• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 RTX-SE stalling

mine would not idle at all. from what I understand, it's like the throttle position sensor on the 2 strokes where if it senses the throttle might be stuck open, it cuts the engine - i.e. water in the cable freezing overnight and first time you hit the throttle the cable stays out at wide open throttle. I had this happen about 10 years ago on my polaris 800 and the first time it happens and you aren't ready, you better be holding on and hit the kill switch !!! it happened for the next day or so and I happened to be in quebec then also. it might have been carbs freezing over also but I couldn't find any red bottle ethanol, only that worthless yellow bottle stuff they sell in Canada which didn't work. was offering other US riders $10 if they had a bottle of the red but couldn't find any.

but anyway, I hammered it yesterday all day and never stalled once. it has the erratic idle others have mentioned which I don't really mind cause doesnt affect anything. I had to deal with the hard starting all last year which was real annoying and actually cost yamaha several sales as my skidoo buddies who were very interested in getting a viper changed their mind when they saw the hard starting. I had visions of "...here we go again...gonna have to wait a year for another ecu reflash to cure this stalling...." !!! Also it was dangerous. Had vision of starting to cross road and stalling and getting taken out by a tanker truck ! ....or coming down a icy steep hill and losing power which is always fun !! ...or the time I came around a corner and someone coming at me in middle of trail so I lock up brakes which killed engine and my #*$&@ end was sideways in trail and no throttle to correct.... !!!! I would take the hard starting annoyance over the dangerous all the time pain in the #*$&@ dangerous stalling any day lol !!

...and Genius, I believe you mentioned when you let off, it feels like it wants to throw you off sled. This MAY be same issue as mine cause I noticed that too, especially in sharp corners when I let off and got back on it, it felt that way and for me in hindsight, I think it was trying to cut out just like at idle. I think the common thread is letting completely off the throttle and getting back on it. I didn't notice that yesterday but the trails were soft for first time in a while so maybe it will do it on hard trails when gets cold again ??

...and TD Max, not sure if too tight or too loose throttle cable ? I believe it was too loose. I even told them of the issue last year but they lumped it into the ECU reflash so I didn't pursue it. Had brain skip this year and didn't even think to look at throttle cable adjust after reflash. just took it back and had them look at it. But you could be right, too tight probably cut it out too.

Good info guys, I hope Jason reads this and passes it along to his dealer also...

Turns out i was exactly that!! Just got back from the shop, throttle cable was too tight so when i slowed down the cable was moving at a different rate then the actual throttle. Which was kicking in the tors switch. As far as the no starting, haven't had an issue yet but i know if you keep cranking it over and over without giving it some time in between you are sure to strip your idler gear.

Jason, I'm so glad to hear that! Did you watch them fix it?

No, unfortunately i was at work, but they didn't charge me for it , warranty thing i guess!!

I was lucky, the dealer by me owns a huge field next door so they were able to take it around the field until it stalled so the mechanic new exactly what the cause was. Good thing it was a royal pain in the a$$ too . Anything as simple as a handle bar adjustment can cause this apparently.

The throttle cables are plenty snug on some of these and if too tight the throttle kill switch can activate
That's right, what i suspect here is throttle cable being to loose or tight ...throttle freeplay should be adressed here before anything else, had the same issue on a few units and it turned out to be the TORS shutting them down.

Not sure exact procedure but I use a credit card between throttle and throttle block. With slight tension on throttle you should be able to slide the card between them. I also make sure that the ZipTie holding the adjuster on the riser is not tight. It should just position the adjuster not keep it tight to riser. Lastly turn bars lock to lock and card test should be same.

I've been having the same issue ever since the reflash. But now I'm thinking it might be the TORS switch. I tried coming to a stop with my thumb completely of the throttle and it seemed to be better. It seemed like if i kept my thumb on the throttle and just wiggled it a little bit it would kill. Happened to me 3 times this past weekend. Just seems strange that it never happened before the reflash

I would think this is fairly easy to do?
I'd rather not make the trip back to the dealer..anyone got more info how to do it?
Thanks!

I would think this is fairly easy to do?
I'd rather not make the trip back to the dealer..anyone got more info how to do it?
Thanks!

The simple way is to peel back the rubber boot that covers the turnbuckle at the riser. Loosen the jamb nut and shorten (lessen the exposed threads) just a bit.

Key on engine off Push and hold both lower buttons on the gauge pod. This enters diagnostic mode. Scroll until you find TPS. Check to be sure that you are achieving 100% or close to it.

Reactions: 333
TD Max Thank You!! I may not get to it until Friday but I can handle that. Which button to scroll with or will it be obvious?
TD, your time & knowledge is appreciated !
I'm gettin excited, I may have a sled that runs right soon...

Back