• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 Sled Season

Dan, I sled 50% of the time alone, I like going alone at times but there's inherent risk as you know, that's when I go on well traveled trails. When you don't have a cabin in Maine and only one sled then going with someone else mid week can be challenging but going to different places is so much better than riding the same trails all the time. Next season I will be fully retired and will have time to travel around to farther places to sled and doing the Gaspe is on the bucket list..keep it in mind, I don't want to make that trip alone lol.
You were very lucky to capture the picture of the Lynx, I've seen lots of deer moose and once a frozen bobcat that trapped itself in my brothers outhouse at his cabin in Newry...not a good sight.

well, season was not too bad other than intermittant sledding for febuary before covid shut down the trail system. got about 2000 km on the 16 apex for the season with 2 ty rides in january and some riding in at home. the 11 apex probably got 3500 km or more for the season as it went out a bunch of times while i was riding older 2 stroke sleds that where better suited to what we where doing at the time.

put some miles on the vk in december clearing trapper trails from the ice storm. that was bad as a 30 min ride took us 6 hours because of all the fallen trees we had to cut out. could not lift a chain saw after the 5th hr.

got a bit in at christmas with family and freinds around home and discovered that i needed to make a throttle restrictor for the 7 year old nephew for the et340 as he was sliding it around the corners and almost loosing his buddy in the yard before it got rolled from catching an edge on the ice by a freind.

feb was moving time as gf moved in with me and spent the moth (other than a couple of sanity saver rides) cleaning out her house and moving stuff into mine.

march, sick as a dog for a weekend and rode a bit the last weekend before they closed trails from snow melt around sudbury. then they closed the trails for covid.

Great batch of pictures looks like you had a great time there

We are already planning the RAP Tour here in Ontario for next winter. RAP means Round Algonquin Park.
We will leave from my buddies cabin in Madawaska and travel all the way around Algonquin Park. The trip is roughly 1000 km's so we are planning on a 3 night 4 day trip. You can you-tube others that have done it.
It is set up to accommodate gas, food and lodging all the way around the Park at multiple km markers depending on your riding demands . We have done some of the Tour over the last few years on over night trips but never the entire Tour. I just bought a 2014 like new ZR 6000 El Tigre with 3500 miles so am hoping one of my boys will come along. My butt will be sitting on my 7000 El Tigre, the 6000 may get some seat time also

Mt Baker 5-7-20.JPG
The Sisters, viewed from Mt Baker.JPG
Hans with the uglies in back ground.JPG
Mt Rainier in back ground, with Jim.JPG
View from on the glacier on Mt Baker.JPG
Some pics from last Thursday (5/7/20) on Mt Baker!
The mountain in the back ground with Jim, is Mt Rainier which is approx 100 miles away.

Last edited:
Awesome, awesome awesome pictures, that is one of those days im sure you will never forget...thanks for sharing. Joe

Just one word......WOW!!

My last ride of this season ended too soon! Glad I got it on tape so I can enjoy it over the summer.

Crazy deep almost pure powder in the hills.
The season ended when an Arctic Cat shaft in the suspension broke, resulting in the track breaking. I loved the powerclaw 3" because it just kept hammering on through the deepest and steepest like nothing else could.

I'll buy some reinforced shafts for the suspension, but I need a new 162" track. Got any recommendations?

Thanks Guys! Mt Baker is one of those places that if the weather is good, it's a great place to ride. If the weather is poor, not so much due to no visibility which doesn't allow you to see the potential hazards.

Going to try and go again Friday if the weather is good. Probably will be the last ride of the season though as it's been pretty warm here lately.

Back