• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 Winder Idler Wheels

I made a cutter that sticks through the stud hole and trims the silent bumps off.
No doubt those new wheels are hollow junk.
Get some billet aluminum wheels and don’t worry about it any more, worth the cost in the long run and they look good.
Yup, I did the same thing. Heads are flush to the track on the inside.

Attachments

• Studding1.jpg
    Studding1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 226

5100kms on the same pair of sliders which are paper thin... is it possible with them being worn right down that there is a lot more contact between the track and wheels? Thus if i were to have a hard hit in a whooped out trail, that would stress them more and cause the breakage?

Also wondering if i need to put a better front skid shock spring in it and maybe stiffer torsion springs. I had some hard hits last year and bottomed out pretty good.

A thinner slider will have more track pressure on the idlers for sure. But even with good sliders the wheels take a crap early when hitting stud heads. And moreso when stud heads are located on the silent bumps.

I dont think any of the cat wheels are super long lasting when compared to DOO wheels which I never had issues with, stud heads or not.

If you are replacing them anyway, you may want to search up a similar OD wheel from BRP. Not sure what is out there but would be worth it to get a better quality wheel for longevity.

Dan

A thinner slider will have more track pressure on the idlers for sure. But even with good sliders the wheels take a crap early when hitting stud heads. And moreso when stud heads are located on the silent bumps.

I dont think any of the cat wheels are super long lasting when compared to DOO wheels which I never had issues with, stud heads or not.

If you are replacing them anyway, you may want to search up a similar OD wheel from BRP. Not sure what is out there but would be worth it to get a better quality wheel for longevity.

Dan

The track i have does not have quiet bumps. :S All the sleds i've ever had.... never had wheels grenade like this. Going to get my front skid shock revalved, try another spring, and get stiffer torsion springs. see how that works. wondering if the few hard hits i took last season which bottomed out my skid may have broke them?

Hey everyone...

Surfing the thread today and thought i'd throw this out there.

Did anyone with a 2019 winder have any issues with their idlers breaking? All 6 of mine are TOAST!! Not worn out... actually broken right off!!

5000km season. I talked to my dealer who put in a warranty request. Yamaha said "he has studs, we will not cover that". All my studs are torqued and checked frequently. Definitely not studs. Also, what's their excuse for the outside of the skid?? I dont have studs there! The '19 wheels are definitely not as beefy as previous years. They have little contact with the outside rubber.

Not sure what to do here. They are relatively cheap to replace, however I don't want to have to go through this every season. I am considering putting a full set of 2018 wheels on which are a much more robust design.

2 questions...

1. Why did this happen?

2. Replace with 18 or 19 wheels?

side note... rear axle wheels are not looking that great either. Only the top skid wheels are still in good shape. Likely because they are solid.

Hope everyone is having a good summer!

View attachment 148847 View attachment 148848 View attachment 148849 View attachment 148850 View attachment 148851

Replaced both inner idlers yesterday for the second year in a row on 2019 SRX. Same "chunking" as yours but not on outers although they are starting to go after 6900 kms. What did you end up replacing them with and how did they hold up this season?

My 2018 the left side wheels would keep flexing and coming right off the bearing in handful of miles. Replaced with the new 2019 wheels and haven’t had any issues with them other than rubber chunking from studs. But never seen anything like that.

Why not 2017 wheels ?

Believe it or not I'm still running center hub with fourth wheel kit. No issues just repacking or replace bearing when needed. 129 skid. Outer wheels still factory. Two Inner wheels always chunked due to studs and the rubber ridge on the track. Still annoying since ny Apex wheels last forever.

I have 17 with 144 studs outside and center, no wheel s have worn, mine are cat wheels over 3000 miles

I have '17 Cat w over 5100 miles. 193 studs all in center. Stud heads are recessed/countersunk in track. Still have tri-hub. All wheels still great condition, nice and round, no chunking/cuts. Just check bearings each season/re-grease. Had very good luck with molded Cat wheels.

I have '17 Cat w over 5100 miles. 193 studs all in center. Stud heads are recessed/countersunk in track. Still have tri-hub. All wheels still great condition, nice and round, no chunking/cuts. Just check bearings each season/re-grease. Had very good luck with molded Cat wheels.
Are the cat wheels different from the Yamaha wheels? My 20 ate into the inner wheels, into the plastics after the rubber was gone in less than 1400 miles. 2 sets no less.

Are the cat wheels different from the Yamaha wheels? My 20 ate into the inner wheels, into the plastics after the rubber was gone in less than 1400 miles. 2 sets no less.

Cat/Yamaha wheels are the same. 17/18 models had great wheels and they last forever. Model year 19 and newer wheels are a tad smaller for more speed and are junk!!

Cat/Yamaha wheels are the same. 17/18 models had great wheels and they last forever. Model year 19 and newer wheels are a tad smaller for more speed and are junk!!

On my 17 the front inners need to be replaced yearly. Par for the course I suppose. I'm going to try an aftermarket wheel this time around and see how they hold up.

Back