• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 Winder Idler Wheels

So the 2017 wheels are different and or better ?

My 2017 LE with 5500 miles has all original wheels that still all look great.

But no studs and after most of my rides I am able to thaw and check the sled over for things that may need attention!

So yeah, two things to watch out for, stud problems and after ride ice build up. Those two have ruined wheels, tracks and coolers on my past sleds many times. But if those 19 wheels are that cheap Yamaha should go good for them no matter what!!

Almost forgot that I did replace rear wheels with a 4 wheel big wheel kit from JT because many said that tri-hub was known for quick failure on the previous year vipers.

Yes the 2019 wheels are different than any other wheel used in the past. the bearing is skinny and has a larger OD than before so you can not just swap out wheels or bearings.

They just keep making $hit cheaper and cheaper. Yamaha doesn’t seem to give a rats a$$ about quality anymore.
What a shame.

Yes it is a shame that Yamaha has lost it’s legendary reliability aspect with it’s sled components!
You all know what components I am speaking about if you own the Winder.
Really Yamaha, what is the worth in going cheap?

I and many like me did and would pay more for a better reliable sled. Of course it better be the fastest and most powerful also!

Yes it is a shame that Yamaha has lost it’s legendary reliability aspect with it’s sled components!
You all know what components I am speaking about if you own the Winder.
Really Yamaha, what is the worth in going cheap?

I and many like me did and would pay more for a better reliable sled. Of course it better be the fastest and most powerful also!

Worth a lot actually. Building reliable sleds has gotten them in a pickle thus far. New sled sales suffer, as well as not many replacement parts sales either.
The general public opinion has gotten us where we are today. If people actually cared more about quality it would reflect in sales of that product. Manufacturers would notice this and be forced to make higher quality products, this has not happened to any great extent.
Yamaha can see all the issues other manufacturers were having over the years but consumers continued to buy the sub standard products.
I’ve seen it first hand, guys who purchased real lemons, then go out and buy another lemon of the same flavor when other choices were clearly available.
With the Sidewinder there’s really nothing in the same category so we’re stuck with whatever quality yamaha gives us.
:dunno:
IMO this could backfire on yamaha somewhat due to the fact that many a yamaha faithful have ended up here because of knowing the value of reliability.

Worth a lot actually. Building reliable sleds has gotten them in a pickle thus far. New sled sales suffer, as well as not many replacement parts sales either.
The general public opinion has gotten us where we are today. If people actually cared more about quality it would reflect in sales of that product. Manufacturers would notice this and be forced to make higher quality products, this has not happened to any great extent.
Yamaha can see all the issues other manufacturers were having over the years but consumers continued to buy the sub standard products.
I’ve seen it first hand, guys who purchased real lemons, then go out and buy another lemon of the same flavor when other choices were clearly available.
With the Sidewinder there’s really nothing in the same category so we’re stuck with whatever quality yamaha gives us.
:dunno:
IMO this could backfire on yamaha somewhat due to the fact that many a yamaha faithful have ended up here because of knowing the value of reliability.

Yes I understand your point.
2 of my brothers also ride but do not have the speed itch that I have always had, so they are very happy with their old reliables, 03 Rx1 and 05 Vector which they just ride and ride and ride with minimal maintenance!

Hey everyone...

Surfing the thread today and thought i'd throw this out there.

Did anyone with a 2019 winder have any issues with their idlers breaking? All 6 of mine are TOAST!! Not worn out... actually broken right off!!

5000km season. I talked to my dealer who put in a warranty request. Yamaha said "he has studs, we will not cover that". All my studs are torqued and checked frequently. Definitely not studs. Also, what's their excuse for the outside of the skid?? I dont have studs there! The '19 wheels are definitely not as beefy as previous years. They have little contact with the outside rubber.

Not sure what to do here. They are relatively cheap to replace, however I don't want to have to go through this every season. I am considering putting a full set of 2018 wheels on which are a much more robust design.

2 questions...

1. Why did this happen?

2. Replace with 18 or 19 wheels?

side note... rear axle wheels are not looking that great either. Only the top skid wheels are still in good shape. Likely because they are solid.

Hope everyone is having a good summer!

View attachment 148847 View attachment 148848 View attachment 148849 View attachment 148850 View attachment 148851

Was it u that had a track sqeek when you slowly pulled away from a stop , when you changed your track ?

My two inner wheels were chewed up as well on '19 Winder. Outers fine. Studded up middle (144) therefore no warranty. Dealer can't put through for warranty w/o photos of track. Looks like new idlers every year if replaced with '19 OEM. Wife has 18 Viper with same track and stud pattern but double the kms and all idlers are good. As presumed earlier, 18 idler wheels might be better quality than 19's.
My idlers last exactly 1400 miles on inners with studs('18). So it looks like both older and newer style idlers wont last where running over stud heads.

My DOOs never had any issue lasting running over studs heads. Reason is, the Cat track with silent humps does not allow every stud to sit down into the rubber uniformly. Put on a regular track without silent humps and these Cat idlers would last similar to the DOOs.

The problem is the heads not sitting down in track due to silent drive style track. My outer wheels where no studs are, all look new.

Dan

My idlers last exactly 1400 miles on inners with studs('18). So it looks like both older and newer style idlers wont last where running over stud heads.

My DOOs never had any issue lasting running over studs heads. Reason is, the Cat track with silent humps does not allow every stud to sit down into the rubber uniformly. Put on a regular track without silent humps and these Cat idlers would last similar to the DOOs.

The problem is the heads not sitting down in track due to silent drive style track. My outer wheels where no studs are, all look new.

Dan

I made a cutter that sticks through the stud hole and trims the silent bumps off.
No doubt those new wheels are hollow junk.
Get some billet aluminum wheels and don’t worry about it any more, worth the cost in the long run and they look good.

Was it u that had a track sqeek when you slowly pulled away from a stop , when you changed your track ?

Yes. That was when i put the new track on. After a few miles put on the sled, that noise went away. We figured it was the track clips wearing in

Something is messed up brother....

I have seen a few VERY HI MILE 19s and wheels all look perfect. I was specifically wondering about the new wheels on the 19s so I was always asking anyone with very hi miles.

Stud heads chew up my '18 inner wheels too(rubber chunks off) but you have something else going on here IMO.

Dan

5100kms on the same pair of sliders which are paper thin... is it possible with them being worn right down that there is a lot more contact between the track and wheels? Thus if i were to have a hard hit in a whooped out trail, that would stress them more and cause the breakage?

Also wondering if i need to put a better front skid shock spring in it and maybe stiffer torsion springs. I had some hard hits last year and bottomed out pretty good.

5100kms on the same pair of sliders which are paper thin... is it possible with them being worn right down that there is a lot more contact between the track and wheels? Thus if i were to have a hard hit in a whooped out trail, that would stress them more and cause the breakage?

Also wondering if i need to put a better front skid shock spring in it and maybe stiffer torsion springs. I had some hard hits last year and bottomed out pretty good.

Don’t think the slides have much too do with it, the wheels are hollow junk. I have an old M10 suspension that has some original bogies with 17k miles on them, only the bearings have been replaced.
Yes the front skid spring was weak for my liking, I’m only 170lbs. You might want to try a heavier one.

Back