must not ride much..they only go for 700 to maybe 1500 miles...lol....lmaf .........

Sled Dog said:
Ok here is my prediction and its out of the box as well. Yamaha has taken the four stroke engine and flipped it around in the chassis so that now the two clutches are on the right side of the sled. The engine still spins the exact same direction it did while the clutches were on the left side and the secondary and primary still run the same way even the belt still runs the same way. The power transfers through to the left side which is now the chaincase hopefully belts now and drives the track from the left side instead of the right. The sled now has front exiting exhaust and the seat rear now has more room for storage and the suspension now does not get 50 lbs of ice on it. Its called the XEPA which is APEX backwards. This will work unless I am missing something.

:o| Or you could just design the head backwards so that the intake ports are at the rear like every other snowmobile...

Rick Rolled by Yamaha (lyrics explained)
Oooh =2014

We're no strangers to love = We all love our Yamaha's deep down
You know the rules and so do I = Yamaha can't steal patent idea's
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of = 2014 all or nothing, ya know what I mean?
You wouldn't get this from any other guy = Yea everyone else has awesome new stuff

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling = What we really think of Yamaha lately
Gotta make you understand = Like yesterday, getting sick of the sea of yellow on the trails

Never gonna give you up = How I feel about Yamaha
Never gonna let you down = Thats the truth right there
Never gonna run around and desert you = I don't know about this! Seeing a lot of people falling off the wagon!
Never gonna make you cry = I think I might see a few people cry if there is nothing new for 2014!
Never gonna say goodbye =Those wagon jumpers will be back!
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you = How Ski-doo treats their customers.

We've known each other for so long = Ive been riding Yamaha's for 14 years!
Your heart's been aching, but = Where the heck is the snow!
You're too shy to say it = Chris Reid won't tell us anything.
Inside, we both know what's been going on = We're being played with BNG!
We know the game and we're gonna play it = We're gonna speculate and get NOTHING!

Well that was fun.

I like the rear exhaust too, but I am getting tired of having my hammer and chisel on hand at camp pounding out solid ice from under the tunnel and skid. I am sure I remove at least 50lbs of ice every morning. The suspension actually sags when sitting there on its own.

The RXM with the Cat suspension is actually quite clear for some reason. The skid doesn't have snow build up and there is no where near as much ice built up under the tunnel. That may change when I install an under tunnel exhaust in the future.

With all this build up of whats coming I hope Yamaha blows us away. They have many times so I'm hoping this is one of them. I will be attending the snowmobile dealer show in March but I'm sure I'll hear much on the new sled/sleds soon on here. Looking forward to good news.

Rear exhaust is really cool. Titanium headers not so much...

I can see the point of the rear exhaust being an issue. This is the first year that I have been able to pull my sled into a heated garage after riding and the ice build-up hasnt been an issue. Prior to this, my friends would joke that I would hatch ice turtles with my sled when the buildup would let loose.

Something tells me the R&D department at yamaha was always able to pull sleds into heated spaces after every test ride, and never even knew of teh build-up issue until real world riders complained about it.

having said that, I still think the dual rear exhaust is pretty damned sweet

I love the rear exhaust, that motor had me sold in 2003 with my first RX1. I can live with some ice but must be really bad in the deep snowy mountains?
NO predictions from me as I was so dissapointed to here the SRX is now a little kids sled..... how could they reuin that name?
My Apex works for what I use a sled for: Trail riding, breaking out logging roads, and hauling a.. on lakes and towing cats and Doo's home!
new release in Feb? we will see. :yam:

DigitalFusion said:
This is the first year that I have been able to pull my sled into a heated garage after riding and the ice build-up hasnt been an issue.

I've been fortunate enough to have been able to pull my Yamaha's into my heated shop to thaw them out after every ride. The stud protectors increase the amount of ice held in the tunnel. If a guy never plans to run studs I'd recommend removing them just to reduce the amount of ice. However, a guy will have to be aware that it could potentially hurt his resale as the protectors were tack welded to the front of the tunnel on my '05 Vector. I left them in place on my Nytro since I ran studs.

Every liquid cooled sled I've ever owned that used under tunnel heat changers did create some ice in certain conditions. Occasionally you'd hear it drop off and get ground up by the track. For some reason the rear exit exhaust creates way more ice than a sled with no rear exhaust. My guess is the combination of the hot exhaust melting lots of snow and then NOT having any tunnel mounted heat exchangers putting heat into the surrounding tunnel surfaces, the Yamaha design allows much more ice to form. I've been watching the temp gauge on my RMK and the engine runs at 125-135 degrees most of the time. The highest I've seen is 150-155 when riding on a road. Figure the coolant in the tunnel would be even cooler. The rear exit exhaust would be running much, much hotter. I'm sure in certain conditions steam is created under the tunnel and maybe this is why ice is so prevalent? This is the first time I've really thought about it. If the exhaust could be run above the tunnel and shrouded, the ice build up should be greatly if not completely reduced. I can't see there being a patent on tunnel mounted heat exchangers so if they did that, it would reduce the running weight of a Yamaha significantly yet still keep the motor leaned back towards the rider.

I know there were times when I'd bring either of my Yamahas into my shop to thaw out after a ride and I'd about bust a nut picking the back end up to set the track on a dolly. The amount of weight added by ice was significant.

So something else to consider in terms of the Cat and Yam combo. Where does Cat excel that Yam hasn't and it's also something that many Cat riders hold near and dear? Racing, specifically sno cross. Tucker needs something to ride, so if they get Yamaha motors, what's in the sno cross sled? Also, when you really consider the innovation sleds have seen in the last 20 or so years, what's left? Front end geometry, super-turbo, the clutches? Maybe a new motor, twin tracks, collision avoidance warning? And to clarify my racing statement that yammi hasn't excelled, I am fully aware of their racing history, I meant specifically snow, cross which seems to drive at least some of cats innovations and I don't see them bailing out on that anytime soon...regardless of whether you think snow cross is dead or stupid or not life like. The sno pro packages and the ZX packages don't sell because it looks like a trail sled. I'll be very surprised if whatever gets released is " earth shattering, game changing, whatever".

Back