• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 Viper Chain Tension

shesnowdevil

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper
Hello! I am new to the forum and hope someone can help me out.

I have a 2015 Viper that will need it's first service soon. I know chain tension is one of the items checked.
The dealers I have talked to said the chain is hand tightened then backed off a quarter turn however, the 2015 manual says back off one and a half turns.

I'm really confused. I know the 2014 manual said quarter turn but the 2015 says one and a half turns.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Yes , 1 1/2 turns out if to tight you will wear out the bushing in top gear and have a chain case failure , the tenssioner has a spring in it to keep pressure on chain

I have a 14 xtx se and went by the manual 1/4 turn out and you guessed it chaincase failure at 3300km. dealer wanted to know why I adjusted it so tight. You are right Yamaha knows who has the vipers with the faulty info, they should send an ammendment to the owners manual, only takes 1 sheet of paper and an envelope, sure to be cheaper than warranty rebuild of chaincase, or are the affected machines out of warranty and now they are making money on the parts and dealers on the labour, mine disinigrated with 2 days left on pathetic 1 year warranty. In Canada the YPP extended warranty states that chain, gears and bearings are not covered.

I will attest that a tight chain will ruin top chain case bearing.....

tmp_30354-Screenshot_2015-03-15-14-22-18-1-132673709.png

Now I don't want to open a can of worms but how does one figure "finger tight"? That can be a wide spread depends on your finger strength, so to speak. Does that mean when the roller starts to touch the chain?

Sure wish they would have gone with a Yamaha chaincase on these.

I was really disappointed when I bought mine and saw that it had an Arctic Cat chaincase. Yamaha is famous for the reliability of their chaincases. I can't imagine why they went with the Arctic Cat rather than the Yamaha.

Sure wish they would have gone with a Yamaha chaincase on these.

I was really disappointed when I bought mine and saw that it had an Arctic Cat chaincase. Yamaha is famous for the reliability of their chaincases. I can't imagine why they went with the Arctic Cat rather than the Yamaha.
Tks for chiming in. Well I can't do anything about that now. Was wondering if finger tight is as tight as I can turn the bolt by hand, etc?

Back