• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 sidewinder chaincase problem after 45 miles of riding

I was at my dealer last week and they had a 18 there with 107 miles. The chaincase oil sight plug was installed backwards so it popped
inwards ending up inside the chaincase. Lost all the lube and was a pile of burnt parts.

I was at my dealer last week and they had a 18 there with 107 miles. The chaincase oil sight plug was installed backwards so it popped
inwards ending up inside the chaincase. Lost all the lube and was a pile of burnt parts.
Interesting I look forward to finding out what happened when I finally get it off the lake!

Interesting I look forward to finding out what happened when I finally get it off the lake!

Put a plastic sled under the track and it will tow easy. Just don’t go very fast as you won’t have brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year 90 mi on machine I backed (reversed) into a park spot at a lunch spot up in Newberry shut sled off (in reverse), finished lunch headed out all was well, cruising 40-50 about 2-3miles out thought it was the belt freaked out as it wasn't!! free spin secondary said oh-boy! Cycled the actuator fwd/reverse all was good never happened again.
IMO never back into a spot without cycling back into forward and move forward a little so gears can align properly, when sled is shut down and restarted it will automatically start out in fwd but kinda just in a float gears not fully aligned/seated properly.

Last year 90 mi on machine I backed (reversed) into a park spot at a lunch spot up in Newberry shut sled off (in reverse), finished lunch headed out all was well, cruising 40-50 about 2-3miles out thought it was the belt freaked out as it wasn't!! free spin secondary said oh-boy! Cycled the actuator fwd/reverse all was good never happened again.
IMO never back into a spot without cycling back into forward and move forward a little so gears can align properly, when sled is shut down and restarted it will automatically start out in fwd but kinda just in a float gears not fully aligned/seated properly.
Interesting I never tried cycling the fwd/rev. Good to know for the future tho thanks!

2018 Sidewinder B-TX 400 miles!

Riding today went good in the County... 130 miles... UNTIL............

A sudden deceleration and no movement..... appears my chaincase sight glass popped out sometime today(was def. full the morning) draining all the fluid and causing my wonderful weekend to end in dismay...

Love the winder... hate that we started off this way!

A local named Ken who owns a local motel happened to come across me and towed me back to restaurant parking... called the local dealer and set me up for what I hope is a successful emergency surgery tomorrow morning... county folks are top notch I just hope I can salvage a trip!

Brutal I hope you can get all tuned up! Hope Yamaha sees all these chaincase and gear repairs there dealers are doing and fixes the problem at the source!

2018 Sidewinder B-TX 400 miles!

Riding today went good in the County... 130 miles... UNTIL............

A sudden deceleration and no movement..... appears my chaincase sight glass popped out sometime today(was def. full the morning) draining all the fluid and causing my wonderful weekend to end in dismay...

Love the winder... hate that we started off this way!

A local named Ken who owns a local motel happened to come across me and towed me back to restaurant parking... called the local dealer and set me up for what I hope is a successful emergency surgery tomorrow morning... county folks are top notch I just hope I can salvage a trip!
Sorry for your misfortune. Gary's or Rodger's, let us all know how you made out.

LOL!!! It ain't funny for the person, but dam, cats never dissapoint! Unfortunately...

Funny you say that....I've been cautious with reverse since my first 98 mach z with it...I always put it back in forward and moved forward a bit to make sure
I back in the sleds into a barn, (rx1's, vectors, apex's,nytro's, 600 doo with electronic reverse) or the garage, and always put it in forward and move a little just to make sure. I back the sw in, put it in forward, and drive a few feet. Just habit now.

no dealer was able to help me out... I traveled 400 miles back home and made the walk of shame into the dealer.....

I stopped at 3 dealers on way home.... 2/3 of them said they were currently working on sidewinders with similar issue... it was their opinion that the tensioner is backing itself out and falling into bellypan... then the oil is slung out the hole and then when pieces start flying it knocks sight glass out....

I will be interested to know if my adjuster is out.... and if the glass is found inside the case!

Anyway big waste of a trip for me... YAMAHA better make it right... I heard if I had the premium extended warranty they would reimburse me for the trouble... but guess what I don't have!

Just had this same chaincase issue March 23. Driving across a lake at 40mph and hear a sound just go poink! Thought the belt was gone but nope,chaincase. Would go in reverse but not forward. 50 mile tow job!!! Sled went directly to my dealer. Just talked to them today as I would like my sled to ride. Chaincase is trashed. Gears are stripped!! Of course needs an entire chaincase and of course, backorder. Obviously they are having many issues like this!!! 1200 miles on my sled since January. On my 5th belt! All shock bushings worn out on front shocks!! I have 2 2010 nytos, one a 200+ turbo and one a 250+ supercharger. Both 4000 plus miles. Zero chaincase issues. Wishing I would not have bought this blue paperweight!!!!! Come on Yamaha. Geez!!!!

Back