• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

couch said:
PureBlue said:
http://youtu.be/gvli-uU8NTw

Here is a video of the new Honda with this system. It could work well on a sled.

Definitely something of interest ... better / more efficient power transmission means that a smaller engine will still put more hp to the track than a larger engine .... plus less rotating mass!

And to add, you would be able to position the motor where you want it, not where it fits with CVT. With a CVT, you need the gap between primary and secondary which makes it tuff to keep motor mass center of chassis. The new Viper has the front exhaust, which means the triple is backwards in the chassis. The engine oil system is supposedly combined with the drive system. Gotta read between the lines :Rockon:
Gonna have to change our way of thinking. If we can get 90hp at the track with 130 engine hp, we're ahead of the competition big bores.

Dan

CONTEST

I say we have a contest here for the First Picture posted here of the new sled on Thursday @1600 CST , no pictures would be valid until the Embargo is lifted on Thursday at The Hilton also no pictures either from Vendors or Dealers , I would be game to throw in a couple bucks or buy some gear with it in a pot.

How about that Tom and crew any takers.

If not I will send someone from the USA a fresh Twenty on my own , just PM me with your address after the picture posts.

B

i wish it wasnt 4-8. Traffic downtown is horrid between 3-6. driving down there at 7 or 8 is kinda tough on a 'school' night.

timebomb said:
Since the letters S and R are used in their new trade mark, maybe a new SR....X in the future. Probably replace the apex by then. For now I would assume big changes in the Nytro and phazer department. BNG for apex,vector and venture.
SR=snow racer..........

sheetwright said:
journeyman said:
sheetwright said:
Now the question is if doo releases their 160-180hp sled like the rumors are saying, can yamaha sway as many young and new riders to increase sales?

Will there be an uproar because the linear, great sounding, just go forever apex is gone?

Will people switch to a new brand or hoard today's models because they will have a half breed sled and not 100% yamaha? Even though yamaha's suspensions are a little dated now.

Will the manufacturing of yamaha parts by cat offset the sales cat will lose to yamaha because they now will have the highest hp sled on the market with a range of 470lbs only?

So what are the rumors on this theory? A two stroke or a 4 stroke?

They are bumping up their four stoke. The motor was always made for bigger power, but the drive components they had at the time couldn't handle it

Correct me if I am wrong because I am no expert on the 1200 4 tek, but one of the shops in the MPLS area that has done alot of turbos and super chargers said you have to be careful with the 1200 by not putting too much boost to it. He said it will not handle as much as an Apex motor can without doing some motorwork. That is just what he told me. He said the 1200 is a lighter built motor than the Yamaha motor. hmmmm.....

Also this guy used to ride Yamaha but is now a Doo rider ..........so he tends to be honest and unbiased on his opinions.

I dont think the 4 cy is going away. It makes big power and is only slightly heavier than the 3 cy. It can also increase in power without a turbo by continuing to incorporate changes from the R1 motor.

sledhead23 said:
If anyone wants to read up on yamaha and online hsd system and its benefits go here. It's about there bikes but very informative. Also the entire system is only 17.6 lbs that would be a huge drop in weight. http://www.ohlins.com/Checkpoint-Ohlins ... tual-Gain/
This system handles 25kws, so it needs to be quite a bigger system, very interesting fead thou,, so is the mechatronics system seems possible the nytro has ttx shocks cant imagine what the cost would be

Its the track itself thats robs the most power not the CVT and chaincase.

Dano said:
couch said:
PureBlue said:
http://youtu.be/gvli-uU8NTw

Here is a video of the new Honda with this system. It could work well on a sled.

Definitely something of interest ... better / more efficient power transmission means that a smaller engine will still put more hp to the track than a larger engine .... plus less rotating mass!

And to add, you would be able to position the motor where you want it, not where it fits with CVT. With a CVT, you need the gap between primary and secondary which makes it tuff to keep motor mass center of chassis. The new Viper has the front exhaust, which means the triple is backwards in the chassis. The engine oil system is supposedly combined with the drive system. Gotta read between the lines :Rockon:
Gonna have to change our way of thinking. If we can get 90hp at the track with 130 engine hp, we're ahead of the competition big bores.

Dan

How about this wild idea, and engine block that it integrated with the bulkhead into one unit. That would definately save weight, be very strong, but suck if you smacked a tree and ripped and a-arm off the "engine".

Ya that system can only handle 33.5 hp, but you could easily take that idea and create a stronger system probably without adding a ton of additional weight. Yamaha and ohlins have been working on this since the early 90's and have proven huge gains in the motorcycle industry and have a perfected system, ohlins said they have a great system it's just upto the manufacturers to start producing it mainstream.

Can we (i hope) rule out Yamaha licensing Cat's diamond drive? (Can you say Diamondback!)

The hp loss is not from the cvt friction, it is the insane amount of bearings, chain, gears, oil, wheels, slides, track tension, and the forces to accellerate all of this up to speed, that speed is causing more friction as it increases. Sleds are a friction machine, for that reason, they have been using cvt for so long because it is the most user friendly way to counteract that friction machine.

I still can not believe no one has used a privario clutch.
Now that they are getting automatics more compact, more efficient etc. I could see them being introduced. I don't think they would ever be viable on a 2 stroke as the power band would require so many gears, they would be too expensive and heavy, but a 4 stroke with it's wide torque band is viable. Not sure how much more the gain would be as most of the loss is within all the other stuff along the way.

I have not in all my reading ever found any trials on an all inclusive drive system. As in, everything contained within the suspension. It would cause alot of sprung weight but I cant believe that couldn't be over come with good shocks. of course, this part would have to handled by some other company than yamaha.

Back