• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 sidewinder chaincase problem after 45 miles of riding

My dealer took care of me... the parts were hard to get but they end up taking them off a showroom sled... I suggest the same... if you havnt given he dealer a chance maybe suggest that... I went through as you know a complete failure as well... BUT MY DEALER DID RIGHT THING!

As far as your belts I've heard of people havin issues... I bought a p
Spare with my 2018 winder BTX.... I put 2500 miles on all of them were spent either brutally attacking deep snow or back country... or proving my dominance on he trail o all those 850 and POO lovers... either way I still have both belts both of which have same mileage... and not a problem... you most likely have a 2017 I'm guessing and should look into the updated parts maybe as the 2018 sleds were suppose to have updated components!

I'm interested to know the cause.... ask them details.. if they treat you like a moron then find a new dealer, they should be able to tell you if the tensioner backed out... or if like mine the actuator was way out of adjustment and was basically never putting sled fully Into ear forward or reverse...

It's hard I was stressed and breakdowns never are fun... but when you pass em it's worth it

2018 special spring order. I have a very good dealer I have dealt with all my life so no concern there. Once i get my sled back i will get the full details for sure. I do drive the hell out of this sled but also did/do on my nytos with very little belt issues. I do believe first belt went because of oil dripping from Airbox. Leaked after rolling it out in the mnts. Second belt then really didn't get broke in properly. My dealer is checking clutches as well at this moment. Time will tell but so far,not to impressed with overall quality for a 20000 $ machine

Just for the record it say's newbie under my handle. Only on this forum. Turning 50 next week and been riding sleds since I could walk. Lol

Ok... keep us posted...

You do sound like an educated guy... do you Clean your clutch surfaces? Do you use anything other then hot water and dawn with a scotchrite pad?

• I've cleaned clutches twice in 2500 miles with nothing more then two quick scrub downs...

• deflection is alttle loose (belt rides slightly below or flush with secondary surfaces....

• clean every new belt you have using hot water/ dawn dish soap bath and scrub with scotchbrite pad

• check rollers and such for flat spots

• also heard of some issues with coil bind... not sure which clutch... but check into that as well

I'm always trying to keep anything and I mean anything liquid out of clutches other then on sheeves... (only attracts dust/dirt/belt dust) calso check your deflections.... the belt could be one washer out of adjustment and running two tight on primary... this may help performance minimally but will create hot spots and wear spots on belt... sometimes hard to see,,,, my belt runs little low in secondary but I havnt had any issues...

Good luck keep us posted

All shock bushings worn out on front shocks!!
How? I have 10k miles combined on 2 of these chassis and have never EVER changed a shock bushing!!!!!!
I smell B.S.

No bs here. The front shock bushings are done. Q3 shocks. My sleds are never driven on trails at home, only cross country. Only trails mine see are when we are accessing mountains. I never checked the rear skid shocks but sure wouldn't surprise me if those are gone to

That's odd about the shock bushings now I have to crack open a beer and do some detective work in the garage

Talked to my dealer today. Chain broke. Took out both sides of the chaincase and chipped all the gears. Bottom gear on backorder. They have no idea as to why the chain went. Chain tension had been checked at 800 miles. And yes, all bushings in the front shocks have been replaced on warranty. That's all I have for now. Bummer, as it's going to put down another 4" of snow Saturday.

that sucks

I’m quite hard on equipment and hope this sled can hold up...

Sure are fun when they working though!

kalvin - go troll someware else - SW hater - - waisted your slow gapex all day, next day - every day -... push the ga old sled off the cliff already = dinosaur junk

Last edited:

Back