• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 SW xtx 141 ride quality

rock doc

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder XTX SE. Previous 2011 Nytro xtx, 2016 Apex GT, 1998 Polaris Indy 600 xlt
I have searched the reviews in this sled. Seems there are concerns about the Fox 3 shocks. Most people seem to favor the 137 Ltx mainly because of the shocks .

I like the longer uncoupled 141 track but don't want a harsh riding sled. Approx 70% trailing ride but I really enjoy the option to plan in the deeper snow. Does the xtx ride poorly with the air shocks? I found a used 2018 xtx that I like, but would really appreciate some feedback before spending that kind of $$$$$

I have searched the reviews in this sled. Seems there are concerns about the Fox 3 shocks. Most people seem to favor the 137 Ltx mainly because of the shocks .

I like the longer uncoupled 141 track but don't want a harsh riding sled. Approx 70% trailing ride but I really enjoy the option to plan in the deeper snow. Does the xtx ride poorly with the air shocks? I found a used 2018 xtx that I like, but would really appreciate some feedback before spending that kind of $$$$$
I had an 18 xtx with floats. I liked the ride and transfer was fun, but almost excessive.
What I didn't like is that it would bottom too easily, so that's why I went to a 137.

The bottoming does not sound too good I weight 190ibs and tend to ride pretty quick. With all my Yamahas over the years I have struggled to balance the rear skid between bottoming and too harsh.

I was the same as you when i bought my Sidewinder XTX, i wanted the longer track with more lug height than a 137 and i wanted the transfer. I weigh 250 and did not have a bottoming problem, just have to go higher on air . I do like everything about the XTX except the shock package. they are middle of the road at best depending on your riding. if your on smooth trails they will do ok, if your mostly off trail they will do good. if you want smooth ride for stutter bump in the 6 to 12 inch size it needs some suspension upgrades. believe it the front shocks going to Fox QS3R's on XTX is huge. i believe this would be the best first upgrade along with a twisted center shock spring from Hygear. I did go with Hygear pro linkage for the rear it made the rear suspension more of a trail suspension and it is not very expensive if you get it without the float shock resivour. not worth putting any money into the floats. with the pro linkage you loose a little transfer but get better balance for trail riding. Bottom line seems you can make the XTX ride as good as you want by changing shocks and it transfers hard. the LTX unless you get an LE you end up with shocks that are ok like the XTX but the sled does poor on transfer. thats why i went with XTX.

That is great info. Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like a fun sled.

Do you need to drop the skid to install the hygear linkage kit?

Given that I was only 160lbs, I didn't think I should have to up the air pressure. It rode Ok, but bottomed harshly. I'm simply comparing stock to stock, 141 to 137, different suspensions.
I agree a coil over would have been better and I also looked at the hygear options. Decided to trade to an all around better package IMO.
I would like to try out the new 146 suspension, which as I understand it, is a combination of both. Maybe next year.

Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a new one so the 146 is not an option unless I wait a little longer. Looking to get a used SW with low mileage and keep it for at least 5 years. I currently run a nytro xtx that I ended upgrading just about everything to get to ride ok. Really don't want to do that again. Found a 2018 with 2800 miles on it. Seems like a great machine other than the Fox 3's. Not sure why they decided on this shock package, I am sure it has its advantages.

There are only two advantages to the fox float 3. Cheap and light weight. For the most part I consider them to be a terrible shock package. When I bought my 141 Viper I hardly need to ride it at all before I put $1000 in to the suspension. $300 for EVOL kits for the front shocks and $700 for a custom valved ZBroz X2 rear shock and 145# center spring upgrade. (I weigh 155#) A falling rate design like the 141”suspensions need sag to ride well. By the time you are soft enough to have several inches of sag you are probably too soft for the large bumps. EVOL’s will help quite a bit but are still not as good as a well calibrated coil over. Falling rate designs can work very well. The M-10 is a falling rate design, but when Fast designed the M-20 around air shocks instead of coil overs, the falling rate no longer worked and they had to change the geometry. I have never personally tried it but I am extremely skeptical of the Hygear set up for the 141. I believe it takes way the positive off-trail attributes of the suspension. For me I would consider it to be a waste of money and a band-aid to the real problem.

My rear shock has 20 clicks of compression and rebound adjustment. By comparison a $100 cheaper Fox QS3 has 3 compression adjustments and nothing for rebound.

Once I took the time to get it dialed in I have been extremely pleased with the performance of my sleds suspension.(How often have you heard that from others with this suspension?) I can fine-tune the compression and rebound up or down a few clicks depending on how the trails are and how hard we are riding on any given day.

With properly set up EVOL’s on the front shocks the front end works well when ridden hard. The faster I ride the more impressed I am with it. However, I doubt if it’s as good as coil overs at a more leisurely pace. This was a cost saving compromise on my part.

The 141" uncoupled xtx with the fox floats does not ride very well compared to the shorter track models, knowing this and being in the market for a sidewinder, I picked up a used 19 xtx le with the qs3 shock's and all I can say is that it rides and handles unbelievably so far, I ride a mix of groomed trail, ruff trail and some ditch banging/ boon docking.

Appreciate all the information. Sure makes this a difficult decision. Seems like most people favour the 137 because of the shocks. I have owned an Apex and Nytro xtx. I ended up replacing or modifying the rear skid on both machines. Eventually ended up basically modifying just about everything. Don't want to get into those types of mods again.

That is great info. Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like a fun sled.

Do you need to drop the skid to install the hygear linkage kit?
you can do the job with the skid in but it is only 4 bolts to take the skid out and much easier to install with the skid on the bench. the Pro linkage is only a few hundred bucks and does give you a better trail ride, i can tell you this first hand because i rode my sled stock for 800 miles adjusting the floats every way to the moon then put in the linkage. i went with the dual presure deal and i did it on 2 sleds my Sidewinder XTX and my girlfriends 17 viper XTX. i wasted money on 2 sleds with trying to make the floats better with the dual presure. put money toward better shock. my first sidewinder was a 17 LTX SE and the shock package on that was not much better than the floats, a little better but if you dont have the LE and are picky about your suspension you are going to be in the market for better shocks only in the end with the XTX you will have a sled that transfers. On the GF viper she ran it with dual presure the first year on the pro linkage then i bought from hygear a fox 1.5 zero coil shock for her last year, had it valved for her weight which is only 125lbs. she thought the float was ok til i put the 1.5 fox on she now loves the ride and cant believe the difference. i also have 1.5 qs3's on the front of her sled that i bought from a Cat 600 had had them valved. the rear shock from Hygear was $400 bucks and i bought the fronts used for a good price so i dont have a ton of money in the viper XTX suspension. On my sidewinder XTX i have QS3R's 2.0 on the front and Custom Axis on the rear and overall it works very well. again you dont have to upgrade everything at once, a little at a time is not as hard on the pocket. Living in Pa i dont have snow to ride from home and we tow many hours to ride so our typical day riding is 250 - 350 miles per day so i can appreciate a good suspension. just trying to let you know what worked for me and where i wasted money so you dont have to.

I have a 2016 Viper XTX, and I added Hygear chambers to the front Float 3’s, which was inexpensive and a huge improvement. I replaced the rear shocks with Fox QS3’s and have been very happy; it is a great trail sled and didn’t lose its off-trail capability. The newer XTX’s all came with the Fox QS3’s, and I assume that there was a reason that Yamaha made the switch!

Back