• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 vs 2016 MTX rear skid difference

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 viper mtx
Watching a review of the 2016 viper mtx, it says the rear skid has been updated to cure the track being over tightened during compression. I went and looked at a parts diagram and see there is different part numbers on the rear skid arms and shafts from 2015 to 2016. Anyone know if you can just swap the shafts/etc from the 2016 to the 2015?

The rails are different also. Not 100% sure on all the differences between the two rails, but I do know that the "hump" in the rail where the front arm attaches is higher/taller. This effectively moves the mounting point up and I assume would require a different length arm.

I did this swap on my 2015 153 viper. I used the updated 153 rails and relay rod from 17 BTX and this helps the track tension problem quite a bit. The arms are the same. Your dealer will have a bulletin on the upgraded parts. Another upgrade I loved was taken the rear fox out and installing a standard shock and coil over from a standard model. I know some of you will say it's a down grade but for off trail its the way to go. Provides the ride hight you want and yet remain soft. that's hard to do with the fox.

Part number for the rails from 2015 to 2016 are the same. Rear arm pivot and rod relay are both different part numbers from 2015 to 2016. Looks like you could buy the the rear pivot arm and rod relay from a 2016 and install it in the 2015.

4317_150.jpg

Interesting, Yamaha must have made the rail change in 2017, while Cat made the change in 2016.
The Silver and Green rails are 2015 Cat rails, while the Black one is a 2016 rail.
(Credit for the photo goes to Christopher on SW)

Back