• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 Viper Adjustments

Joe9512

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper RTX DX
I just picked up a 2015 Viper RTX-DX with 118mi on it. Ive been browsing through the forums to see what the general consensus is and I've noticed the common debate of skis/carbide changes, and also making some suspension adjustments to eliminate pushing through corners. Just wondering what people thought after last year? Ideally I would like to keep the stock skis with the best carbide set up. I primarily ride trails so I'm looking for a set up with that in mind.

I just picked up a 2015 Viper RTX-DX with 118mi on it. Ive been browsing through the forums to see what the general consensus is and I've noticed the common debate of skis/carbide changes, and also making some suspension adjustments to eliminate pushing through corners. Just wondering what people thought after last year? Ideally I would like to keep the stock skis with the best carbide set up. I primarily ride trails so I'm looking for a set up with that in mind.

Black and grey viper that was for sale in holland patent?

I only managed 3 trips on my viper at the end of last season. I found that one notch tighter on the limiter straps helped with push tremendously. You won't be popping those skis anymore with this mod without more power. I still had some push, but was told my several people to try 6" carbide in the inside and 0-3" outside. I found the push acceptable with only the limiter strap adjustment. If you ride super aggressive, you may not like it judging by some of the others on this forum. The way I ride, I just adjust for conditions, carry more speed into the corner, use the engine breaking, and get on it as the sled comes out of the corner. If you try to keep positive throttle in the corner, you will experience a bit of push on loose snow. The first time I tried running hard without adjusting the limiter strap, I had a pucker moment without being too aggressive... Strap made a great improvement!

That's the one

Beautiful sled, congrats on getting it. From everything I've heard and from the Ltx dx I've ridden, the dx models right out of the box are awesome as far as suspension, just a all around trail friendly sled. Only ridden a sled with tuners for about 2 miles, some like them some hate them, if you compare them to a set of curve skis (just an example, I've only ridden curve skis on the procross chassis and nothing else) the curves or aftermarket skis will outperform the tuners in every aspect. I love the curves as they bite hard yet they don't seem to have any added steering effort from my experience.

I only managed 3 trips on my viper at the end of last season. I found that one notch tighter on the limiter straps helped with push tremendously. You won't be popping those skis anymore with this mod without more power. I still had some push, but was told my several people to try 6" carbide in the inside and 0-3" outside. I found the push acceptable with only the limiter strap adjustment. If you ride super aggressive, you may not like it judging by some of the others on this forum. The way I ride, I just adjust for conditions, carry more speed into the corner, use the engine breaking, and get on it as the sled comes out of the corner. If you try to keep positive throttle in the corner, you will experience a bit of push on loose snow. The first time I tried running hard without adjusting the limiter strap, I had a pucker moment without being too aggressive... Strap made a great improvement!
Thanks for the tip. I'll start with moving the stock 3" to the outside and put 6" on the inside, along with the limiter strap adjustment.

Beautiful sled, congrats on getting it. From everything I've heard and from the Ltx dx I've ridden, the dx models right out of the box are awesome as far as suspension, just a all around trail friendly sled. Only ridden a sled with tuners for about 2 miles, some like them some hate them, if you compare them to a set of curve skis (just an example, I've only ridden curve skis on the procross chassis and nothing else) the curves or aftermarket skis will outperform the tuners in every aspect. I love the curves as they bite hard yet they don't seem to have any added steering effort from my experience.
I've been lookin at the C&A RZ because I know they will not disappoint but I'm gonna try a different carbide set up on the tuners first.

Great sled! Same one here and racked-up just over 1000 miles last year on this particular sled. I think I put standard round bars with 6" carbide on outside and 4" on the inside. While temps where very cold last winter and trails were hard, this sled/skis railed corners but as temps warmed up that went away with the softer snow and they pushed (a lot) but either scenario, they didn't dart. I messed with all its adjustments but ended up back to how it came from the factory. This sled absolutely rocks for trail riding but skis need to be a little better for aggressive riding.

I have the 6 inch inside and OEM outside and it was great on packed snow or trail, as one would expect pushes in deep snow more than a deep center keel ski. But since I am a trail rider perfect for me.
I love my yamacat viper, AC handling and Yamaha drive train reliability, just what I hoped for. Most popular sled in our family stable- 2 vector GTs short and long, Venture GT and traded the 06 APEX toward the viper.
Yamadoo

One thing I noticed none of you mentioned is the coupler blocks. Stock they are on 1 which is the least coupling. Going to 2 or even 3 will help keep the front down for cornering.

Agree with Cannondale. Put on the Racewerx easy adjust coupler and tried all positions. I actually prefer 3rd setting. Read all the posts on carbides and since I ride aggressive trail style, went with 7.5" and 7.5" inside and outside. Works great and is not at all heavy on the steering. No push.

I have the exact same sled, congrats your going to love it. I also ride trails 99%. My self I put the transfer block to full transfer ( thickest part towards the rear ) pulled my limeter strap tighter 2- holes and run stud boy square shaper bar 7.5" inside and 6" on the outside. Centre shock in skid can also help plant the skis. This at times early morning the sled can be little tippy but as soon as the trail loosens up it rails pretty good. But ride it first make one adjustment at a time because we all ride diffrent. And gauranteed if u have questions about what does what just ask on this site and it'll be answered.
:rocks:

Thanks for all the pointers, I appreciate it. I'll play with all these adjustments and see what works best for me. I'm starting with a pair of 6" shapers that I'll put on the inside and move the 3" to the outside and go from there. I also ordered a HID headlight from Rock

OEM Bars =trash at least you'll have one real one in the mix. Mine were completely worn down to the skis after 270 miles literally paper thin. I didn't listen to advice on here finding it hard to believe carbides could be gone in such a short period of time. My advice throw them out and use real carbides.

OEM Bars =trash at least you'll have one real one in the mix. Mine were completely worn down to the skis after 270 miles literally paper thin. I didn't listen to advice on here finding it hard to believe carbides could be gone in such a short period of time. My advice throw them out and use real carbides.
Good to know, thanks. I'll get just get another pair to avoid the headache.

Back